Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EDC Medkits

EDC Medkits

Curious who all is carrying a EDC Medkit. Specifically a IFAK focused on trauma - Tourniquet, Combat Gauze, Emergency Bandage, Gloves, Chest Seals, Nose Tube, Chest Needle, etc.

I'm looking for the following information as well as how you carry it.
    On body? (What and how)
    Off body? (What and how)
    In vehicle only? (What and how)

A: Tourniquet
    B: Combat Gauze
    C: Emergency Bandage
    D: TQ + CG
    E: Some variation.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll post an example:

On body all the time: Tourniquet. Either on a duty belt/war belt in a First Spear 6/9 TQ pouch or in a pocket. CAT or SOFT-W Gen 2.

On body some of the time (80% or so) a Pocket DARK from Dark Angel Medical or pocket "Low profile deployment kit" from Phokus Research Group.

When the TQ is the only item on body, I have one of the above kits in my EDC backpack which will be close by.

Off body I have a Full IFAK in my vehicle at all times.

Yes, its short. No, its not his attention span.
    I roll around in an ambulance most days. Thats all I got.

Damn the propane, save the bacon!

I carry a hit kit (#1) and a small med kit (#2) in my GHB at all times. I don't carry a kit on my person if at work or home.

My kits include..

#1, CAT, Isreali bandage, Quikclot gauze and gauze wrap.
    #2, minor meds, bandaids, ointments, gauze, ace bandage, etc..

This is day to day, shtf and my kit obviously grows.
    Be ready now, you won't have that chance later.

Crotch Rocket

Left cargo pocket, in a one quart, ziploc bag:
    CAT; Izzy dressing; Quikclot gauze; shears; 100 mph tape; 2 ea. 4"x4" dressings; super glue, and PPE mask/ gloves

The rest of the USGI IFAK that came from is stuffed into an HSGI bleeder pouch on a vest.

My wallet carries a few bandaids, single use triple antibiotic ointment, an antiseptic wipe, and one to one days worth of motrin, an antihistamine and an AD med.

Lastly, I don't know if it qualifies as "med", but I'm thinking one of those breath of life hoods for emergencies at school. Reviews seem to indicate it will block some smoke and riot control agents.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

Administrator

IFaks for major trauma get left in the cars. If going to the range or hiking then they get thrown into my pack. Otherwise I have a small kit for simple scrapes and cuts that I have in my edc pack at all times.
    I don’t have “hobbies” I’m developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set.

I would highly encourage all people to carry a TQ every day, all the time. Especially in the light of the Boston Bomings almost a year ago and the anniversary coming up.

Wide open borders and the reality we have a weak country in the eyes of the enemy (Russia and AQ affiliates), equal a higher risk of attack.

I've got TQ's stashed all over, as well as more trauma kits than I know what to do with some days. Worth being prepared.

Then get some training. If you can't afford it, at least watch the youtube videos shown by the manufacturers and save your $ for a TCCC type class.

Yes, its short. No, its not his attention span.
    In seriousness, I dont carry a kit with me everywhere I go. I can improvise a tourniquet out of strange things. My belt specifically can be used.

As far as at home, I can do anything from staple a wound closed to decompress and pneumo.

Dont worry about shitting yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by ditchmedic View Post
    I roll around in an ambulance most days. Thats all I got.

Is that kind of like "why do I carry an ambulance? Because a hospital is too heavy".

I'm thinking after reading this thread I don't carry enough. Got afew things in the GHB that goes with me everyday, and into work when I get there.
    My IFAK is with the rollin' gear.
    We have a gun crew kit at the house. There's other supplies as well.
    Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers.
    Liberty is a Man-Of-War, and we are all crew.

This is an area that I sorely lack in. I don't think I've used bandages since I was 7. I've had my fingers cut to the bone, nails in my foot, stabbed, hit by a car, electrocuted, teeth put thru my lip, bottom eyelid split in two, golf clubs and bats to the head. You name it and there is a good chance it's happened to me. I've never used a disenfectant, an antibiotic or a steroid.

Hot needles, hot knives, hot glue and healing plants that forage have helped me until now.... But I know the importance of medkits, and I do have some on hand for my family... They don't have the pain tolerance that I have.

With that being said I still have to put one together for myself and not be so reckless and stupid

Crotch Rocket

You know, for all of the talk of how violent the US is... You and T both sure do seem to have more violent encounters EACH than the rest of us do collectively!

But then I suppose its a small matter for a nation that can hide its true name in plain sight to keep stories of violence from spreading
    Last edited by mitunnelrat; 03-18-2014 at 08:47 PM. Reason: smart phone stupidity
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!