Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Flashlights

stark assed naked and butt to nut with no issues
    Just like Lunchbox, Im a Surefire Gear Whore. I swear by them because I know that they work when I need them too, and I only have to buy one type of battery. I bought a case (144) cr123's and they power up all of the flashlights that I have in the BOB's & GHB's & BOV's. Myself, while some people want different size flashlights, I use one type, and go with commonality, this way I can even interchange parts if I need to. One thing of note, if you want a brighter/higher lumen light, I would suggest getting CREE LED bulbs, I have a bunch of them that I bought to interchange with my surefires. This way, I have incandesent and LED, in various light wattages. Plus some CREE bulbs are actually multi-function. hi beam, low beam, strobe, ect ect. I spend the money on them, and they arent cheap, but they are a durable piece of gear thats worth it.
    RELIGION IS LIKE A PENIS
    Its fine to have one,
    Its fine to be proud of it,
    But please dont whip it out in public and start waving it around,
    And PLEASE dont try to force it down my children's throats.

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.

Dont worry about shitting yourself
    Well, I bought the cheaper lights for around the house general use. They mostly sit on shelves and in drawers all over the house, waiting to be needed. The EDC I have, and the one I gave to my wife for EDC aren't cheap. Neither is the one by the bed at night.
    Once again, buy cheap, get cheap.
    Doesn't seem to matter where I try to save a few bucks, I always get screwed in the end.
    Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers.
    Liberty is a Man-Of-War, and we are all crew.

Damn the propane, save the bacon!

Quote Originally Posted by Stormfeather View Post
    Just like Lunchbox, Im a Surefire Gear Whore. I swear by them because I know that they work when I need them too, and I only have to buy one type of battery. I bought a case (144) cr123's and they power up all of the flashlights that I have in the BOB's & GHB's & BOV's. Myself, while some people want different size flashlights, I use one type, and go with commonality, this way I can even interchange parts if I need to. One thing of note, if you want a brighter/higher lumen light, I would suggest getting CREE LED bulbs, I have a bunch of them that I bought to interchange with my surefires. This way, I have incandesent and LED, in various light wattages. Plus some CREE bulbs are actually multi-function. hi beam, low beam, strobe, ect ect. I spend the money on them, and they arent cheap, but they are a durable piece of gear thats worth it.
    I can second the Cree bulbs. I use them also in my 6Ps'
    Be ready now, you won't have that chance later.

I usually do look for the Cree bulbs.
    Funny, I put the Cree bulb Surefire sells for the 6P in mine, and I was kind of disappointed. If it weren't for the runtime, I'd put the original bulb back in.

Do NOT mess with him while he's pumping gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunfixr View Post
    I usually do look for the Cree bulbs.
    Funny, I put the Cree bulb Surefire sells for the 6P in mine, and I was kind of disappointed. If it weren't for the runtime, I'd put the original bulb back in.
    It's the reflector. The parabola in the original incandescent sure fires was a little different, AND the CREE LED doesnt sit as high into the parabola as the incandescent did. When we swapped out from the Luxeon K2 diode in our light, it was WAY brighter, but because the Diode was about 1/2 the height above the circuit board than the K2 was, the reflector design was inadequate even though it was a much brighter light (250 lumens) up from right at 200. The main issue was a hollow spot in the middle of the hotspot.
    Common sense is so rare these days, it should be re-classified as a super power.

I think it came with a reflector. They all do. Surefire says they do that so they can set the bulb at the right place to get the beam they want, and the owner doesn't have to worry about tolerances messing with the beam when they replace burned out bulbs. I took out the one part made by Surefire, and put in the other part made by them.

FWIW:

I run Surefires on guns, nothing else gets mounted on them for white light useage. I run anything from X300 Ultra, P2X Fury, to a M600 Scout. Adding in anything with NOD's will also add the need for an IR illuminator, plenty of options there and a different subject.

Handhelds:
    Surefires are always GTG, but the couple year old Protac line from Streamlight has impressed me. If I wanted a $50 EDC light, I would be very tempted to get one. Currently I EDC a 4 year old E1B from Surefire and change the battery about every 3-6 months. I use a Surefire R1 Lawman for work and charge it about every 3 grave yard shifts.

Headlamps:
    Black Diamond, Princeton Tec. Unless you need a metal framed body, then the Surefire line will help.

Helmet lights:
    Princeton Tec is where its at.

Battery wise, I keep AA, AAA and Surefire CR123's on hand. En Masse. I wish I could get some good headlamps in AA instead of AAA then I wouldn't need to stock as many AAA.

I'll most likely shit myself

Check out the Petzel headlamps. I have used them for years. I have one thats nearing 30 yo. I also have a couple of newer models that live in my GHBs. I have yet to have a failure and they make several models depending on your needs.

I EDC'd a 6P for many years, but now, with the hi/lo features, I wanted a more "universal" light. I just recently purchased a couple of the Streamlight Polytac lights. It is pushbutton on the end, with the capability to be programmed for three different modes. There is high/strobe/low, high only, or low/high. In high/strobe/low, if you just push the button, you get high (rated 275 lumens for 3hrs, a 195m beam, 9,500cd). If you push it partway, and fully in the second time, you get strobe (275 lumens for 5.5hrs). If you push it partway twice and in the third time, you get low (14 lumens for 65hrs, a 45m beam, 500cd). The light is rated for a 1m drop, and waterproof to 3m. Says ratings are ANSI/NEMA FL1-2009 Standard. Also meets requirements of NFPA 1971-8.6 (2007). Polymer body, has a clip, C4 LED, uses 2 CR123s. Paid $36 each.
    Time will tell, but I like them so far. I have had a Streamlight TLR-1 weaponlight for some time, and like it a lot. I know Surefire is good, but Streamlight has proven good enough for me at substantial savings, which means more lights and batteries. I do also have a Streamlight Sidewinder, the military model that has IR. It uses AAs.
    I have considered the same, all CR123s for lights, and skip the BS. I may get another Sidewinder or so, and another or two of these Polytacs, and call it good. I like lights in the vehicles, on my person, and scattered about the house. But, really, small maglights can lay about the house. I want good lights for carry, and good lights in the vehicles, and a good light at bedside. The only ones that really need super brightness, IMHO, are the carry, vehicles, and bedside. The house lights are just for when the power goes out, to get around until the lanterns get lit.
    Headlamps are Petzl. I do also wish they were AA, I'd not need AAA.

I have switched all to LED lighting and sold off my G2/6P's to Surefire collectors covering the upgrade costs of G2X or P2X Fury's.

For a EDC (CCW/Off Duty) light, I prefer to run a single cell dual output light. If I'm in a higher threat area, I'll have a G2X singe stage light with Raven pocket clip instead of the normal E1B.

I would like to have AA headlamps so I can be AA/CR123 only for my battery needs. Surefires, NOD's, PEQ's, etc all force me to be a dual battery stocker.