Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dental Health

In his experience the hammer head is better

Dental Health

Posting this because I just came from the dentist today. I have not been there in over four years, after having my wisdom teeth pulled and having a bad experience I had not gone back. Finally the girlfriend convinced me to go. I walked out with no cavities but some pretty sore gums.

Moral of this experience is to take care of your teeth. I am going to start going every six months again. The hygienist told me I wasnt in too bad of shape for not going. She explained how my brushing was very good, but I sucked at flossing...ps I dont . There was some tartar build up along my gum lines that was pretty bad. Mind you I had no idea because I actually have fairley white teeth. The scraping took a while.

So it got me to thinking post shtf we need to plan for more than just brushing and flossing. Granted it got me by four years with no issues but eventually it will bite you in the ass. So lets hear what your plans are for dental health post shtf?

Personally I have alot of tooth paste, mouth wash, floss, and tooth brushes stocked, but thats about it for my dental preps. I also have a copy of the book "Where there is no dentist." That sums mine up lets hear what you got.

Claptrap's Problem Solver

Chinook Dental Kit

Chinook Tactical Medical Module - Dental (TMMTM-DE)
    NSN: 6520-01-565-3926
    DAPA: SP0200-08-H-0030
    CEC: SPM2D0-09-D-0009

The TMMTM-DE provides everything needed to treat Dental Emergencies in the field. Vacuum packed in a resealable zip closure bag for easy access and storage.

Contents:

2 Nitrile Gloves, Large, OD
    2 Nitrile Gloves, Medium, OD
    1 Mouth Mirror
    1 Dental Floss, 25 yd. OD
    1 Wax Stick
    1 Spatula
    4 Toothpicks
    1 Tweezers
    3 Orasol Packet
    1 Clove Oil (Eugenol)
    1 Dentemp OS (Filling Material)
    1 Actcel Hemostatic Gauze, 2" x 2"
    10 Cotton Pellets
    5 Cotton Roll
    3 Gauze Dressing, 3"x3", 2's
    8 Ibuprofen, 200 mg Tablet
    1 Hazardous Waste Bag
    1 Instructions

Or if that fails....

This:

+

If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

Claptrap's Problem Solver

I'm in the same boat. Haven't been in probably 5+ years. I've forgotten actually its been so long.

We need to stock up on toothpaste and floss because I hear nothing can knock you out like a toothache.

Great reminder.
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

In his experience the hammer head is better

Awesome kit for emergencies I will order a few of those in the near future. What about long term upkeep, Cleanings and the such? This experience has got me thinking, I think I will be delving into where there is no dentist, since I havent read that yet.

I'll most likely shit myself

You got me to. It's been several years since I've been to a dentist myself. And this is one area of our preps we are sorely lacking in. I will be getting the chinook kit. It looks pretty good.
    I have downloaded WTIN dentist. haven't had a chance to read it yet.
    As far as a toothache putting you out of action, I can tell you for certain IT CAN. I got an abcessed tooth 20+ years ago, started the morning off helping a buddy move into a new house. I started hurting my noon. By 5pm I was in a lot of pain and had no painkillers at home, so I sent the wife out to get something to drink. She brought back a bottle of wild turkey and I proceeded to drink until the pain let up. Needless to say I was shitfaced by this point. I woke up about 5am in worse pain than I was in the day before, plus I was hungover. We were able to get a emergency office visit set up with a dentist in the group we went to.
    I ended up with a root canal which sucked in itself but eventually eased the pain, I can say in no uncertain terms, if the SHTF in that situation I would have been screwed no two ways about it.

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

I shudder to think about dental health in an emergency........ I think that would be worse than getting sick
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Where's the epi?

Just remember to rotate your toothpaste because it DOES go bad.
    I apologize for nothing...

Quote Originally Posted by apssbc View Post
    Personally I have alot of tooth paste, mouth wash, floss, and tooth brushes stocked, but thats about it for my dental preps. I also have a copy of the book "Where there is no dentist." That sums mine up lets hear what you got.
    Dental hygiene is one of my BIGGEST concerns come SHTF time. I've got what you have plus I bought some clove oil and zinc oxide powder to make fillings if I need too. PLEASE get in the habit of flossing every day to keep your teeth and gums healthy. They shouldn't bleed while flossing. Gosh! Just thinking about it makes me want to go brush and floss right now lol!

Btw, I had a terrible toothache a couple of years ago due to a cavity I let go too long. It was one of the most horrible experiences I've ever had. Toothaches will literally knock you on your ass. And you can't lie down either because it forces more blood into the tooth and hence more pain! I had to sit up all weekend before I could go to the dentist!
    Last edited by mollypup; 02-24-2012 at 01:17 PM.

Thunder Lizard Canning Club Chapter of the Old Farts Society

I'm in the process of rebuilding my mouth. Because I'm seasoned my teeth are cracked and I have had some cavities. The worst one was under a 20 year old crown. I can tell you that I really was a grumpy sumbeach with that one. I also have one incisor that has a groove in it from biting my fishing line over the years. So, my prep focus this year is investing in my mouth and getting my crowns etc replaced.

Baking soda and salt making a good toothpaste substitute. I also have some pepsodent tooth powder that I get in Missouri whenever I'm back there. But usually I use Arm and Hammer toothpaste because, as I remarked in another thread, I'm getting lazy in my old age, to the point where I am using an ultrasonic toothbrush.
    Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me Liberty or give me death." Patrick Henry, Virginia House of Burgesses, March 23, 1775

Quo Vadis?

Luke 22:36, And he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

emergencyfoodssupplies.com

Where's the epi?

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Man View Post
    Baking soda and salt making a good toothpaste substitute.
    You can add hydrogen peroxide to that instead of water.
    I apologize for nothing...