PDA

View Full Version : Odd shelters.

Dropy
12-04-2011, 08:52 PM
Been thinking....

What if WORL and SHTF and you got a lot more folks around you, counting on you for guidance, safety and such. Your gonna need to house them and help to defend themselves, feed themselves and hopefully get em some medical.

So i been thinking of what sort of facility can offer all of these. The following locales are some spots i have considered so far.

Schools are large, lot of rooms, they have a kitchen, many classrooms to turn into various needed rooms such as storage, shelter/bed chambers. There is usually a speaker system in them and some have backup generator power. Problem here is defensivly they are a nightmare. Too many entry points and windows. And they lack any sort of medical area.

Hospitals have great possiobilities. Except for the fact that they are usually in the middle of town. This itself is a MAJOR headache. Most hospitals wil be SWAMPED and looted i believe. Yes they have rooms, kitchens and medical. Many also have genrators in the basement. Again they are a tactical nightmare defesively.

The third place i been thinking on is a prison. Lets Assume that first the prison population has been somehow made to go away. Maybe they were released or whatever. But said prison is abandoned. TO em this is probably the best place for this scenario, so far. The prison is designed to keep people in, but some modest work the same walls/fences can be also used to keep others out. Most prisons also have large fenced in yards that can be used as secure gardens. They have extensive CCTV systems. Limited entry points. TOwers to help keep watch from. The cells can be modified to be larger and homier to hold more people. They also have a solid kitchen and fair medical center. So far i am thinking this would be a solid choice all things considered.

All this is considering you are not rich and have 100 acres with 25 cabins built on it already.

realist
12-05-2011, 01:54 AM
Newer schools in our area are built out of block and concrete and are just as stout as a prison only no fencing. Another good place is to consider is a church. Some of our larger churches are built very well. They are also set up to feed large groups.

Sniper-T
12-05-2011, 02:25 AM
Prisons are dire, desolate places to be in. It would take a crapload of paint to keep people sane in them.

your points are very well made though... and yes a prison would be a awesome BOL. assuming that the previous occupants have vacated, and not seen the state of affairs, and decided to use it themselves.

JustAPrepper
12-05-2011, 09:15 PM
Find out which businesses in your area have cafeterias. We have several banking and manufacturing facilites that have them. Decent sized buildings, very few windows or doors.

What about a neighborhood (not on the main strip) Mom and Pop restaurant that doesn't have too many windows? Tables, chairs, ability to cook and bathrooms that work as long as the infrastructure is still working.

Sniper-T
12-06-2011, 11:27 AM
There is a large RV dealer out on the highway on the edge of town. If there are still roads open, and pull vehicles available... it might be beneficial to snag a couple of them. extra people can have they're own suite. easy enough to rig up the toilets, but they'd have to do without electricity Many of the newer ones come with wood burning fireplaces too!

bacpacker
12-06-2011, 02:55 PM
Depending on the secnario, our 5th wheel is our bol at whatever location we need to go.

Another thing about the RV dealerships, everyone I've been to has a large LP tank. Plus supplies, spares, batteries, etc. They could potentially be a very valuable target.

Daca102090
12-06-2011, 07:51 PM
Another place to consider are stand alone movie theaters. Limited windows, limited ingress and egress and the newer ones have at least limited food preparation facilities. Probably wouldn't work long term but for a short duration should work for temporary purposes.
Also some locations still have drive in movie theaters. Mosr isolated, clear area around the main building, and limited food prep facilities with the ability to completely close up the concession facility.

Conscious
12-06-2011, 10:49 PM
I would think that a major issue with schools/hospitals etc, is that they are in fact go-to shelter locations for the masses. they are going to be inundated quickly.

And I don't know what kind of manpower you're planning on having, being able to support a complex that size would be difficult.
'
I like where this thread heads though, especially the "buildings with their own cafeteria's". I'd also consider industrial complexes, warehouse complexes, etc. many are out of the way of most folks (out of sight, out of mind). some might come with useful equipment (they definitely will if you do your planning ahead of time), and generally offer relatively defensible perimeters (limited building entry, many have fence-lines a hundred yards out, and many are tall enough to offer a good lookout).

Just some thoughts.

Dropy
12-07-2011, 12:26 AM
Several good ideas here.

Let me put this scenario to you then.

You got 125 ish adults. 200 ish children. Where to put em all?

I still vote for the prison. Once it has had some work done to it i think it would be the best suited. Cafeteria, medical area, plenty of cells than can easily be made larger with some tools. And they are probably the safest option out there... Assuming they have been cleared first. And many prisons have a backup power system to them.

Sniper-T
12-07-2011, 11:58 AM
200 children??? I'd vote for prison too. I'd lock em in and go home.

:cool:

Sniper-T
12-08-2011, 01:50 PM
Since we're thinking outside the box... this place came to mind:

Parks Canada - Lower Fort Garry National Historic Site - Maps - non-Flash (HTML) version (http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/lhn-nhs/mb/fortgarry/map.aspx)

It is an hour from my home. I actually grew up a stones throw away from it.

It's defendable
it is still functioning today as if it were the 1800's (Period re-enactors, using period equipment)
it has a protected garden with the walls
multiple buildings
close to wood
close to water
blacksmith shop on site
all hand tools and equipment from the 19 century, still in use and maintained.

All said and done... I think it would be an awesome spot!

realist
12-08-2011, 07:11 PM
Sniper that is not a bad thought. When you think about in some of the parks out there are old forts that are just asking to be brought back to their hay day. It would be a great place to set up considering its history.

bacpacker
12-09-2011, 12:17 AM
Good idea sniper, awesome looking location. Looks like somewhere I would enjoy visiting sometime.

We have an old fort that was recreated not far from here.

TN State Parks: Fort Loudoun State Park (http://www.tn.gov/environment/parks/FortLoudoun/)

There are also several places in the National park that could be a decent set up. However none of them have anywhere near the set up that place you linked does. Some of these have a small blacksmith area, maybe small garden spots, and some buildings that could be used for barns, houses, corn cribs, etc.
Something to consider for sure.

LUNCHBOX
03-13-2012, 08:07 AM
Prisons are dire, desolate places to be in. It would take a crapload of paint to keep people sane in them.

your points are very well made though... and yes a prison would be a awesome BOL. assuming that the previous occupants have vacated, and not seen the state of affairs, and decided to use it themselves.

Sniper, my problem with them (since I see one 5 days a week) is they get congested in a fire fight (I've been in training in this enviorment also) My concern would be you could loose alot of people in a short period of time.

I do like the idea of the frontier set-up, we have some locations similar in our area that would be promising.