Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Freezer prep for power outages

Thinks it might be German

Freezer prep for power outages

Most of you have probably read that Bacpacker was hit by the recent ice storm, and lost power. One of the concerns for many of us, is lost food in the Freezer when the power goes out.
    I live in Greensboro NC, and though we don't see much snow, we usually get quite a bit of ice, and the power outages that follow close behind.
    One thing that I've found to extend the freezer temperatures a little longer during a power outage, is to keep bottles of water in the freezer.
    I use 2 liter soda bottles and 59oz orange juice bottles washed and filled with water to 2 inches below the cap (freeze expansion). I use these bottles to fill up any open spaces in the freezer, reducing the amount of air (which warms quicker) in the freezer.
    In essence, making the freezer a big ice cooler, and keeping the door shut as much as possible.
    These bottles also double as a backup potable water source if I ever needed them.

If this idea has already been posted, I do apologize.

Edit:::: Dang!!! Probably should have put this under food and water!
    The 12 Gauge... It's not just for rabbits anymore.

For the Love of Cats

It's been touched on a couple times, but given BP's current status, a reminder is due. Hopefully he can add his input when he has time.

Oh, and I moved it for you.
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

finally pooped
    I do that currently as I'm in 70 degree winters and my freezer is outside in it. Makes it so much more efficient!!! Only ever turns on like once a day.

For the Love of Cats

lol. My 'outside' freezer hasn't turned on in 3 months... don't expect it to for another 2.

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

finally pooped
    ST- you should get a dislike because I WISH I was there.

I'll most likely shit myself

This is an excellent idea. We do keep some water in our chest freezer. We didn't have any in the upright, but I will be adding some in it as more in the chest. It is a great water storage area.

One thing I think helped keep ours cold enough was the fact they are in the basement. Temps down there has stayed in the mid thirties. Freezers didn't need to work much.

For the Love of Cats

Careful what you wish for James... My Atomic clock craps out at -40, and it's been off more than on lately.

finally pooped
    Atomic clock? And that's actually kind of exciting to me that you are getting those kind of temps. The lowest I have slept in outside camping is -20 static but I dunno what the wind chill was because it was VERY windy. When I lived in michigan though I kept my bedroom cold enough that a glass of water had frost in it overnight while I slept.

I love everything to do with the cold. I'm dying down here.

plenty of extra room "down his pants"
    Im thinking that if he lost power due to ice, it must be cold out, so possibly stow the food outside?

Otherwise a generator is a practical backup.

Last option is to be setup with a propane freezer. Costly, but uses no juice.

EB
    "Takes .357 to the field... every time..."
    "AR - America's Rifle"
    "Bushido, an honourable way of life"

Do you have a robot?
    I agree I like propane. I have used it in the past for refrigeration and never had a problem when using propane. When the cabin is done I know it will be spendy but I'm going with propane. Growing up we used to have the freezer under the house, it didn't work as hard. As for -40 degree weather, that's a little toooooooo cold.