PDA

View Full Version : Manual Coffee Grinder

realist
12-17-2011, 05:25 PM
I need help finding a good manual coffee grinder. I want one that will last and will do the job in a reasonable amount of time. I do not want one of those personal ones that only does one or two cups of coffee. I want one that will supply enough coffee for a minimum of 12 cups at a time. Most of the ones that I have seen will only do about 4 cups. I have checked Leman's but they only have the one. If you have any experience with one please let me know.

Sniper-T
12-17-2011, 05:36 PM
I have one of these, and love it. good solid piece of kit!

Bresil Coffee Mill by Peugeot (http://www.kitchenniche.ca/bresil-coffee-mill-p-3083.html?osCsid=1b7541fe8493ef83d9669384af53dfff)

msomnipotent
12-17-2011, 05:41 PM
It looks like Amazon.com sells the same one, and it has good reviews. I didn't know these were still made. I was just resigned to pounding the beans with my mortar and pestle. Good to know!

Sniper-T
12-17-2011, 05:50 PM
I bought it locally at a specialty kitchen shop. That was the first link that popped up. I've never bought from there before, so shop around

realist
12-17-2011, 06:00 PM
Sniper does it grind a bunch at a time. A lot of the reviews that I see say that if you have carpal tunnel or arthritis that these things are not for you.

Sniper-T
12-17-2011, 07:44 PM
it'll do mountains... as long as you keep adding beans and cranking it'll keep going. That drawer at the bottom holds about 2 cups of ground coffee, and I've overflowed it more than a few times, not paying attention. (it's easy to clean - lol_

Any kind of hand grinder, whether it is for coffee, grain, or meat, will be an issue for anyone with carpel or arthritis. There's a reason why they make electrical versions of all this stuff now.

But If you don't mind a little work, or subjecting your kids to it. It really isn't that hard. In hindsite, I wish I had bought one with a vertical cranking system, like my grainmill, as it would be easier to set up and run off of a stationary bicycle.

realist
12-17-2011, 09:30 PM
Do you know of a vertical one? Also how long have you been using yours?

Sniper-T
12-17-2011, 11:11 PM
vertical.... no. All hindsite. had mine for about 5 years... works flawless! IT is truly an awesome machine. I have my meat griner and my grain grinder set up to run off a bicycl4e. In hind site I wish I would heve done the same here. I can make the mods... but buyiing something diffenrent, could have saved mods....
T

Daca102090
12-17-2011, 11:46 PM
I don't know what the quality of this one is, but I have had my eye on one for several months now: Link below --

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices (http://www.ebay.com/itm/230518139282?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649)

Grumpy Old Man
12-20-2011, 08:22 PM
Realist you might want to look at these from Sweet Maria's. I've ordered from there and I like them.

Manual Grinders | Sweet Maria's Coffee (http://www.sweetmarias.com/sweetmarias/grinders/manual-grinders.html?source=side)