PDA

View Full Version : Locations?

ravensgrove
12-06-2011, 07:59 PM
Is there a section on this for general areas people are in? I'd find that interesting. For instance, right now I am in WA near the coast and my husband is in NY, near the Canadian border as we have previously discussed.

Where's everyone else located. Look we're not talking OPSEC here...just general vicinity type so we can discuss different climates, etc and relocation strategies need be et all.

helomech
12-06-2011, 08:11 PM
East Texas here, cold today.

eagle326
12-06-2011, 08:16 PM
N.E. Ohio
In the area of Football H.O.F. ;)

Sparrow
12-06-2011, 08:47 PM
New Brunswick Canada - @ one of the highest elevations of the Appalachians in this province. Surrounded by farms ... low, low population ... and low gun population.

Yeah, guns are people too.

But yeah ... my preps are going into hyper drive. Where is my list making material????

Grumpy Old Man
12-06-2011, 08:52 PM
Peoples Republick of Kommiefornicastan, in the rebellious Inland Empire. But frequently I assume my role as Sheik of the Mojave when I need target practice.

mitunnelrat
12-06-2011, 09:24 PM
Eastern MI here, lower peninsula. Lake Huron is within l.o.s on the horizon from the nearest E/W road intersection. We get heavier snow fall than much of the interior due to what's called lake effect. Our coldest days in winter can reach -20. I'm currently in a farm community roughly 75 miles from the largest urban areas of the state, and near the outer limits of my comfort zone to a major hospital at approx. 30 miles.

Its otherwise everything I'm looking for, with close proximity to good hunting, fishing, and thus ample water sources. It also still has a sense of community among its residents, and a low violent crime rate.

JustAPrepper
12-06-2011, 09:31 PM
Central Florida, a stone's throw away from the Intracoastal Waterway and about five miles as the crow flies from the Atlantic Ocean.

Sniper-T
12-06-2011, 10:21 PM
Central Canada, couple hours North of the US. livin' in the sticks with the rednecks... actually, I make the local rednecks look good! lol

Much to my chagrin, it's warming up again. -8C right now! :(

Stg1swret
12-06-2011, 10:40 PM
!0 miles from downtown Philadelphia, if I stand on my front porch , I can see center city.

bacpacker
12-06-2011, 10:57 PM
East Tennessee here about 15 miles as the crow flies from the Great Smoky Mountians NP.

We typically have between 45-60" of precipitation per year. In the low lands we haven't seen much snow for several years, but up in the mountians (6000'+) they measure snow in feet. The high mountians are actually considered to be the equivalent to forest in Canada.

This is a good thread, IMO. I like seeing some stuff about everyone's location. I enjoy traveling, so this is a good learning tool for me.

JustAPrepper
12-07-2011, 01:16 AM
I didn't give any info on our climate...

SEA LEVEL - where I can breathe comforably!! (For those of you that remember my Salt Lake experience, lol!)

Jan-Feb - our "winter". We get freezes and believe it or not, the occassional snow flurry if there's enough precipitation in the air.

Feb-Mar - our "wicked weather" - tornadoes abound as warm winds start pushing in from the south and collide with cold fronts from the north. This time is incredibly volatile and I fear it more than Hurricane Season.

July-Sep - hotter than a nuclear meltdown. 100+ degrees with 80+% humidity levels. In addition to being prime-time Hurricane Season it's also our Every Day rainy season. Monsoon rains that come on quick when the east coast and west coast seabreezes collide. Usually don't last for more than an hour but can dump several inches and often result in localized flooding.

Oct-Mar - Typically No A/C months but it varies. There have been years where I've run the A/C on Christmas Day and that's just wrong. But for the most part, it's windows open with the occassional heat during our deep winter months (insert laugh here for all you northern folks :D)

We are also in what used to be proudly hailed as the Space Coast. We can see all rocket launches from our backyard and can hear and feel the "thunder" of every launch. On the rare occassion when the Shuttle would land here we could hear and feel the Sonic Boom...a double clap of thunder so hard it would shake all the windows and doors in the house. It would also scare our dogs so bad they almost jumped out of their skin and would run around fretting things for hours.

realist
12-07-2011, 02:04 AM
Northern California in the wine country. We are about 200 feet above sea level. The climate is great, we do not need air conditioning during the summer. The temperature today was cold this morning about 31 degrees (Sniper that is above zero) but it warmed up to around 70, not bad for the middle of winter. We have no humidity with the exception for fog.

I can at the coast in 30 minutes, in the big city in about an hour and a half, to skiing in 4 hours and to my cabin in 2 hours. I do not like the politics and would like to be in a state that has lower taxes and better gun laws. However the place is just about paid for and my kids are close so I am staying.

Sniper-T
12-07-2011, 03:28 AM
With my prolonged hunting season (we normally tag out 5-6 weeks ago), I'm scrambling to get ready for winter... in less than a month, the temps WILL drop to -40F, and hover around there for the next 3 months.

For anyone thinking of heading North in case of SHTF... SERIOUSLY consider this! I go out tarp camping in this weather. I go out skiing or snowshoeing in this weather. I go out quading with my dog in this weather. I just go out and build a quinzee or an igloo for fun in this weather. If you plan on bugging out North if SHTF, do you think you can survive/thrive in this weather? This is your wake up call... especially for you mid-southern folk.... Winter up north is harsh... winter up North kills. know before you go!

right now it is -8C outside... but there is a 45 mph wind blowing from the North.... This means the ambient temp outside is an equiv of about -23C. when it gets cold... -40 with that same wind.... that'll put it well below -60C.

realist
12-07-2011, 03:37 AM
Sniper if you are trying to scare people off it worked I'm not heading north........ The one good thing that you have is good hunting. That is the one thing that I have to travel for. The nice thing about your area too is no fleas or ticks when you hunt.

ladyhk13
12-07-2011, 06:17 AM
We are pretty close to bp. More south east of him in Tn but not far so we are very central. Temps are normally never drastic in either direction but we have had a very wet Fall and looks like snow tomorrow. Was raised in central Florida and lived all over the state, lived in upstate new York and have family there, have family in east Texas, and DH family lives in Nevada and also has an off grid cabin in california. I think we are well rounded! I do have to say that Tn has clay for soil, Florida has sand and new York has the most beautiful black dirt that you just want to dig your fingers in and then inhale...there's not another smell like it

RedJohn
12-07-2011, 01:30 PM
Paris, France (actually 3 miles north) and hating every minute of the time I am spending here. Coming to a close though.

Sparrow
12-07-2011, 02:10 PM
With my prolonged hunting season (we normally tag out 5-6 weeks ago), I'm scrambling to get ready for winter... in less than a month, the temps WILL drop to -40F, and hover around there for the next 3 months.

For anyone thinking of heading North in case of SHTF... SERIOUSLY consider this! I go out tarp camping in this weather. I go out skiing or snowshoeing in this weather. I go out quading with my dog in this weather. I just go out and build a quinzee or an igloo for fun in this weather. If you plan on bugging out North if SHTF, do you think you can survive/thrive in this weather? This is your wake up call... especially for you mid-southern folk.... Winter up north is harsh... winter up North kills. know before you go!

right now it is -8C outside... but there is a 45 mph wind blowing from the North.... This means the ambient temp outside is an equiv of about -23C. when it gets cold... -40 with that same wind.... that'll put it well below -60C.

ALso, I believe the majority of the prairie provinces are climate zone for planting 2 ... it is harsh and it is cold. When living under these conditions the blood thickens ... over the years and us humans (as a tropical animal) can handle the cold, with the proper attire. I layer down jackets when it gets too cold! I am a tall big girl so I have one large down jacket that is form fitting (room 3 layers under) ... then I have my XL down parka from LL Bean to go over. Snow pants, big boots a size and a half to big to accommodate 2 layers of, socks. Gators. Also winder hats with built in brims to shade my eyes. Down filled mittens from MEC.

Yeah, if you aren't your own walking insulated sleeping bag ... when it is this cold ... you cannot survive travel to get here on foot. In the winter also, snow shoes take awhile to get used to. Yeah ... I think a lot of those from the US .. will stay in the US :)

But on the other hand, Canadians (well country folk, not city folk) have a different mentally then a large portion of US people under extreme conditions. Maybe it comes from the cold weather and low population? Abundant farms ... tonnes of wood ... if I was living in the US I would still head up here ... I would look at what Canadian Farms accept WOOFers (people who work the farm for food accommodations and lodging), and ask them now (while times are still ok) to visit. These farms will need people durning collapse, have food and accommodations. And if they've known you form before, you could ask if they can offer you safe haven during collapse.

Paul-K
12-07-2011, 02:11 PM
N.E. Ohio

Just across the border from you in Pa.

Sparrow
12-07-2011, 02:11 PM
Sniper, have you put in a cold weather orchard? Green Barn nursery has a variety of zone 2 fruiting and nut trees! The could ship you in the spring. The Green Barn Nursery - Montreal, Quebec, Canada. Rare and exotic fruit trees, winter resistant. Environmental Seminars and Consulting. (http://www.greenbarnnursery.ca/)

Sniper-T
12-07-2011, 02:27 PM
I try to plant a couple hundred trees a year, I'm removing select areas of poplar and replacing them with useful trees. I have an extensive trail system on my property that we use for walking, skiing, snowshoeing etc. so I am making select clearings off the edges of the trails and planting in there so I have small select groves. Plus I have a bunch of different naturally occuring fruit trees.

This years plan is to plant a hedgerow of something like a hawthorn across the front of my property to act as a living fence. And then next year to do another wave of fruit trees. A neighbour has some great crab apple trees, so I'm going to help him prune them this spring, and I'm going to try to graft the branches on some of my trees. see if anything is compatible.

I am on very good terms with a couple of our local nurseries, and forestry office. Unfortunately trees aren't cheap, even when receiving a bulk discount.

eagle326
12-07-2011, 03:00 PM
Just across the border from you in Pa.

Welcome aboard Paul. Pa. is a nice place.

ANEURYSM
12-07-2011, 04:13 PM
N.W. corner ohio

Grumpy Old Man
12-07-2011, 05:30 PM
Where I live it is desert (< 10" precipitation/year), however we have a near year round growing season. My mandarin oranges are just now ripening, but I have to cover them to protect from frost. Right now it is about 60 with no wind so it is comfortable. When the Santa Ana winds blow 60 can be downright frigid.
In June we have the June Gloom where the marine layer comes this far inland (~80 miles to the coast) and July and August are typically over 100 daily with 115 being fairly common. Yeah it's a dry heat but even so that still PFH!

Sparrow I have a professional colleague who is a professor of Civil Engineering at The University of New Bruswick. I've been threatening to visit him in the summer to go after the awesome 5 lb Brook trout you have up there. 5 lb Brookie on a fly!

*shudders in near orgasmic bliss*

Grumpy Old Man
12-07-2011, 05:39 PM
Realist, we should get together next spring up in Bishop for opening day of trout season and to have a look at Long Valley Caldera. we might even get Jerry D to come over.

izzyscout21
12-07-2011, 06:10 PM
Upper Middle Tennessee, just to round out the triange between me, BP, and LadyHK. I'm just over the Kentucky border. Supposedly there are wicked winters here, but I just moved here, so I guess I'll have to find out.......(looks out the window at the falling snow)..............

Sparrow
12-07-2011, 06:34 PM
Where I live it is desert (< 10" precipitation/year), however we have a near year round growing season. My mandarin oranges are just now ripening, but I have to cover them to protect from frost. Right now it is about 60 with no wind so it is comfortable. When the Santa Ana winds blow 60 can be downright frigid.
In June we have the June Gloom where the marine layer comes this far inland (~80 miles to the coast) and July and August are typically over 100 daily with 115 being fairly common. Yeah it's a dry heat but even so that still PFH!

Sparrow I have a professional colleague who is a professor of Civil Engineering at The University of New Bruswick. I've been threatening to visit him in the summer to go after the awesome 5 lb Brook trout you have up there. 5 lb Brookie on a fly!

*shudders in near orgasmic bliss*

Yeah, we gots fish, we gots moose, we gots bear, we gots deer, we gots geese, we gots ducks, we gots a bazillions tonnes of taters.

Sniper-T
12-07-2011, 06:43 PM
^ all that... and you dont gots a gun?

Sparrow
12-07-2011, 07:22 PM
Yeah, the gun is a priority. But I gots a man. He gots a gun.

Grumpy Old Man
12-07-2011, 08:29 PM
Yeah, the gun is a priority. But I gots a man. He gots a gun.

So this accounts for the change in your replies in the word association thread?;)

GunnerMax
12-07-2011, 08:33 PM
Virginia here

Sparrow
12-07-2011, 08:48 PM
So this accounts for the change in your replies in the word association thread?;)

Nah, unfortunately, ... I gots a man = I gots a man MAG leader :) Not mine personally unfortunately. :o

The Stig
12-07-2011, 09:39 PM
Somewhere near Shelton ;)

(aka Gulf Coast of Mississippi)

Evolver
12-07-2011, 10:33 PM
Utah transplant. Born and raised in the Salt lake valley, was there 44yr until I uprooted myself (6yr ago) to be with Justa in Florida (see Justa's comments of Florida).
Utah has a pretty diverse climate. Northern Utah average temps are 30s with allot of snow in the winter and dry 90s in the summer and southern temps average 40 with very little snow in the winter and 100 in the summer. The entire state has good Hunting, Fishing, fantastic recreation spots, Preppers on Steroids (Mormons) and a vast amount of resources.

They both have there pros and cons just like anywhere but if S does HTF life will be a little easier here in Florida due to the year round growing season, the abundance of water for drinking and fishing and mild winters so no fuel is needed for heating.

Grumpy Old Man
12-07-2011, 10:37 PM
Evolver, I'm hoping to retire in the Cedar City area. I love Utah and the Great Basin!

Evolver
12-07-2011, 10:46 PM
Evolver, I'm hoping to retire in the Cedar City area. I love Utah and the Great Basin!

I just knew we had more in common! lol

Sparrow
12-07-2011, 11:37 PM
was gonna post a vid of my place .. but thought against it ...

piranha2
12-07-2011, 11:53 PM
Fort Pierce, Fla for the next couple days. Then back to the BOL.

realist
12-08-2011, 12:22 AM
Hay Grumpy I just may take you up on that. What do you fish with? I use a #8 DuPont spinner, I get my limit every time. I have never been in that area of the state, it sounds nice. I would really like to see it.

Sniper-T
12-08-2011, 12:28 AM

as a buddy... I'd like to see what you got... especially since I'm invited out! feel free to pm

gunbuilder69
12-08-2011, 01:11 AM
Scenic Homestead!

AlphaTea
12-08-2011, 02:20 AM
<--------Upper central
About 15 mile east of Rochester, on lake Ontario
NY sux
The weather here sux. 120-140" snow/year not uncommon
NY sux
The taxes here sux, $6500/yr for a 1800 ft2 house
NY sux
The roads here sux, not many cars >10yrs old due to salt and potholes
NY sux
They still have an Assault Weapons Ban here
Did I mention NY sux?
Sorry for the rant but NY sux. I live in NY but my heart is still in Dixie

ladyhk13
12-08-2011, 03:38 AM

OPSEC girlfriend....hugs

ladyhk13
12-08-2011, 03:40 AM
Fort Pierce, Fla for the next couple days. Then back to the BOL.

Used to live in Vero Beach, right up the road from ya!

Sparrow
12-08-2011, 03:41 AM
OPSEC girlfriend....hugs

Yeah! The videos would have been fine .. of the views around here ... but then I remembered it would like to my youtube with vids of me ... yeah last thing I need is an online stalker ... I am just that cute.

I could post it in the ladies section though!!!

ladyhk13
12-08-2011, 04:06 AM
Yeah! The videos would have been fine .. of the views around here ... but then I remembered it would like to my youtube with vids of me ... yeah last thing I need is an online stalker ... I am just that cute.

Yes you could post there...I can't watch them though because I have sucky satellite internet and they limit how much I can download and upload so vids and music is pretty much off limits. Ahhhh...country living.

Sniper-T
12-08-2011, 11:43 AM
... I am just that cute!!!

The only thing that surpasses your cuteness... is your modesty!
lol

That doesn't help the rest of us... :(

izzyscout21
12-08-2011, 12:58 PM
http://www.free-smiley-faces.de/puking-Smiley_Smilie-kotzend/www.free-smiley-faces.de_puke-smiley_smilie-kotzen_01_300x300.gif

piranha2
12-08-2011, 03:05 PM
Now thats funny.

ravensgrove
12-08-2011, 05:25 PM
I am not the type of person who asks for support. I am up at the crack of dawn and I work hard all day, every day by myself because that is just who I am. I wasn't going to talk about the changes that the Army is once again inflicting on our little farming lives until the last minute. But a little bird has encouraged me to tell that story, because its a story people don't really understand about being an Army wife. And its a story that if I don't tell, being the storyteller I am, I might spontaneously combust. I am going to need your encouragment in the next few months as I pack away all my dreams, and try to somehow find in myself the motivation to unpack them and do it all over again....on the other side of the country.

As you know the Army sent Big J to NY in September, and we settled in as a family to buck up for what appeared to be a year, maybe 18 months (a long time but we've done it before) of the financial and familial strain of yet another extended absence of the center of our household. He has already done 4 tours to Iraq, 1 to Afghanistan and a Korean hardship tour...along with all the other schools, TDYs et all. As early as last week I was still preparing for next season in full force. But it has become painstakingly clear that this absence will likely be the duration until he retires, and with that being much longer than 18 months....the farm has to relocate.

Try if you will to wrap your head around all the work that has been done here, all the blood, sweat and tears and the prospect of the logistical nightmare of moving all this livestock and family 3000 miles to extreme Upstate NY, where there is no one...but the Amish to compete with....and I am not so naive to think I can ever...on my best day....compete with the Amish in anything. I mean seriously...they are the A.M.I.S.H.

So....over the next few months you will watch me deconstruct all of my work of the past 3 years here, find a new homestead in NY, move Grapes of Wrath style clear across the country...all to once again...on a hope and a prayer...do it all over...hoping and praying the Army doesn't wield its evil arm and demolish my little life once again.

All to create a home for the love of a man, who is more often gone, than he is ever home.

And that my friends, is why military wives are saints. Farming potty mouth and all.

-Farmer aka as Gypsy Sabrina

Sniper-T
12-08-2011, 05:34 PM
Wow gypsy... I'm still trying to wrap my head around that!

That sux!!

Not much I can do for you from here but offer moral support. hope that helps.

Have you talked to the Amish yet? I think if you explain who you are, and what you wish to accomplish, they might just be able to help you out.

Good luck with your endevours.

And thanks for putting up with the Army's nonsense... If it wasn't for people like you the Army wouldn't be what it is today!

ravensgrove
12-08-2011, 07:35 PM
I plan on making Operation Infiltrate the Amish my first order of business the second I step foot on my place. A) they just know so much about the climate and how to do it, you'd be a moron not to and B) you can't beat the Amish at their own game...I'll have to figure out how to make those connections. I would hope if I just do what it is I do, and be who it is I am, that will speak for itself. But moving somewhere new...is always a ridiculous challenge. Still, what I do can be done anywhere...90% of my clientele is online. I just did 40% more business this year over last and its almost exclusively out of state online sales...so clearly, I can be a Gypsy...Big J can't just quit the Army.

My head hurts trying to think about the logistics of it all more than anything else. The upside is, that area has so many open abandoned farms I can probably walk into a place much more suited to what I do then even the one I have made here. I have to focus on the prospect of that...if I don't I might go postal at the post office when I mail out soap orders tomorrow.

JustAPrepper
12-08-2011, 10:20 PM
WHOAAAAA!! Raven!!!

I don't have much to offer other than moral support but if there is *anything* you need, give me a shout.

bacpacker
12-08-2011, 11:46 PM
I can't imagine trying to pack up and move a farm across town, let alone across the country. I really feel bad for you all having to go thru this and all the other stuff that you have in years past.
THANK YOU BOTH!
Like the others, not sure if I can do anything to help, but if you think of anything please let me know. I will be prayin for you all.

Sparrow
12-09-2011, 02:57 AM
as a buddy... I'd like to see what you got... especially since I'm invited out! feel free to pm

Pming my youtube :)

ladyhk13
12-09-2011, 03:47 AM
Raven...words cannot even come close to how my heart aches for you and what you are going through right now. Leaving your paradise and all you have worked to achieve to go to a place that is almost unfit for humans (I have lived in upstate NY and still have family there). I know you have the soul of a Viking and will be fine once you get there. The countryside is beautiful once you get past the winters (and the taxes) but even then, there is nothing more beautiful than waking up to a landscape of fresh snow blanketing everything as far as the eye can see...there is a certain peace in it. You will take this task on as you have every other one - head on and full force for you are a strong woman with focus and the love for a man that stories are written about.
Feel free to pm me anytime just if you need to talk, being prior military I know how it is on the inside and I'm here for you. Always remember to "breathe" and things will be ok.

Sniper-T
12-09-2011, 11:30 AM
Pming my youtube :)

Watching now... cute puppy!

Great location. lots of 'amenities' close by!

tx for sharing!

Sparrow
12-09-2011, 08:49 PM
I plan on making Operation Infiltrate the Amish my first order of business the second I step foot on my place. A) they just know so much about the climate and how to do it, you'd be a moron not to and B) you can't beat the Amish at their own game...I'll have to figure out how to make those connections. I would hope if I just do what it is I do, and be who it is I am, that will speak for itself. But moving somewhere new...is always a ridiculous challenge. Still, what I do can be done anywhere...90% of my clientele is online. I just did 40% more business this year over last and its almost exclusively out of state online sales...so clearly, I can be a Gypsy...Big J can't just quit the Army.

My head hurts trying to think about the logistics of it all more than anything else. The upside is, that area has so many open abandoned farms I can probably walk into a place much more suited to what I do then even the one I have made here. I have to focus on the prospect of that...if I don't I might go postal at the post office when I mail out soap orders tomorrow.

I know a farm that moved from my neck of the woods, out to Nova Scotia because of the warmer climate. They had to shut down all sales for one year. Bare in mind this was not a livestock farm - just plants. So the move was under +/- 10 hrs away. And I will reiterate ... they shut down for a full year!

Raven, I love you to bits ... and I know how exacting you are! Sparrow suggests: shut down farm sales for one year to adjust and get set up? *Sparrow runs in the corner to hide from potentially angry postal Raven*

Evolver
12-09-2011, 11:37 PM
Raven from where I sit and what I have seen from you... You can adapt and prevail. If you do end up infiltrating the Amish or making your own niche in NY I am sure the you will be welcomed and fit right in because of your skills, knowledge, working ethics, compassion and that you are a natural doer. This is just another curve in the road that right now looks icy but you have four wheel drive girl and you GO! Just think... Raven's Grove Family Farm Too (II). :)

ravensgrove
12-10-2011, 03:43 AM
Sparrow,

We will shut down everything but soap for a full year. I won't plant anything other than for the family, won't have enough summer by the time I get there to plant commercially. In lieu of: I'll plant a this and that approach see what works well there, then hit it commercially 2013. With the soap, I make up soap base every kidding season, and goats have to be milked so there ya go. We'll be processing all our of poultry and rabbits in a couple of weeks. We'll buy replacements once we get to NY. Small animals don't travel well and the cost of feeding them to not breed them this spring, until we get there in the summer doesn't pencil.

The Stig
12-10-2011, 12:44 PM
I am not the type of person who asks for support. I am up at the crack of dawn and I work hard all day, every day by myself because that is just who I am. I wasn't going to talk about the changes that the Army is once again inflicting on our little farming lives until the last minute. But a little bird has encouraged me to tell that story, because its a story people don't really understand about being an Army wife. And its a story that if I don't tell, being the storyteller I am, I might spontaneously combust. I am going to need your encouragment in the next few months as I pack away all my dreams, and try to somehow find in myself the motivation to unpack them and do it all over again....on the other side of the country.

As you know the Army sent Big J to NY in September, and we settled in as a family to buck up for what appeared to be a year, maybe 18 months (a long time but we've done it before) of the financial and familial strain of yet another extended absence of the center of our household. He has already done 4 tours to Iraq, 1 to Afghanistan and a Korean hardship tour...along with all the other schools, TDYs et all. As early as last week I was still preparing for next season in full force. But it has become painstakingly clear that this absence will likely be the duration until he retires, and with that being much longer than 18 months....the farm has to relocate.

Try if you will to wrap your head around all the work that has been done here, all the blood, sweat and tears and the prospect of the logistical nightmare of moving all this livestock and family 3000 miles to extreme Upstate NY, where there is no one...but the Amish to compete with....and I am not so naive to think I can ever...on my best day....compete with the Amish in anything. I mean seriously...they are the A.M.I.S.H.

So....over the next few months you will watch me deconstruct all of my work of the past 3 years here, find a new homestead in NY, move Grapes of Wrath style clear across the country...all to once again...on a hope and a prayer...do it all over...hoping and praying the Army doesn't wield its evil arm and demolish my little life once again.

All to create a home for the love of a man, who is more often gone, than he is ever home.

And that my friends, is why military wives are saints. Farming potty mouth and all.

-Farmer aka as Gypsy Sabrina

Thank you for taking the time to share this with us. Please let us know what your cyber-family ($.10 to Izzy) can do to help out.

While your move will have the "luxury" of time to plan some of us might someday face the misery of a big relocation borne from a SHTF event that destroyed our homes and forced us to relocate everything we own on the spur of the moment. So in some ways, keeping us posted on your progress will be helpful to all (and perhaps a bit cathartic for you).

Having relocated a long distance back in March, I feel your pain.

ladyhk13
12-11-2011, 04:21 AM
I feel blessed that we will be relocating on our terms. We found the right piece of land after a long search and have the time to plan everything out while staying where we are. Thank God we don't have to do it Raven's way, I don't know if I could do it like her.

Twitchy
12-11-2011, 06:03 AM
Central West Coast of Florida... South of Tampa... its REALLY hot... its not right to be running the A/C in December... :mad:

Stormfeather
12-11-2011, 10:26 AM
<=== Southwestern Wisconsin near LaCrosse currently!

N.E. Ohio

Hey Eagle, you are living in my old stomping grounds almost! Im originally from Wayne County (Orrville)

eagle326
12-11-2011, 12:48 PM
<=== Southwestern Wisconsin near LaCrosse currently!

Hey Eagle, you are living in my old stomping grounds almost! Im originally from Wayne County (Orrville)

My family is originally from Wooster & Orriville. Old farm family. Mom & Dad lived in Smithville when I was born. Had to go to Massillon hospital for my birth.Most of my relatives are buried at the cemetary in Orriville.
Small world Stormfeather. Not much has changed there. Still a lot of country and Amish.
Stay warm up there. :)

Stormfeather
12-12-2011, 03:52 AM
My family is originally from Wooster & Orriville. Old farm family. Mom & Dad lived in Smithville when I was born. Had to go to Massillon hospital for my birth.Most of my relatives are buried at the cemetary in Orriville.
Small world Stormfeather. Not much has changed there. Still a lot of country and Amish.
Stay warm up there. :)

Ok, so going to take a stab in the dark here. . . , Do you remember the old Bait Shop on the corner of Oak Street and Elm Street in Orrville on the edge of town? I grew up there! Mind if I ask the family name? You can take it to PM if you need/want to!
Yea, very small world sometimes! Believe it or not, I havent been back to Orrville in quite a long time. I stopped in to see a buddy of mine (last name Battig), two years ago after I came back from Iraq and then headed out after a few days, before that it had been a good 12-13 years since I had been back there. I actually plan on going back next year for the 25 year school reunion if they have one. Spent the past many years out in California, Florida, Texas, and overseas.
Yea, trying to stay warm, but its not that hard if ya know what you are doing!

ravensgrove
12-13-2011, 05:47 AM
New land secured...and I gained a couple acres to produce on in the process....new place arable 9 acres, + some nonarable. Now...if we survive not killing one another while living in a tiny two bedroom place where Big J has been, I lovingly call the hobbit hole while getting our place on the new land as soon as the ground unthaws...we're golden. I walk in May at Gonzaga with my fancy Graduate degree and then we head East my friends. I am now full on petrified of zone 5a.

Sniper-T
12-13-2011, 11:12 AM
you will adapt!
you will overcome!
You will prosper!

positive thoughts girl, positive thoughts!!

Jasper
12-13-2011, 12:51 PM
Hi. New to the forum. Located in New Brunswick, Canada.

Sniper-T
12-13-2011, 12:52 PM
Welcome aboard! you're the second one from out that way!

The Stig
12-13-2011, 01:07 PM
Hi. New to the forum. Located in New Brunswick, Canada.

Hello Jasper...glad to have you.

bacpacker
12-13-2011, 01:09 PM
Welcome jasper

Sparrow
12-13-2011, 01:55 PM
Welcome Jasper! I am in NB as well not too far from Fredericton where I am working on a BOL for the next 6-10 months.

eagle326
12-13-2011, 04:42 PM
Ok, so going to take a stab in the dark here. . . , Do you remember the old Bait Shop on the corner of Oak Street and Elm Street in Orrville on the edge of town? I grew up there! Mind if I ask the family name? You can take it to PM if you need/want to!
Yea, very small world sometimes! Believe it or not, I havent been back to Orrville in quite a long time. I stopped in to see a buddy of mine (last name Battig), two years ago after I came back from Iraq and then headed out after a few days, before that it had been a good 12-13 years since I had been back there. I actually plan on going back next year for the 25 year school reunion if they have one. Spent the past many years out in California, Florida, Texas, and overseas.
Yea, trying to stay warm, but its not that hard if ya know what you are doing!

Yea I know about where you're talking. Don't get over there much anymore. Some of the family names are as follows:
Perry ; mom's side
Derr ; grand father
Cooper ; Great grand ma
Craig ; my dad
Swain ; aunt's married name

Sorry for not getting right back to you. Was busy re-doing chicken coop and their yard. :D

Jasper
12-13-2011, 06:35 PM
Thanks guys and girls for the welcome. I live outside of Fredericton about 20km. I have a BOL on a lake but not much land to go with it. Hope to be adding to it soon.

ladyhk13
12-13-2011, 07:19 PM
I am surprised at how many Canadians we are getting here! So very cool (no pun intended). Welcome...maybe if we get enough of you involved you can get your gun laws changed?

Sniper-T
12-13-2011, 07:23 PM
^ we're working on it! But until the rest of Canada gets together and plays Rednecks and Liberal Frenchies, we'll be stuck with they're crap politics.

Sparrow
12-13-2011, 08:14 PM
^ we're working on it! But until the rest of Canada gets together and plays Rednecks and Liberal Frenchies, we'll be stuck with they're crap politics.

Nah, Canada is a land of Sheeple ... in the worst way. :D

eagle326
12-13-2011, 08:18 PM
I am surprised at how many Canadians we are getting here! So very cool (no pun intended). Welcome...maybe if we get enough of you involved you can get your gun laws changed?

Or we can set up an international MAG system and have 2/3's of the continent working together. :cool:

eagle326
12-13-2011, 08:20 PM

Hey Sniper maybe we can get some Rednecks to imigrate to turn the tide up there.;)

DETH LIVES
01-02-2012, 12:36 AM
Sup? NE OHIO here....

The Stig
01-02-2012, 12:39 AM
Welcome aboard DETH LIVES.

eagle326
01-02-2012, 12:47 AM
Welcome Deth ; N.E. Ohio here also.

Evolver
01-02-2012, 01:04 AM
Sup? NE OHIO here....

Good to see Ya Deth and welcome to the board. Pull up a log and settle in, fire is nice and warm and the coffee is on. :)

Gunfixr
01-02-2012, 02:23 AM
East Coast here, Virginia. Almost on the coast, about 30 miles in from Virginia Beach, over on a peninsula, so there's lots of water here.
Makes for fun weather. Been here all my life.

Twitchy
01-02-2012, 02:57 AM
not sure if i posted here but im in Florida... west coast near Tampa...

Alas Babylon
01-06-2012, 06:23 PM
East central Florida, South east of, and a little too close to, Orlando. Rural area now, but changing/ developing rapidly.

Daybreak
01-06-2012, 11:07 PM
Just a hop, skip and a jump away from Alas Babylon

Evolver
01-06-2012, 11:59 PM
Good to see ya Day. :)

Vert you should sent invites out for the Florida Peppers Group that you started to Alas, Daybreak, Taz Baby, Flavapor, Goose, and Swamp Yankee.

I know it's kinda inactive at the moment but it's at least we will all be attached to it and we could even set up local M&G through there.

Taz Baby
01-07-2012, 02:18 AM
Well I am really in two places. I work in around Tampa Fla. 6 weeks starting in March. Then again in Nov. The rest of the time I am at my BOL. Now that is home. If I went 1 hr. In any direction I would be in another state. 5 states surround me. Also the blue ridge mountains are close by. I was raised in south Fla close to Stuart. Lived in the jungles of Belize Central America for 2 years and now living like 'Little House on the Prairie'. Very primitive. I go to Hardees just to watch T.V.