Page 62 of 389 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472112162 ... LastLast

Thread: What have you done to prep this week?

Crotch Rocket

I traded out a redundant shotgun for a hi-point carbine this week. Mostly as something fun to play with that'll get more use than the shotgun did.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

New Sneakers for my Honda civic (a.k.a- the Danger Cart)
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

GunnerMax
    Picked up one of these: CRKT M16-14ZSF Tactical Knives from Kit Carson for $37. Not at the $74 they have listed. I love military exchange prices.

They have these for $90 CRKT M16-14T EDC Knives from Kit Carson

stark assed naked and butt to nut with no issues
    Dried a banana tree worth of bananas over the weekend plus a bushel of apples. All bagged up and ready for storage!

Do NOT mess with him while he's pumping gas.

Picked up some Motorkote for the cars, both vehicles are getting "long in the tooth" so we want to get as much out of them as possible, this is our scheduled maintenance month now that I'm actually busy again at work. I'm gonna try some of it on one of the guns too, I've heard really good things, and have limited experience with it. With gas going up, it is going to reduce my ability to do the little PM on my truck, and I'm trying to get my vehicles more organized for efficient use of the space, and obviously weight = crappier mileage after a certain point. I was telling wife the other day that if we had to bug out, we need to add an hour to the packing so I can clean the truck out. It's bad.
    Common sense is so rare these days, it should be re-classified as a super power.

Do NOT mess with him while he's pumping gas.

Today, I built a small medicine bottle sized sewing kit for the GHB. This will grow up to be a repair kit, complete with spare buckles and straps for gear, but it has some basics in it to get me started..

Contents:

1-small needle, 1-medium sized needle, 1-small upholsterer's needle (the curved kind) 100 ft. lightweight OD green thread, wrapped around an industrial strength wire tie, (think bread tie, but plastic coated, and longer) going to replace thread with heavier thread when I find it, 2- OD BDU buttons, 1-tan colored medium sized button, 1-brown slightly smaller than BDU button, 1-small white button (golf shirt size) 20 feet lightweight black thread, 1-small binder clip for holding fabric together while sewn, 2-Mil Spec Black Safety Pins from an AR 15 ammo bandolier I cut up, and 2 feet of 1 1/4" OD nylon webbing for strap repair, or seam reinforcement in the field that I salvaged from a pile of AR ammo bandoliers. This is going to go into a small med kit that is being repurposed as an organizer for extra stuff that may be needed in the field for general gear repairs, so I'll be adding a small fishing kit in another medicine bottle, which will also give me the option of using fishing line to sew where heavy duty stitching is needed. I'll also be adding some form of container for an extra spring, extractor, some pins, etc for my AR that is going to get build this spring, it's going to have a spare bolt/firing pin insert for the magpul grip on the gun, but I think its a good idea to have a few more parts on-hand, and they're light anyway. I'm hoping to have room for some extra fastex buckles, and chicago screws, that I've salvaged over the years from throw away stuff, or doing gear mods. I've already got spare webbing, safety pins, etc. in my BOB, but not in the GHB. I've already got a medicine bottle with a full rebuild kit including the LED/heat sync/driver, springs, reflector, lens, O-rings, switch, switch cover, and switch housing for my lightstick flashlight that will go in this kit as well. I've still got a spare driver/LED/Heat sync in a faraday cage for EMP-SHTF just in case. I really want this kit I'm building to cover Load Bearing repairs, Lighting repair, Clothing repair.
    Common sense is so rare these days, it should be re-classified as a super power.

Damn the propane, save the bacon!

Got my Saber battery in. What is really nice is it fits in my Sheriff Office radio charger so I didn't have to purchase one.

Went to Wally-world and found medical supplies on sale for $.88 each. Here is a small list of the 34 items I picked up...Tablets--sinus, chest conjestion, aspirin, allergy, ibuprofen, anti-diarrheal, cold relief, antacids. Cream--hydrocortisone, foot. Then nasal spray, tussin, epsom salt, medicated powder and ankle braces. I bought 2 of everything and they were all only $.88 each.

Picked up 2 more cases of canning jars ($5.00 each) and 100 lids ($1.00 for 10) for the wife and plan on going back soon.
    Be ready now, you won't have that chance later.

GunnerMax
    Quote Originally Posted by ak474u View Post
    Today, I built a small medicine bottle sized sewing kit for the GHB. This will grow up to be a repair kit, complete with spare buckles and straps for gear, but it has some basics in it to get me started..

Contents:

1-small needle, 1-medium sized needle, 1-small upholsterer's needle (the curved kind) 100 ft. lightweight OD green thread, wrapped around an industrial strength wire tie, (think bread tie, but plastic coated, and longer) going to replace thread with heavier thread when I find it, 2- OD BDU buttons, 1-tan colored medium sized button, 1-brown slightly smaller than BDU button, 1-small white button (golf shirt size) 20 feet lightweight black thread, 1-small binder clip for holding fabric together while sewn, 2-Mil Spec Black Safety Pins from an AR 15 ammo bandolier I cut up, and 2 feet of 1 1/4" OD nylon webbing for strap repair, or seam reinforcement in the field that I salvaged from a pile of AR ammo bandoliers. This is going to go into a small med kit that is being repurposed as an organizer for extra stuff that may be needed in the field for general gear repairs, so I'll be adding a small fishing kit in another medicine bottle, which will also give me the option of using fishing line to sew where heavy duty stitching is needed. I'll also be adding some form of container for an extra spring, extractor, some pins, etc for my AR that is going to get build this spring, it's going to have a spare bolt/firing pin insert for the magpul grip on the gun, but I think its a good idea to have a few more parts on-hand, and they're light anyway. I'm hoping to have room for some extra fastex buckles, and chicago screws, that I've salvaged over the years from throw away stuff, or doing gear mods. I've already got spare webbing, safety pins, etc. in my BOB, but not in the GHB. I've already got a medicine bottle with a full rebuild kit including the LED/heat sync/driver, springs, reflector, lens, O-rings, switch, switch cover, and switch housing for my lightstick flashlight that will go in this kit as well. I've still got a spare driver/LED/Heat sync in a faraday cage for EMP-SHTF just in case. I really want this kit I'm building to cover Load Bearing repairs, Lighting repair, Clothing repair.
    ak474u, i have a massive amount of tan and black buckles of varying sizes if you want to just buy 1 or 2 pairs for your kit. shoot me a PM if interested. this goes for anyone actually

On a side note, A button came off of my uniform yesterday, and I realized, in my haste, I did not pack up my sewing kit for deployment. So, I have to pay the local Hadji to sew on my button. I feel like a dumbass. lol

stark assed naked and butt to nut with no issues
    GunnerMax, which theater are you currently deployed in? Just curious since Ive wanted to get some more Morale Scrolls and none of my buddies are currently deployed in a theater with a hadji sewing shop!

In his experience the hammer head is better

Ive been wanting a Gerber LHR for a while. I found one for $50 new out of package. Got it today and I think I am in love, I kind of wish I would have bought both. The grip is very positive and I dont see this slipping. The blade seems quite tough and the sheath is a retention sheath. The knife is alot bigger than the LMF (pictured together) and will take up some real estate on my kit, but I believe it will be a good trade off. Doing knife fighting drills with was awesome, it balances well and moves very nicely. I will take it out and beat it up a little next time I hit the bol.

Ugh looking at the pics I realize I need to 1. Kepp my dog off the couch, and 2. Vacuum.
    Last edited by apssbc; 02-29-2012 at 04:01 PM.
    "When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty." Thomas Jefferson
    "It's less dangerous, to run across a wild animal than a stranger." Vasily Peskov