PDA

View Full Version : Job possibility for me

TEOTWAWKI13
03-18-2011, 07:52 PM
Ok, sorry for the long thread title, it is a financial issue. I left a job 2 Jun 2010 that I had been at for 6 years and was worked up to a promotion into managment and thought my immediate future and money was set, nearly in stone. The reason I left, the economy started taking a toll on car business, and we went from a 100-120 car a month store, to a 75-80 car a month store, and as a result I got the end around treatment (polite way of saying I got ####). I was promised a job promotion for over a year, and they gave the job to a kid who had only been in the car business 2 yrs, paying him almost half of what my level of experience would command, etc.

I got my last paycheck and left. I have literally bounced around since then, not being able to find a comparable job, since the market has been flooded with upper level managers competing for the same lower level jobs I am competing for, with all the dealerships closing recently, and I have made NO money to speak of, bills have been paid, but late, life hasn't been thrilling to say the least. We all know that if money is tight, problems arise at home because of it.

Well, I sent my resume to a job opening in Chattanooga this week, the guy said he couldn't use me since I didn't live in Chattanooga and he thought the 1 hour commute from my house daily wouldn't work, but he sent my resume to their location in Marietta, GA. Not a sales manager postition, but a sales position. I spoke with the manager there, and I have an interview there Tuesday next week. Actually half an hour closer to my house in drive time.

The company sells new and used vehicles equipped with handicapped assisting equipment, as well as just the equipment to put into an existing vehicle. Kind of a cool thing to be helping people. The job is Monday thru Friday 9-5, I will (potentially) be 1 of 4 sales people, the top two guys have been there 14+ yrs, the third lady a little over a year was hired because someone retired. The top guy makes $120k+ a year in commission. I'd honestly be happy with half that, but I'm a good enough salesman that I could scare $100k over time. Turnover is non existent in other words, and I could be there for a loooong time to come, making good money, helping folks, having more family and free time.

Benefits, health insurance for me and the wife again, vacation time, etc. In other words, a dream job of sorts for a car salesman. I haven't had Saturdays off, with rare exception, in 9+ years. Having two kids, a wife, and a yard to keep up, that alone is worth it's weight in gold.

So, I'm praying like a man who hasn't prayed enough recently that this interview goes well. The guy seemed to talk like the job was all but mine, but it's not mine yet, and I really want this job badly.

So any prayers thrown up for me would be greatly appreciated. If you don't pray, cross your fingers or whatever it is that you do. :)

John

RedJohn
03-18-2011, 08:01 PM
I'll think of you when you're there. I am sure that you'll get the job!

TEOTWAWKI13
03-18-2011, 08:28 PM
Thanks bud, means a lot, and thanks for the thread move and title shortening. I got a bit carried away. :)

I hope it's mine. I could use the money. Got more preps to buy. :)

RedJohn
03-18-2011, 09:36 PM
Thanks bud, means a lot, and thanks for the thread move and title shortening. I got a bit carried away. :)

I hope it's mine. I could use the money. Got more preps to buy. :)

I just got fired because I was requesting everybody to stop smoking at work. I know what you're going through.

Twitchy
03-18-2011, 11:39 PM
I just got fired because I was requesting everybody to stop smoking at work. I know what you're going through.

WOW... I hope you told the boss to stuff his decision where the sun doesn't shine!

RedJohn
03-19-2011, 12:10 AM
WOW... I hope you told the boss to stuff his decision where the sun doesn't shine!

Unfortunately, he is the boss. He fired me for wrong motives. I am suing the crap out of him.

gunbuilder69
03-19-2011, 12:14 AM
But you were so nice to me when I smoke,lol

RedJohn
03-19-2011, 12:53 AM
But you were so nice to me when I smoke,lol

That was what 10 minutes in forever? At work, it was 10 hours per day, everyday. Working in a constant cigarette smoke cloud.

bacpacker
03-19-2011, 01:45 AM
Prayers sent TET, best of luck.
RJ, sorry to hear about the crap they are putting you thru. I pray that end's well.

beginner
03-19-2011, 02:19 AM
Believe me, TEOTWAWKI I know how you feel. I was at a dealership for 7 years, worked my way into management then told one day they found someone that was willing to do the job cheaper! And, BAM! Done... And, they are the ones who set my pay plan.... sheesh

I myself bounced around the past year, struggled to keep my house, pay bills etc.... I just started at a new dealership about two weeks ago. So far so good.

I hope it turns out well for you to. It's a TOUGH market out there right now!

The Stig
03-19-2011, 02:30 AM
Good luck and I hope it works out for you man. I can't imagine the stress you must be feeling. Keep us posted.

TEOTWAWKI13
03-21-2011, 11:29 PM
Believe me, TEOTWAWKI I know how you feel. I was at a dealership for 7 years, worked my way into management then told one day they found someone that was willing to do the job cheaper! And, BAM! Done... And, they are the ones who set my pay plan.... sheesh

I myself bounced around the past year, struggled to keep my house, pay bills etc.... I just started at a new dealership about two weeks ago. So far so good.

I hope it turns out well for you to. It's a TOUGH market out there right now!

Yeah, you know the deal. This whole thing started in March 2008, I maxed the pay plan out that month. Sold 25 cars, payplan paid commissions and bonuses up to 24 cars. I had a few big deals that month, and I grossed $12k that month. The next month, this kid was working with me in the Internet department. So basically, he was fast tracked to keep me from making the money I was making. Now he's the Asst U/C manager, making maybe $50-60k, they have 3 guys doing the internet, so one guy can't make too much money, etc. It's a racket that sales drives your whole business but the one group of staff you f with the most is your sales staff's pay. It's a joke. I'm hoping this place is different as it's a niche market and there's really not any competition. I'm praying myself.

I learned the hard way an owner/dealer group is bottom line driven, and it doesn't matter what it takes to get the bottom line where they want it. And the quickest way to increase the bottom line is to eliminate payroll, which includes bonuses.

Stig, you think I'm stressed, you should talk to my wife. :)

TEOTWAWKI13
03-22-2011, 04:51 PM
Well, the stress continues....

Interview went well, but this place apparently puts you through the ringer with 4 interviews, psych/personality tests, etc. It's a 6-8 week process. Ugh! I need a job with a real paycheck yesterday. I got bills to pay!

So there's another possibility for me. A guy from Hilton Head, SC had contacted me last week about being a dealer account rep for his new wholesale website startup. Apparently he's sunk $1M of his own money into it so far, so I know he wants to succeed. I meet with him this week. He's discussed pay a bit, and that would need to come up a hair, but perhaps this is the opportunity meant for me. I don't know. I'm getting frustrated as all get out. These folks talk to you on the phone and in person like the job's yours, then wham! There's another hurdle in life.

RedJohn
03-22-2011, 06:38 PM
Yeah, the job market is hard. Have given any thought about working for yourself?

TEOTWAWKI13
03-22-2011, 07:16 PM
Yeah, the job market is hard. Have given any thought about working for yourself?

Tons of thought to it. Don't have any $ for start up, nor do I really know much of a trade other than the car business/sales. I do have a non profit venture I want to get going, but it will have to wait til bills are caught up and there's a little room to breath financially.

If this other opportunity pans out, it could be just as good as the job I interviewed for today in the long run. It's a start up web site, but the guys willing to pay me good money to get it going for him in the Atlanta market. I guess we'll have to see. God has a door open for me, I just need to find out where it is.

beginner
03-22-2011, 07:22 PM
Well, the stress continues....

Interview went well, but this place apparently puts you through the ringer with 4 interviews, psych/personality tests, etc. It's a 6-8 week process. Ugh! I need a job with a real paycheck yesterday. I got bills to pay!

So there's another possibility for me. A guy from Hilton Head, SC had contacted me last week about being a dealer account rep for his new wholesale website startup. Apparently he's sunk $1M of his own money into it so far, so I know he wants to succeed. I meet with him this week. He's discussed pay a bit, and that would need to come up a hair, but perhaps this is the opportunity meant for me. I don't know. I'm getting frustrated as all get out. These folks talk to you on the phone and in person like the job's yours, then wham! There's another hurdle in life.

Holy Jeebus! That's quite the interview process. I'm guessing the company hired a "head hunter" to conduct their interviews for them. I can't stand those guys......

Hopefully the web thing pays out. What is the website for?

The Stig
03-22-2011, 07:38 PM
Maybe the extensive interview process means they will be a more stable, serious employer in the long run. I know it's a major pain in the hiney, especially when you are wanting that "welcome aboard!" but in the end it could be a good thing. Maybe there's a reason they are successful despite being a niche deal.

And having this potential web thing in your back pocket certainly can't hurt.

Good look brother. You'll get there.

bacpacker
03-22-2011, 08:49 PM
Good Luck Tet. I know it's frustrating, just keep after it. It took me 6 months from the time I started the resumdeal till I actually went to work. Pain in the ass, but Like Stig said, those type companies tend to be prety good ones to work for and usually not a lot of major BS to deal with. A lot of that gets culled in the interveiw process.

TEOTWAWKI13
03-22-2011, 09:12 PM
Holy Jeebus! That's quite the interview process. I'm guessing the company hired a "head hunter" to conduct their interviews for them. I can't stand those guys......

Hopefully the web thing pays out. What is the website for?

No, wasn't a head hunter. Just answered a Craigslist ad.

The website is similar to OVE.com if you're familiar with it. I'll basically go to used car dealers, show them the site, photograph their high line cars and post them to the site. We'll have telemarketing set up to make sales calls to dealers to sign them up as well. The goal is to be the place to post, buy and sell the high line market in 22 major markets in the US. Buyers and sellers pay a $300 fee, which is in line with auction fees. It's a great opportunity, even if temporary, and I can meet a bunch of new dealership personell this way too.

Who knows what will happen.

TEOTWAWKI13
03-22-2011, 09:14 PM
Good Luck Tet. I know it's frustrating, just keep after it. It took me 6 months from the time I started the resumdeal till I actually went to work. Pain in the ass, but Like Stig said, those type companies tend to be prety good ones to work for and usually not a lot of major BS to deal with. A lot of that gets culled in the interveiw process.

No, I get the process. Stig is right on, this company has 14-20 yr tenured employees. No turnover. So yeah, it's a pain but could work out better in the long run. But I was so ready for the "when can you start". The bills keep arriving in the mail each week.

But once again, who knows if this auto website thing might not be the best option for me.

TEOTWAWKI13
03-24-2011, 05:13 PM
UPDATE: What a difference a day makes?! I called the internet job guy, and he says "oh, I've been meaning to call you. I hired a girl to do it." Which makes twice I've lost a job because I didn't have tits, but oh well.

I went to Dalton, Ga to interview for a dealership up there. It's about an hour north of our house, and I wasn't 100% sure what would happen, but I went. I get there and the guy I was to interview with wasn't even there, he was off today. So I'm pissed. I head home and the phone rings, it's the guy from the dealership apologizing for the mix up, he messed up his days and was completely apologetic, and said the job is mine if I want it, without even interviewing. So that's a positive. I told him to let me think it over and I'd get back to him. Since it was a good deal away, the drive would cost me some gas money each week.

When I get home, my wife asks how I'd like to live in Chattanooga in her grandmother's old house rent free. Her g-mother is in a home, and the house goes to her dad once she dies (alzheimers), and we can basically stay there as long as we'd like, just paying utilities. Now if I can just get rid of this truck payment I'm stuck in. :)

So it looks like I may be moving to Tennessee, the patron state of shooting stuff. Will keep you posted!

beginner
03-24-2011, 06:40 PM
Good deal man! :cool: Hope the move works out well for ya! So, would that put you closer or further from the dealership?

Have you tried advertising the truck yet?

RedJohn
03-24-2011, 07:11 PM
Brighter future in you life, it seems. WTG!

bacpacker
03-25-2011, 01:07 AM
You know you'll have to become a VOL fan. No more bulldogs :)
Seriously, hope thing work out for you. Decisions, decisions. Prayin for you all.

izzyscout21
03-25-2011, 02:54 AM
Sweet! Another local. Hope to see you Here in E. Tenn. You'll like it. And the company is pretty good.....

TEOTWAWKI13
03-25-2011, 03:52 PM
It will put me about 15-20 minutes from the dealership in Dalton, vs the hour I would have to drive from Cartersville.

I WILL NEVER BE A VOL FAN! My wife has already brainwashed my youngest daughter. Thank God I still have influence of my oldest girl. :) On the flip side, the inlaws are season ticket holders in Vol country, so the October UGA/UT game is always fun. And our anniversary is always right around there.

And izzy, I've already thought about that. Between me, you, bacpacker, pitbullinga/tn, explo, there's the makings of a good group in E Tennessee. :)

Basically, the job is mine. I call the guy today and let him know when I want to start. Looking at moving in late April, early May. There's a guy living there now, some distant cousin or something. They gave him 3 weeks notice to move, which he knew would be coming sooner or later, so he's cool w/ it.

izzyscout21
03-25-2011, 04:00 PM
I WILL NEVER BE A VOL FAN!

Guess you're always going to walking point in the MAG......LOL

TEOTWAWKI13
03-25-2011, 06:12 PM
Haha! I always follow my blockers.

But I suppose if my old man could do it, I could too. :confused: