Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What to look for in a tent

I'll most likely shit myself

Quote Originally Posted by cwconnertx View Post
    They all have different uses, but lately unless I am sharing with others, I don't use a tent when hiking, just a bivy sack with a tarp.
    CW, what Bivy sack do you have? The netting feature sounds AWESOME. Does it have a Gore Tex shell? What size is it, is it roomy enough?
    I've looked at them for years, but never pulled the trigger. The last one I looked at was a Oregon Research model, Gore Tex and large size. Don't remember the details. I'm rather large, 6'-4" 275, so having something roomy would be great.

For the Love of Cats

I have several now, and have had dozens over the years. Both my wife and I enjoy camping in remote areas... thus, tenting.

whenever possibly I take my 'big' tent, as it is the most comfortable, especially for a week+ trip. Both of us can stand up (and walk around in it), we can set up two large cots, and it has a vestibule large enough to be comfortable.

A few years ago, we spent 4 days without leaving the tent aside from personal needs and to re-tie, during a torrential rainstorm. we had our chairs set up in the vestibule, we cooked in there (with vents open), we could relax, read, play cards, etc.

basically like this: Costco - Outdoor Works Nahanni 5 Family Tent

I also have a smaller backpack tent, for when we're hiking in rather than canoeing or boating... and a heavier double wall for late fall hunting.

great list... that's what I mentally go through when I buy one, although you have to remember that not every tent will have every check from the list. you need to determine what features you want, and go from there.

IMO

Do you have a robot?
    Tents are like guns I like them and have several. The family one that I will carry in my truck is a lot heavier than any backpacking tent that I have. There is no way that I will be packing out the large one, just too heavy. Sniper T do you have the Nahanni? I was looking at picking one up since my kid destroyed my other large one how is it holding up.

One of the best things that you can do if you have a son that is in Boy Scouts is to participate in their camp outs. This way you will be able to see a bunch of different styles of tents and maybe even try them out. Better yet if you become a scout master or assistant you can write them off on your taxes. That said when my son started out we had one tent for the two of us, that lasted only one trip. After that we had separate tents. If you are going to have a larger tent and someone will be sharing it they can share the load. As he got older we stated looking into the minimalist route, we went smaller and lighter. Now we each have a tent that is big enough for two people and all our gear as well as a small single tent. My one concern is that in a SHTF situation is how long would they last for daily use. One thing that I should have done was buy only 4 season tents, they are better built but heavier. If you have ever camped in the snow it is a good thing to have.

I have considered a bivy and really like the idea but most of them are heavier that my tents. However most of the ones that I have looked are are substantially better built then most backpacking tents. If you take a look and are going to upgrade you sleeping bag consider a system that includes a bivy. You have to look at the trade off, personally I want something that is going to last. So a bivy is on my list to buy. I think that it is the way to go, I am considering the Wiggy. If anyone has experience with them I would appreciate feedback.

One other consideration is there are a lot of great tents out there but not so many that are not a nice sky blue or yellow. I try to get mine in as subdued colors as possible. Most are not geared toward a SHTF situation.

So where do you buy them. If you search the internet there are a huge number of retailers. The one that I have used in the past is REI the store, however you can buy on line at REI.com. REI is a membership store and they will give you a kick back at the end of the year. I have gotten up to $300+ one year when I was buying a bunch of gear. The thing that I like about them is all their equipment is returnable up to one year without any questions, so if it is ripped to shreds they will take it back. They have great service. NO I do not have any association with them. Another company that I used when I was in Socal was Adventure 16. If nothing else find a good store around you so you can see what you will be buying. Then shop it on the internet and buy there. Don't buy it and not use it, it may not serve your purpose.

Premium Member

My backpacking tent is a Kelty Crestone 1. It's an awesome one man tent. I have an Eddie Bauer tent for backyard camping with the kiddos, but it's just that. For bug out situations, I'm working on that, but so far, a bivvy seams to be the best option, and a jungle pattern camo tarp. But most of my backpacking stuff is Kelty or REI as mentioned before. There's several in the Atlanta area where I'm from, and I've used the website as well. Good quality stuff.

Dont worry about shitting yourself
    I have a big family sized tent, a couple GI two man tents, and a 1 person tent.
    The big one is all canvas, and probably at least 40yrs old. It's way too heavy to carry, and is in two duffle sized bags, but is till an awesome tent.It is starting to show its age, and will have to be replaced.
    The GI tents are all from the 60s, so they are real canvas also.
    The one man is a Eureka! TCOP, and single person tent built for the military. It does have an NSN #. It is a tent with rain fly having vestibules on two sides for your gear, and is a 4 season tent. The rainfly is camo on one side, and desert tan on the other. Screens are blackout, and a flashlight doesn't show through, I checked. It is small, I'm about 6'2", and my head just touches the roof sitting up, but it's plenty long enough. It is also quite light, and packs small.
    It isn't cheap, however, ordered direct from Eureka! at about $325. But, you get what you pay for most times.

Crotch Rocket

Another topic I feel is worthy or revisiting.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

For the Love of Cats

not much more to add, except that you should never pack a tent wet, if at all possible, and if not, then set it up to dry ASAP.

Another thing that is invaluable is tent spray. for either canvas or nylon. every couple of years I give mine a good spray down, and they stay dry inside.

Something we use for the noseeums, is simply citronella candles. hang one in front of every mesh window, vent or opening. But don't light them (for obvious reasons). Just the smell of the candle works very well to keep them out.
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Does NOT use a snake bit sucker kit on snake bits

I highly recommend sealing the seam like the above suggested no matter the tent maker.

Every tent that I've ever owned the first thing that I do with it is set it up in the backyard and seal all the seams from the outside and also the inside even if it was seam taped. I've used many different seam sealers and I like this one the most...

It's more like a glue then others, has a good applicator and it really holds up well but when you apply it you absolutely have to have the tent pitched and let it dry 24hr before taking it down.
    You don't need to be the strongest
    or the most intelligent to survive
    but by having the right tools and
    the adaptability of change
    is where you will prevail.

Crotch Rocket

Quote Originally Posted by Gunfixr View Post
    The one man is a Eureka! TCOP, and single person tent built for the military. It does have an NSN #. It is a tent with rain fly having vestibules on two sides for your gear, and is a 4 season tent.
    I just saw this again tonight, and my sleep deprived and feverish brain wonders how well the tent design would lend itself to the addition of a stove. The vestibules look large enough for it.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

I'll most likely shit myself

Personally I don't like cooking in my tent. It puts of a huge amount of moisture and tends to draw critters to you sleeping area. I do however have a Kelty 4 season tent that has a zip out section in the vestibule that makes running a stove safer. I just have never been a fan.