PDA

View Full Version : Frozen goods. What do you stock up on?

Fatty
12-21-2011, 12:29 AM
Alright, i have deep a freezer and the wife and i want to stock it full:). So I wanted to get ideas on what others prefer that is fairly easy to whip up and will last atleast a year.

Thanks in advanced.

helomech
12-21-2011, 01:18 AM
We stock ours with game we kill through the year, and chickens that we slaugter.

Sniper-T
12-21-2011, 12:09 PM
meat!

If you dont hunt, then find a butcher and buy a cow or a pig, or a half of each

Veggies!

It's always nice to throw a handful of mixed veggies in the pot of rice.

water.

warm rum sucks!

msomnipotent
12-21-2011, 02:30 PM
I have two deep freezers and the regular fridge/freezer. I stock one with convenience foods like pizzas and ice cream. It saves me money in the long run when I just don't have the energy to make an actual dinner. At least I don't have to order out. The other freezer holds meats. I fill any spaces with jugs of water. It makes it more efficient and I can use the water to drink if I have to. The other freezer just holds vegetables and whatever I plan on cooking that week.

Grumpy Old Man
12-21-2011, 06:44 PM
I stock up on frozen vegetables, produce from my garden, meat and fish. msomnipotent has the right idea regarding jugs of water. I use frozen ones in my refrigerator to minimize the electrical use. I also freeze bread and buy meat on sale when I see some at the grocery store (think beef tongue). I also use it to kill any bugs in flour or cornmeal that I buy. I'm not a real big juice drinker, but I keep 4 or 5 cans of Welch's concentrate in there as well.

izzyscout21
12-21-2011, 07:56 PM
Is it bad if I told you to put a Glock in there?
:confused:

Grumpy Old Man
12-21-2011, 09:25 PM
Izzy, everybody knows you only put cash and Rugers in the freezer! You put Glocks in the refrigerator behind the milk carton! *Sheesh, kids nowadays shaking head*

Sniper-T
12-21-2011, 10:03 PM
Is it bad if I told you to put a Glock in there?
:confused:

Actually it could be bad... but it isn't proven yet. LEO's in Canada have been Carrying Glocks almost exclusively for quite some time now, but they are getting rid of all their Glocks and replacing them with Sigs.

The problem is that somewhere between 12 and 15 thousand rounds the Glocks are developing micro fractures throughout the frame. Particularly on the .40's. It is most prevelent in areas where it gets the coldest, leading the hypothesis that the cold is somehow responsible. As a rule, whenever they (LEO) upgrade or update their weapons, they sell off the old stuff to the public. The Glocks are all being destroyed.

That said though... there have been ZERO instances of a catastrophic failure of any Glock of any Caliber due to these micro fractures.

izzyscout21
12-21-2011, 10:28 PM
anyway, now that I have succssfully derailed the thread...........

I keep a lot f frozen veggies in my freezer. We eat a lot of them, as the fresh doesnt keep as long and are really expensive. I always have sausage, ground beef and turkey, shrimp, fish, and several bags of chicken.

When I manage to buy a deep freeze, I'll improve those foodstocks.

RedJohn
12-23-2011, 09:48 PM
I only freeze what I am willing to lose. Electricity is the first thing that will go away, so I have no frozen preps. For non preps, mostly meat.

Sniper-T
12-23-2011, 10:30 PM
pizza. If I don\t feel like cooking when I get home, it's a quick an easy meal.

I don't like most frozen pizzas per se, but have found a couple worthy.

still, I pre-heat the oven, then add another layer of sauce (either premade or bought), add whatever I have in the fridge, meat veggies, etc. or (rehydrate veggies and meat), and then unthaw a block of cheeese and add another layer on top. add some seasonings to the top... and dust the pan with some garlic and onion....

nice hearty meal, with lots of goodness!

I buy them on sale, for a couple few bucks aper. if SHTF and they spoil... who cares

Gunfixr
12-23-2011, 10:49 PM
The freezer stocks nothing. We live in a hurricane zone, with a goodly storm most years, Winters bring "Nor'easters" which is essentially a cold weather hurricane. I also live on a 6 house grid, we're one of the last ones on.
I lost a freezer full of food about 7yrs ago, and haven't filled it since.
There's stuff in there, mostly quickie meals, ice cream, and such. Occasionally meats, but in small amounts. i could easily grill it all before it went, should the power go.
Canned or dried.

Fatty
12-23-2011, 10:52 PM
I wouldnt be stocking it just as winter rolls in without owning a generator for fears of ice storms and power loss. Thats the only reason im utilizing it for preps now.

LUNCHBOX
12-28-2011, 10:53 PM
3 or 4 of the neighbours "climbing all over my garage" cats......J/K. I do the usual stuff also, meat and veggies. I free that you have to have a generator to keep it going if your keeping it stocked. The water jug idea is nice because it will give you more time to slowly cook your stock.

A nice cold shot of liquor from the freezer....enough said.

Sniper-T
12-29-2011, 07:24 AM
Winter is the one time that I do not worry about my freezers. moderate PITA factor, but if the power got knocked out for an extended period... I'd just empty it out into the garage. The garage freezers are good to go with or without power.

realist
12-29-2011, 01:29 PM
Redjohn you are correct in thinking ahead about loosing everything. That has happened twice to me with just kids leaving the door open during the summer when they were little. Well they have grown up, I'm surprised they lived this long, now no more problems. We store meats, bread, veggies just like everyone else. We also store a lot of fruit that we can use for preserves if we need to. I do have a generator in the event that the power goes out. We do not have the power outages that some of you have to experience.

Gunfixr
01-02-2012, 02:01 AM
LOL, I'm surprised our kids have lived this long, but one still has a few years to go.

But then again, it was a wonder I ever reached adulthood.