Quote Originally Posted by Socalman View Post
So our strawberries have just been going bonkers. We (ok, my wife mostly) has picked and picked. We have had so many that a few spoiled. She picked a very large bowl this evening, we just finished eating some strawberries with whipped cream. Tomorrow, I think I will make my first attempt at dehydrating strawberries.

Our oranges are very good this year, lots of juice in each fruit. The blueberries are just about ripe. Tasted one today that looked about ripe but it still had some tartness to it. Try again Sunday. Due to the recent hot weather here, in the 90's, most of our lettuce has bolted. I will let it go to seed. Kale is doing well again, I won the aphid battle, though the war never ends. Boysenberries have set and looking good. Our grapes have now set the little berries that become grapes and it appears to be a good crop, if only we can get it before the bears do!
I'm jealous I would like to grow citrus but we get too many cold snaps, I have a hard enough time just keeping the lemons and mandarins from getting frost bit. This year they are getting a set of christmas lights to keep them warm when we get a frost.

I just finished putting four yards of planters mix in the raised beds. I also got what was left over from last years compost pile and added a bunch of material to it. I mixed it up real good some of it is still real wet. I have about ten yards worked up so since it is getting hot now I should have some good compost to spread around sometime in June.

We had so much rain this winter nothing could be planted early. So we planted inside. It seems everything took and is growing good. We have melons, cantaloupe and crain, peppers bell and jalapeno, five different types of tomatoes, spaghetti and crookneck squash.

The fruit trees were all pruned and sprayed this year. We had lots of starter cherries but now they are all gone, nothing is eating them. Almonds, pears, apricots, apples, plums and nectarines are all coming in good. The pomegranates I'm not sure about right yet. They were cut back a lot and had a nice bunch of buds but the heavy raining may have taken their toll. We landscape several areas of the yard with strawberries and they are taking off. I want to plant a bunch of blueberries this year, we only got a few last year. For those of you who have blueberries I understand they like an acid soil? What do you add to them? Thanks