PDA

View Full Version : Coastal Bug Out

jwgriffin
12-05-2011, 11:30 AM
Hey everyone. I'm new to the forums and have found tons of great info on here. Although I have never really considered myself a prepper, I have found that I have come up with a lot of the ideas on the site independently and I feel better knowing that "most" were right.....but many needed a lot of tweaking.

After reading through several posts on what many of your bug out plans are I have one unique to my location that I could use some feedback on. First some background on my location. I live in Savannah, GA. We have two major military bases within 40 miles including Hunter Army Airfield which is located in town and Ft Stewart (3rd Infantry Div). Luckily if SHTF then we have a pretty good chance to maintain order. Unfortunately I live in an city where order would break down quickly due to the large number of "impoverished" residents.

There are really only a handful of ways to exit Savannah if SHTF due to an abundance of marshland and Hunter Army Airfield. Here on the coast we have several barrier islands that lay uninhabited with great cover. Instead of moving with the herd which could lead to several sticky situations, I plan on loading up the boat and moving out to one of these islands.

Here you have all the means for self-sustainment. I plan on carrying all the provisions I would need but if I need to stay longer I have the ability to catch my own food. The island offers great protection and I need to move back into town for more supplies or to scavenge I have that ability as well.

Since I have not seen this idea mentioned on the site, I thought I would write and pick your collective brains. Thanks!

RedJohn
12-05-2011, 12:06 PM
As long as the SHTF is not multiple earthquakes followed by tsunamis, you should be OK there with the thousands of people that will go there (the Robinson Crusoe syndrome). What about the mountains that are close to you too?

Personally, I'd rather hunt in the mountains next to a river, than trying to fish on sea border with little no salted around. What do you think?

RedJohn
12-05-2011, 12:06 PM
BTW, welcome to the forum.

jwgriffin
12-05-2011, 12:21 PM
As long as the SHTF is not multiple earthquakes followed by tsunamis, you should be OK there with the thousands of people that will go there (the Robinson Crusoe syndrome). What about the mountains that are close to you too?

Personally, I'd rather hunt in the mountains next to a river, than trying to fish on sea border with little no salted around. What do you think?

I'm talking the breakdown of order, not natural disaster, type of SHTF scenario. We wouldn't have to worry about mountains around here. The closest that something could be called anything close to a mountain is over 350 miles away.

As far as everyone moving out to the islands, it is possible. There are hundreds of these small islands up and down the coast from Savannah. I would expect to run into ppl on these islands but much fewer than moving with the "herd" out of town.

RedJohn
12-05-2011, 12:32 PM
I would just worry about feeding and even more drinking on such places.

GunnerMax
12-05-2011, 12:39 PM
I live in a coastal region, but am still wondering if I will be called to duty if SHTF, which would leave survival up to my wife :/

Sniper-T
12-05-2011, 04:12 PM
how big are these islands?
How many people will they sustain?
Where will you be able to get freesh water from?
Do they contain any game?
what is the soil like, and will anything other than mangroves grow there?
What is there for building materials for shelter?
Are they close enough to get back to mainland paddling?
Can you paddle your boat if you were out of fuel?
Are there still fish in that area, and are they edible? Plentiful?

Basically, your BOL has to answer the three basic needs... water, food, and shelter (not nec. in that order). How long do you expect to be there... and will it sustain you, your family, and everyone else who shows up for that long?

Way to think outside the obvious, and welcome to the site

ravensgrove
12-06-2011, 12:14 AM
fresh water would be my concern on small islands, but my secondary scenario if I absolutely had to leave the farm is also hitting the ocean via the bay 5 miles from us.

Stormfeather
12-11-2011, 10:41 AM
fresh water would be my concern on small islands, but my secondary scenario if I absolutely had to leave the farm is also hitting the ocean via the bay 5 miles from us.

Actually, hitting the ocean is my 3rd resort. I have the stay in place option, the bug out option, and the hit the ocean option!

LUNCHBOX
12-18-2011, 03:44 AM
IMO.....The water plan would be out for me even if I had the option. I just don't think it would be defendable on a boat or even a small island. Natural or manmade, that would be a tough one for me.

shtfsurvivalist
12-18-2011, 05:26 PM
I have been through several hurricanes and recently decided to move off the coast. I don't want to live on a fresh or salt water source. Even if there were no tsunamis what if a hurricane was coming with no emergency weather system you would never know it. I personally have decided that the mountains are best for me.

Ken