PDA

View Full Version : Life Lesson

The Stig
03-22-2011, 01:30 AM
So I'm sitting at a 5 Guys Burgers and Fries restaurant with my family. This older scruffy guy with a dufflebag and Veteran hat started making funny faces at my daughter. My initial reaction was that I'd have to deal with this weirdo pestering my family.

He then proceeds to pantomime that he has 3 kids, they grow up fast and my daughter has me wrapped around her finger. Doesn't say a word.

As I eat dinner I notice that he's doing this with all the kids and fathers in the restaurant.

About 3/4 through dinner he slowly rises and with the help of a cane shuffles out the door. We exchange glances as he gives me the thumbs up. I don't normally do this but I was suddenly stricken with the urge to give the man money. I almost never do that but the combination of the Veteran hat and his routine hit me. Next thing you know I'm wrestling with should I/shouldn't I. What if he's a drunk and I'm feeding his habit. He could be a pervert. Anybody can wear a Vet hat to pimp for change. Blah blah blah.

While I'm having this internal debate I notice a young man, clearly in his early 20's, with a baby and wife/baby momma go out and hand the man some bills. From his demeanor the young man appeared to be military.

So now I'm feeling like a total shithead.

Maybe this kid is a drug dealer or gang member. Maybe he's a total doofus. But my gut take was that he was trying to be a good father/husband/baby daddy just based on his his demeanor, body language, etc.

Further, I'm willing to bet I'm in a far better position to be handing out money than this kid (especially considering we just dropped an obscene amount on a new TV).

Yet he did "the right thing" and I sat and argued with myself.

I was tempted to give the kid $20 and just say I saw what he did and was convicted by it. Wasn't sure how he'd take it and they ended up leaving before we did.

Anyway, it was a case where someone probably close to 1/2 my age listened to his conscious and acted and I sat like a turd nugget and equivocated. It may well be the old guy was a complete derelict out pimping for a handout. But my gut was to help him and let God sort out the details.....I didn't listen to my inner self and am regretting it.

alaska
03-22-2011, 01:45 AM
You were not a turd nugget. you noticed right away the sitrep. You were precautious. Not a DAMN THING wrong with that. we try and be benevolent but society as a whole has made us devout cynics in the past years. do not beat your self up. You did nothing wrong. If you feel the need then ask around. get a lil intel, and perhaps find/see him another day and help him out. Heck he may just want to talk to someone. Often people in that perceived situation enjoy down to earth conversation vs. a 20 spot.

DO NOT BEAT YOUR SELF UP and to be honest it should do your soul good to see another human was, in fact, human back to some one else, which IMHO is few and far between these days.

P.S. If you do talk to the guy you may be able to get him some supplies or something if yoru uneasy handing out money.
I once bought 2 home less guys 20 bucks of burger king and filled their propane tank for the tent heater

RedJohn
03-22-2011, 08:34 AM
Don't beat yourself, you've done nothing wrong.

Chubbs
03-22-2011, 01:07 PM
Yeah i wouldn't worry about it. Its not "MANDATORY" that you give every person you see struggling or homeless something.

TEOTWAWKI13
03-22-2011, 10:10 PM
Tough one. You didn't do anything wrong, but you didn't listen to your heart and conscience. It's something we always do though. In my area, we have several "homeless" guys and gals who stand on the exit ramps with their signs. I stopped on day and offered some canned food and a p38 can opener and was almost rudely told "no thanks, I'm good on food."

So it's tough to say. I'll say what I was told growning up. All we answer for is what we do to help others. How they use that help is their choice and they'll answer for that one day.