PDA

View Full Version : Often overlooked OTC meds.

W9driver
03-20-2011, 05:59 AM
1. Ora gel. Everybody has had a bad toothache. You cant eat properly, its a distraction, it makes rest difficult and it just plain hurts.

2.Ear ache relief. Once again same as above but as most of us know if you have little children they do get ear aches and that will add to a already stressfull situation if your child cant be calmed down.

3. Pink eye medication. If no meds are available this will almost shut a person down but yet its very simple to treat with OTC drops.

4. Gas X. If you have to dig into your preps and they are a differant type of food than what your body is used to this is a very real possibility. Not life threatening but it hurts and will make you less than 100%

5. Sore throat spray. The last thing anybody needs is something as simple as this getting inflamed and progressing to something that would require anti biotics.

6. Sunscreen. Everybodys had a sunburn and knows it hurts but can easily be avoided.

7. Vicks. Once again everybody has had a runnin nose or sinus congestion. Simple fix but a big a pain if you cant.

8. Sleep aid. Might not be for everybody but if you have done all you can do for your for your family dont stay up all night worring about it. They will need you rested agin the next day.

9. Baby powder. Those with small chidren know that this can be a huge help.

10. Athletes foot powder. Easy fix but will ruin your day if you cant get relief.

bacpacker
03-20-2011, 05:50 PM
+!
Some others I thought of. Not all are OTC meds, but all have some similar properties.

Benadryl tabs,work with several different issues allergies, and sinus to name 2.
Anti dirreahal, enough said and no I cant spell worth crap :)
Altoids, not a med but will help calm a cough and will help open your head up from congestion
Motrin (iboprophen), helps releive many aches and pains, fever as well
Poision IVY, OAK treatment. I'm not normally affected by it, but once TSHTF most folks will be cutting fire wood, picking wild eatibles, etc. If you are affected you will won't some on hand.
Epson salts, a old good for most anything treatment. It works well for some, such as mix in some salts with hot water to soak a sprain or bad bruies in. It will help releive swelling and with the pain. Works as a laxitive. It can also be used sparingly as a calcium supplement on tomato plants. These are just a few that I know works.

Very good thread. I'll be interested in seeing what everyone comes up with.

LUNCHBOX
03-21-2011, 01:14 AM
I will come up with some more but wanted to put this in now....

Visine--If your up and down alot without as much sleep as you normally get this could come in handy.
Calamine lotion--ex military personel will know what I mean, you get a painful rash and this helps for a quick fix.

More to come.

Twitchy
03-21-2011, 01:25 AM
Calamine lotion--ex military personel will know what I mean, you get a painful rash and this helps for a quick fix.

BUT PASTE! (Do i get a cookie for the correct answer?)

To contribute to the thread, don't forget Lice medications (fun topic but useful)
Tylenol, benydryl, KI, will list more when i research...

The Stig
03-21-2011, 01:35 AM
Very good stuff and probably where my med kits are lacking the most. I can handle a gunshot wound but a good case of jock itch will probably shut me down.

ak474u
03-21-2011, 01:36 AM
I highly recommend faultless powdered starch for chafing, the fact is if on foot for a long distance, you're gonna sweat, and a bath may be a luxury, painful, and morale breaking chafing is a distinct possibility. This was a trick I learned from my dad when I was in the boy scouts, I got so chafed once, I couldn't walk, my dad left the scout camp and ran into town, when he came back with the faultless starch, it was like a miracle cure.

TEOTWAWKI13
03-21-2011, 04:46 PM
might I add other remedies are available, too. bacpacker mentioned poison oak/ivy. houselhold bleach on a cloth, and laid on the area, will dry it out literally overnight. It does burn a bit, but if you're tolerant to a little pain, it's the fasted rememdy I know of.

Beaudreaux's butt paste is also a good anti chaffing topical remedy.

bacpacker
03-21-2011, 09:16 PM
Another good anti chaffing remedy I've used while hiking for many days, long distances. Corn Starch. A buddy of mine told me about it, said he had used it for years. I gave it a try and it works great. Just don't mix it with your cook kit!
:)

alaska
03-22-2011, 11:23 PM
Not exactly a med, but an eyeglass repair kit found in the pharmacy is a must for us blind bastards.

LUNCHBOX
03-24-2011, 05:57 AM
Tums might be a good add-on.

Kodiak
03-24-2011, 08:02 AM
I know the new fad is don't use peroxide, but it can be very useful obviously as a disinfectant. It can also be used for oral hygiene, my grandma has been using it for as long as i can remember.

bacpacker
03-24-2011, 10:35 AM
I know the new fad is don't use peroxide, but it can be very useful obviously as a disinfectant. It can also be used for oral hygiene, my grandma has been using it for as long as i can remember.

+1 very useful indeed.
Prilosec & pepcid are very good. Oral rehydration salts also.

LUNCHBOX
03-25-2011, 03:45 AM
Vick's rub, Desitin (with kids)--don't forget the kid meds.....

I know this is kind of steering away from the med idea but band-aids should be looked at. There are many different styles out there, I think that you will need more plain regular ones than any others, kids will cut themselves often. A good list could come in handy....butterflies, knuckle, tape w/4x4 pads, tape w/2x2 pads, fingertip, standard and pre-medicated.

Kodiak
03-25-2011, 11:09 AM
Another useful item would be hand/body lotion with aloe. Good for burns, itches, scrapes, scratches and dry lips just to name a few. Would be very useful for the women and kids especially.

And speaking of lips, chapstick would come in handy.

bacpacker
03-25-2011, 08:33 PM
We have dabbled a little bit with herbal meds and have found the Lavendar Essintial oil to work great for a second degree burn. My wife sat a cookie sheet on the stove and turned the eye on by mistake. When she grabbed it to move it out of the way, it burned 2 fingers pretty bad. We got ice water to soak it in ASAP. She kept it in there for 20 minutes, shen she pulled her hand out where she had burnt the finger till they were white, right at blistered. We gently rubbed some of the oil on her fingers and wrapped them in gause. Next morning removed the gause and her fingers were back to normal, just slightly red, no sign of blistering.

izzyscout21
03-26-2011, 02:01 AM
Anti-Monkey butt powder
Desitin baby rash cream
Emetrol for nausea
maybe even an enema??

Stg1swret
04-30-2011, 09:01 PM
Baking Soda, can be mixed with a number of other ingredients to make toothpaste, anti itch salve, etc. Kind of like duct tape 1001 uses.

izzyscout21
05-02-2011, 10:53 PM
I know we've already said such things as Ambesol and Ora Gel, but they can also be used as a topical numbing agent. I've used them before when I needed to give myself stitches.

getreadyorgetdead
09-21-2011, 10:29 AM
This might not be the place for this but birth control . Moleskin is good for blisters ,benzocaine (iodine ) aloe vera has many uses ,rubbing alcohol . Not otc but epi pens if anyone's had strong allergic reaction to anything. If you are into herbal supplements valarian root works as a sleep aid (it is what valium is synthesized from ) cranberry pills could probably help a urinary tract infection or prevent it . Yarrow tea helps break fevers. Instant cold pack and hand warmer .

realist
09-22-2011, 05:40 AM
Pepto-bismol is great for diarrhea and up set stomach. Lunchbox Desitin is not just for kids, it works well on us adults too.

The Stig
09-22-2011, 11:04 AM
This might not be the place for this but birth control .

Nothing wrong with bringing that up. Even during a localized event the chance of a woman running out of BCPs is possible. Without being prepared with alternate methods you could be left unprotected if one were to engage in post SHTF event hijinks.

izzyscout21
09-22-2011, 06:26 PM
Nothing wrong with bringing that up. Even during a localized event the chance of a woman running out of BCPs is possible. Without being prepared with alternate methods you could be left unprotected if one were to engage in post SHTF event hijinks.

My wife and I actually discussed this. It's one of the reasons she went with an IUD.

bacpacker
09-23-2011, 12:59 AM
You could do like me. Get your ole lady fixed. J/K it was a medical issue.

Sniper-T
11-02-2011, 12:57 PM
Getting myself 'fixed' is on the list!

lol

I always make sure to have advil, rolaids
and toothpicks. (sometimes flossing just isn't convenient)

I was going to add Vicks... but I see it was already included. So I'll just add some info I got in an email:

VICKS VapoRub - INTERESTING
During a lecture on Essential Oils, they told us how the foot soles can absorb oils. Their example: Put garlic on your feet and within 20 minutes you can 'taste' it.
Some of us have used Vicks VapoRub for years for everything from chapped lips to sore toes and many body parts in between. But I've never heard of this. And don't laugh, it works 100% of the time, although the scientists who discovered it aren't sure why. To stop night time coughing in a child (or adult as we found out personally), put Vicks VapoRub generously on the soles of your feet, cover with socks, and the heavy, deep coughing will stop in about 5 minutes and stay stopped for many, many hours of relief. Works 100% of the time and is more effective in children than even very strong prescription cough medicines. In addition it is extremely soothing and comforting and they will sleep soundly
Just happened to tune in A.M. Radio and picked up this guy talking about why cough medicines in kids often do more harm than good, due to the chemicals in them This method of using Vicks VapoRub on the soles of the feet was found to be more effective than prescribed medicines for children at bed time. In addition it seems to have a soothing and calming effect on sick children who then went on to sleep soundly.
My wife tried it on herself when she had a very deep constant and persistent cough a few weeks ago and it worked 100%! She said that it felt like a warm blanket had enveloped her, coughing stopped in a few minutes.So she went from; every few seconds
uncontrollable coughing, she slept cough-free for hours every night she used it.

mollypup
11-02-2011, 02:32 PM
Yeast infection medication (women) and urinary tract relief pills (can't remember the name of them right now but you can buy them everywhere).

izzyscout21
11-08-2011, 12:22 PM

After much searchin, I have found the answer. I have to get one just to say I have one.

Backcountry Intimacy Kit (http://www.mountaingear.com/pages/product/product.asp/imanf/Adventure+Medical+Kits/idesc/Backcountry+Intimacy+Kit/Store/MG/item/115371/N/0)

stew47
11-10-2011, 01:34 AM
Not really otc lol but I added some tweezers in my box. I whine when I get splinters.

Evolver
11-13-2011, 03:07 PM
Some thread for Tick removal.

Just make a overhand loose knot, slip it over the tick as close to the skin as possible, tighten the knot but not too tight then very slowly add tension and work it out. The tick won't like the thread around its neck and it backs out. presto!

Evolver
11-13-2011, 03:12 PM
Lost Filling and Loose Cap Repair.
The one that I picked up was from Wally-World made buy DenTek called Temparin Max Its a small 1/2oz container with applicator. Haven't had to use it so no review.

Crazy Glue or Derma Bond
For closing clean cuts (like knife or razor cuts) after you irrigate and clean. You can buy Drerma Bond online but it costs allot and the shelf life is only 6 mo - 1yr. I have read about using Crazy Glue there are some warnings but I have a tube in my kit and will use it if needed.

bacpacker
11-13-2011, 08:34 PM
A Dr my wife used to be a nanny for used crazy glue on a clean cut to mend it back together at a swim meet his kids were at. She said that it closed right up and actually didn't look bad at all.
Big thing here is to be certain the cut is very clean first.

realist
11-14-2011, 01:29 PM
Crazy glue has been used for years by bartenders who always have their hands in water. Don't use it on real deep cuts because they may need to heal from the inside out, I have one now.

I asked my dentist what he would recommend that I use for temporary filings and he said most of the over the counter dental temps work very well. I do not know how long they will last but anything to relieve the pain would be a good thing.

Sniper why is it they called it "Fixed"??? I kinda look at it as being broke.............

Evolver
11-14-2011, 03:46 PM
Yeast infection medication (women) and urinary tract relief pills (can't remember the name of them right now but you can buy them everywhere).

AZO Standard ;)

Katrina
02-11-2012, 05:35 AM
One thing I've found if tums/ antacid is not available. Wintergreen or peppermint life savers. Will do in a pinch I had run out of tums/rolaid at work, one of my co workers had a dish of peppermint life savers at her desk. I've heard that the peppermint oil would soothe the tummy. Popped a couple and it worked. Plus it's a hard candy so it should keep a long time. Don't forget the witch hazel lotion.

DFWprepper
05-29-2012, 08:33 PM
1. Ora gel. Everybody has had a bad toothache. You cant eat properly, its a distraction, it makes rest difficult and it just plain hurts.

+1 here. You can use it to numb skin as well. Great on boot blisters before slapping on the moleskin/gray tape and getting back on the trail.

Evolver
05-29-2012, 10:50 PM
Clove oil for temporary thumbing but long term can cause burning of tissue.
Saline solution for wound irrigation and care.
Preparation H for the dreaded droid and... the common cold sore. (you might want more then one tube if there is a double dipper under roof). EEK! LOL

Sniper-T
05-30-2012, 12:18 AM
Sniper why is it they called it "Fixed"??? I kinda look at it as being broke.............

I guess that depends on perspective... You get to have all the fun, without any of the hinderances, and without threat of the unwanted. to me that's a win-win-win scenario, as I do NOT want children now, and especially not after SHTF.

I've asked questions about birthcontrol and pregnancy and childbirth, not for me, nor my wife, but for others that are/may be in our group. knowledge is gold, and just because it doesn't affect me (or shouldn't), doesn't mean I'm about to stick my head in the sand.

Evolver
05-30-2012, 12:51 AM
I was broken/fixed twenty four years ago and was 100% ready. To this day I never thought of it as being broken and never will. I'm 50 years old, I have 4 kids and I can still ejaculate just fine. I/We have all that I/WE want in this regard.

izzyscout21
05-30-2012, 07:50 PM
Emetrol.....OTC nausea control for kids

izzyscout21
05-30-2012, 07:52 PM
Preparation H for the dreaded droid and... the common cold sore. (you might want more then one tube if there is a double dipper under roof). EEK! LOL

LMAO

LUNCHBOX
07-02-2012, 11:40 PM
Due to our oh so nice weather of late I am bringing up sunscreen and sunburn meds. 100+ degree days. You ever wore a rig on burnt shoulders?......OOOOOOOOOuch!!!!!!!

Vodin
07-03-2012, 12:30 AM
Virgin Coconut Oil
Where to begin...
Heals wounds faster
Acts as an awesome skin cream
Baking needs
and as a gun lubricant