PDA

View Full Version : Evaluation: Car Accident

Twitchy
12-04-2011, 03:31 AM
Okay, so today has been more eventful than i ever want a day to be... Me and a few friends were on the highway and were about to come over an overpass. When we got over it, little did we know that there had been an MCI on the highway, multi-vehicle rollover... We were going about 60 - 65 mph and 40 feet to stop before we nailed someone else... we pulled into the hazard lane, and thought, "great! we didn't hit any.... *BOOM*" We got hit HARD.. about 40 mph by our other friend who crested the hill and had nowhere to go. We slid about 10 feet and stopped. I immediately got out of the car after realizing i wasn't injured, or at least severely and ran to check on the other involved vehicle, which was in awful shape. I arrived and forced the door open to make sure the other kid was OK, he was. thank god. After all of this, I think I did a pretty good job at responding in a stressful situation. I didn't break down, I was able ot clearly function and get what needed to be done, done. I moved everyone away from the vehicle while a bystander called 911.

I think I did well, however in hindsight, a fire extinguisher would be a good addition to a vehicle... And not in the trunk mind you :)

Critique me, any questions, just ask them!

helomech
12-04-2011, 01:29 PM
Sounds like you did well.

Foghorn
12-04-2011, 02:28 PM
Secure that fire extinguisher down if you are going to put it in the passenger area of the car. Flying heavy objects can be dangerous in an accident.

Good Job!

JMO
Doug

Twitchy
12-04-2011, 07:08 PM
Secure that fire extinguisher down if you are going to put it in the passenger area of the car. Flying heavy objects can be dangerous in an accident.

Good Job!

JMO
Doug

yeah that is what I was thinking... especially since there were loose objects in the back passenger area...

JustAPrepper
12-04-2011, 09:41 PM
WOW!! I'm glad you and the others are OK!! Sounds like you handled things well.

bacpacker
12-04-2011, 11:38 PM
IMO you did good.

Glad everyone was OK.

Gunfixr
12-05-2011, 05:52 AM
Well, I been in 9 car accidents, so I guess I can critique.

Not bad. At least no one got seriously hurt (everyone gets hurt some), and you kept your wits.

Twitchy
12-06-2011, 02:51 AM
thank gunfixr...

In hindsight, if that airbag sensor failed, and it had deployed i probably would be either in a coma or dead with how hard and fast i slammed forward... the damn seatbelt tensioner failed and it would have snapped my neck...

TEOTWAWKI13
12-06-2011, 07:26 PM
Defensive driving tips, alwasy slow a bit cresting a hill...wouldn't have mattered if the second car had, but since you managed to make it to the shoulder, you should have kept going a little farther in anticipation of someone cresting said hill...seems a bit like super paranoia, but that's how the classes are taught.

Other than that, kudos. You done good.

Gunfixr
12-12-2011, 10:02 PM
In one of mine wrecks, a deer jumped out right in front of the car, from the left, as a car passed coming the other way, on a two lane road at night. So the oncoming lights had me partially blinded, and the deer just appeared in front of me to be hit instantaneously. I was doing about 50 or so.
I was driving a mid to late 90s Thunderbird.
Both airbags deployed.
I've hit deer before, not a big deal. I seriously thought the airbags were going to kill me there before I was able to get out of the car. They blew the windshield. Both arms hurt for days, my ears rang (more than they always do), and I almost choked to death on the noxious gas they use to deploy them. It was like smoke filled the car. I coughed hard and steady for almost a full 20 minutes after I got out of the car.
As far as I'm concerned, I'll take my chances without airbags.