PDA

View Full Version : Saving, Storing Seeds Info Thread.

Evolver
12-12-2011, 04:53 PM
Let use this thread for posting info that you have to share.

I've been doing allot of research on cross pollination and found that seed saving goes hand in hand. If you are going to save the seeds from you favorite plants it's very important to guard them against cross pollination so your seeds stay "true".

First generation cross pollinated fruits and veggies will look and taste the same but when you plant a cross pollinated seed (second generation) is where you will see and taste the effects. For an example say you have a hot pepper and sweet pepper that crossed what you end up with when you plant it's seeds is a fruit that could range from not as hot to not as sweet.

Here is how to prevent cross pollination on self pollinating plants which are...

Eggplant
Tomatoes
Beans
Peppers

1. If you have different varieties of like plants in the same plot you can use the "Bagging" method. This is where you place a "Pollination Bag" (small cloth or non plastic bag with draw string) over the bud or bud grouping before they blossom into a flower. The bag can be removed after the fruit "Sets" (you can see the small fruit).

The bag does two things.
1st, It will prevent insects carrying pollen from landing on the flower that are harvesting the nectar or pollen that is one of the causes of cross pollination and the other is air borne.

2nd. Each self pollinating plants flower has both male and female parts. This doesn't mean that it doesn't need to be pollinated. It still needs insects our wind to dislodge the pollen from the male parts that then pollinates the female part of the flower. Ok now back to the bag... When the bud is bagged and when the pollen is released it is contained in the bag so there is more of a chance to enter the female part of the flower.

Now... how you stimulate the flower to release it's pollen.

What you need to do is wait until the flower is in full bloom (all of the peddles are fully opened exposing the female parts) and just shake or flip the bag with your finger several times. Some people use a battery operated tooth brush that mimics the beating wings on a bee and Green Houses use fans. Hence the name Pollination Bags not Anti Pollination bags.

Pollination bags can be purchased or home made from a number of different materials that breath. It's best to have one the is semi see threw like a tight weave netting like tulle so you can see when its time to do the shaking and when the fruit is set.
The weave can't be too big though because of air borne pollen that might get in. Some bags are made from paper that has a plastic window glued in it for viewing.

2. If you stay with just one verity or if your plot is large enough to maintain 50' plus with a buffer crop between verities or there isn't a risk of crossing with the neighbors plants you might be ok not to bag.

Other Self Pollinators are most Greens. Greens produce flowers that when pollinated produce seeds (not fruit) so the bags is placed just after bolting and before the flowers start to open then can be left on until it's time to harvest the seeds. Leaving the bags on also aids in the seed harvesting.

This is a start and there is allot more on the Seed Saving and Storing Topic so lets keep this thread going. So what ya got?

realist
12-12-2011, 05:25 PM
Evolver thanks for the post. I had not thought of this in my garden. Now I have to plan accordingly for next year. I have to make sure that any volunteer plants are pulled this year to prevent problems next year.

Evolver
09-08-2012, 01:25 AM
Bump.

bacpacker
09-08-2012, 01:39 AM
E, I had completely forgot about this thread. Thanks for bumping it back up.

I've done some seed saving over the years. But have never gotten serious about it. I think that is one of the topic's I intend on studying this winter to try and get ready for next summer. Good pollination goes hand in hand with seed saving.

Evolver
09-08-2012, 01:49 AM
Post what you find. :)

bacpacker
09-08-2012, 02:04 AM
So far, I have had good luck with my cantaloupe seed this year. So far I have two types of watermelon drying out now. My tomatos this year were hammered by our 2-3 month drought. We got a quick blush of maters then nothing. We are starting to get a few late ones, but the fruit is pretty low quality. Due to that, unless something changes, I will not save anything from them this year. Our okra is just now starting to make and I hope to harvest some seed from it this year. Peppers this year were even worse than the tomatos. We will be getting some acorn, butternut, & spaghetti squash very soon and I will be raiding them for seed as well.

The wheat I harvested this year will have a sample planted from it this fall to see how it turns out.

I do have 2 new (to me) cold weather tomato varieties that will get transplanted into 8"pots tomorrow that I hope to bring into the house in the late fall and HOPEFULLY have a harvest into the winter. I've never tried tomatos indoors before so this is all new to me.

ladyhk13
09-08-2012, 02:29 AM
We had a bumper crop of tomato's this year, first time ever. White cukes were awesome too. Garlic came out great. Sweet potato's are looking wonderful but I have to figure out when to harvest. I would have had white potato's but got lazy and didn't mulch the way I should have. Bugs got the broccoli and asparagus but again that was my fault for not keeping up with Seven. Bad on me.

bacpacker
09-08-2012, 02:41 AM
Lady, the sweet taters will be fine in the ground as long as you get them out before frost bites the vines. My dad grows them every year and he generally harvest late Sept to mid Oct. He lives east of me about an hour.