Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Scavenging for supplies

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

I had never thought about that. There's a few wineries not far from here. I'd imagine these would be a little more overlooked and the liquor stores would be empty.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Do you have a robot?
    If nothing else there are times when there is thousands of unused bottles that could be used.

Another area would be quarries. These operations generally have a large supply of equipment and along with that fuel stocks.

For the Love of Cats

Wineries age most of their wine in large oak kegs. full, you'd need equipment to move them, Empty, they'd be great water containers. Used... would make some truly stellar swish.

Do you have a robot?
    Right you are it would be stellar.... The wineries in our area are now so big that they will specialize in reds or whites. (Does that make them racists?) Anyways the white only use large stainless steel containers that would be great for storage. The reds in oak barrels would pretty much take care of themselves. Wine is a food and it also has medicinal properties, you don't usually see any sick winos with the exception for drinking too much. For those that don't drink wine, just think of all that great vinegar..........

One area not mentioned is landfills. I have two marked on my maps that would be within a days travel by foot or bike. Assuming a long term situation, landfills would be great for non-edible supplies; building materials, containers, clothing. As a nation we throw away loads of perfectly funtional stuff.
    As far as an unmentioned food source, waste water plant sludge spreading fields. Sounds gross, but you would be surprised how many seeds pass through us and the plant and then grow in the sludge field. tomatoes are probably most prevalent. Not my first choice for seed sources, but better than nothing (if you dont have enough seeds already saved)

Do you have a robot?
    One thing that we have found about landfills is that they generate a lot of methane that ours have taped into. They all have small electrical generation plants on site so this might be something that could be used. Recycling is big in our area and this is a large part of the landfill. So chemicals and other ickies are sorted out. Also metals of all types and building materials are also sorted out.

Walking on Sunshine

I know this might not be too kosher but no one has mentioned the walk in clinics or "ready cares" that dot cities. While I' m sure most would be hit for drugs, there would probably be some medical supplies left if they had not been trashed in the initial looting spree. You might look for the smaller fuel depos. I have a small truck fueling station about four blocks away. it's tucked next to a rail line that runs thru the area part of a walking trail in the township. I believe only the truckers that use it and some in neighborhood that is around it knows it's there. We also have small manufacturing plants around us ,so that would be a source of equipment as well.

I haven't read all through all the posts yet, but did anyone mention about going to local recreational parks and looting the bathrooms of toilet paper and soap???

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

good idea, Molly. You can NEVER have too much butt wipe. That stuff is good as gold...........
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Do NOT mess with him while he's pumping gas.

Also don't forget that car dealerships have LARGE fuel tanks underground, usually near the back of service depts. and also have a parts dept. that would have lots of lubricants, tools, batteries for your sudden need to go solar, wiring stuff, fuses, tires, parts that may work on your car if it's a dealer that specializes in your make, etc. for a long term TEOTWAWKI issue, for what they pay at lots of dealerships, and what they paid me when I worked at one, not likely to be heavily guarded in a SHTF Funny thing is, the parts dept, likely has everything in stock that you'd need to build a fuel pump to get the fuel out of their tanks. Hose, 12v pump(s), batteries, tools in service dept. etc.
    Common sense is so rare these days, it should be re-classified as a super power.