Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What to look for in a tent

Crotch Rocket

What to look for in a tent

I go back and forth on it, but the allure of adding a stove jack for wood heat on a cold winter's night sounds awesome to me. Since the vestibules are floorless I thought it might be a viable option here.

I lean this way because there's a good chance I'm a cold sleeper. I'm not sure yet exactly how to determine that, but I'm usually reaching for the afghan at the foot of my bed if it drops to 65 or so in my house. Otherwise I'm good wÍth a sheet and a light blanket.

ETA: oh, and also because there are places I'd like to camp that prohibit open fires.

I'll have to remember the cooking concerns as I get out more. There aren't any critters I worry about in my neck of the woods.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

I call big spoon.
    Back from the dead...... I had went back and forth between my choice of shelter. My options were;
    Keep my old 2 man eureka 2 man backpacking tent which was heavy, especially when adding the rain fly and annex.

Pick one of the kifaru tarps which they offer a large variety of as well as stoves. The result would be the most lightweight but I wanted a floor though the stove was appealing but I'm not sure I'd want moisture or scent built up in my sleeping area.

Or get the mountain hardware hunker tent. It's a 1 man 4 season tent. I've eyed it for well over a year and even passed up a few sales. It was expensive just like the tarp options but my end result was to have something quick and easy to put up.
    Being a 4 season it has no fly and it has a lined interior so you're not getting condensation accumulating.a 3 pole design with included stakes and guy lines. It's a very low profile tent so forget about sitting up but I'm 6 feet tall and have plenty of head and foot room. It's shape provides room for gear and it has a flap over the main door for securing to another tent, trekking poles or sticks. Or securing to the ground. The main door is screened and it does have a smaller non screened door for observation. Or to easily get out of to take a late night piss.
    Plenty of loops inside to hang a light. It's a dark grey lining and a coyote brown tent so it's pretty hard to light up but not much light shines through.

At about 4 pounds 5 ounces I think it's advertised it's not light compared to a backpacking tent. But for a 4 season free standing tent that you set up in any weather it will shine. It's design will allow snow to not build up on it easily and water will run off the back. I forgot to mention it has a little prop in each end to open a screened vent. I've also read that having no fly will prevent the buildup of snow between the tent and fly in the winter.

I've set it up a few times in my house. I'll take it out in the spring and see how it does. My first choice of shelter was my tarp, bug net and hammock but I wanted something warmer, faster to set up and can be used anywhere.

I'll try putting up some pics when I can.

I call big spoon.
    http://s642.photobucket.com/user/cat...tml?sort=3&o=4
    nit the greatest photo but just wanted to give an idea of the hunker size.[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by oif0709; 02-06-2015 at 04:43 PM.

For the Love of Cats

Oif, in Photobucket, click on the [IMG] code, and paste that in here, and your pictures will display here.
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

I call big spoon.
    Thanks you helped me figure it out. ^^^[IMG][/IMG]

For the Love of Cats

No problem, and if you just want to insert a picture from the net, click on the fourth button from the left at the top of the dialogue box where you type your reply [insert Image] a popup window will appear and you can paste the website URL in there. Incidentally, the third button will do the same for video.
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

I'll most likely shit myself

That's a nice tent. Mountian Hardware makes some killer gear. 4lbs ain't much for a 4 season tent. I have a Kelty Windfoil that goes much closer to 8lbs. Great tent and it's a two person model, but damn it's heavy. I have been looking at some of the Big Agnus models to cut weight. They are nice tents but not 4 season. At least not the ones I have found so far.

plenty of extra room "down his pants"
    Ive found a great fondness for a Gortex bivy bag. Light and works like a champ. No setting up is nice, and very low profile translates into very low signature. Though I do like napping in a hammock...

EB
    "Takes .357 to the field... every time..."
    "AR - America's Rifle"
    "Bushido, an honourable way of life"

I call big spoon.
    I think that's what we're issued in our 3 piece sleep systems. I've woken up dry in a puddle of water on my cot and have been dry.

plenty of extra room "down his pants"
    Yes sir, you are correct... the bivy bag is the Gortex outtermost skin of the multipart sleep system. Mine are woodland camo because ACU sux ass (Unless your in Afghanistan, then its pretty sweet).

EB
    "Takes .357 to the field... every time..."
    "AR - America's Rifle"
    "Bushido, an honourable way of life"