Thread: how to set a handheld radio to a specific frequency of 420 mhz

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brownwater Riverrat 13 View Post
    OK so you're in the Chesapeake and your buddy's in TN. How's that working for ya? What bands have given you the best results? I run a Yaesu ft-857 with an inverted V.....G5RV Lite. So I can reach out there a bit.

Ahhh ok...thanks for the clarification Brownwater Riverrat 13. I was not exactly sure as to what you meant by "Application" but I got it now.

That particular application has worked out fine most of the nights we have used it. We often meet on 3947 kHz on the Virginia PHone net...and when the net gets done we QSY to the lower end of the 75 meter band...somewhere around 3610 to 3650KHZ..LSB. A lot of nights we just run what is in our radios...less than 100 watts ..but under difficult conditions I run my Yaesu FT 890 hooked up to my Ameritron 811H..amp...about 250 watts usually makes do. On his end...my friend works about 350 to 400 watts. We are not looking to light up the whole neighborhood....so to speak.

In my truck I run the Yaseu FT 100 d....and hope to make the contact with him on 75 meters..but think I will have to go down by the river and put some water between him and myself...to make it.

The 500 Foot wire loop antenna I run here at the house seems to be very efficient for what it is...but it is up some 60 to 85 feet up in the tops of my trees....having been threaded up there with a fishing pole. Now some sections of it have come loose with all this high winds we have had the last couple of days and I will be restringing it...and replacing some of the damaged pulleys in the system. NO problem as I an getting much better at it with practice over the years.

Oh..my friend convinced me to use ladder line on my wire loop...instead of coaxial cable and to date it has worked out fine.

I have several G5RV antennas I keep for spares and emergency antennas and have used one up in the mountains at a cabin we rented. It worked out find to contact my friend out in Tennessee for the week we were there.
    The G5RV is a good antenna for the monies and covers a lot of frequency band for as simple as it is. I like them...there is a lot to say for the olde "Keep it Simple."

Not a big priority at the moment but I am considering updating my smaller set ups to a FT 857 in the future. A lot of frequency coverage in that little radio for the size it is.
    I thought when I got my FT 100 d that it was small....I was stunned to find that Yaesu made that rig smaller in the FT 857.
    Just when you thought they could not make them smaller...the did just that!!

As for best results....we have worked 160 meters in the evenings and made the trip but like 75 meters best. We have also made the trip in the daytime ...on 40 meters but prefer nights at 75 meters.

Oh...ok...I just noticed that you are also in Tennessee...

My friend is near Johnson City, Tennessee.

Hope this helps you understand better our conditions when we get on the air waves.

Thanks, and 73,

Orangetom
    Last edited by orangetom1999; 03-05-2018 at 03:28 AM.