12-21-2011, 05:32 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsVCHE7ayPE

saw this today and had a good chuckle.

Sniper-T
12-21-2011, 05:47 PM
That's good.

lol

65%??? Really?

Up here all LEO's are phasing out the Glocks, and switching to Sigs. By 2013 they expect to have all the Glocks out of circulation.

bacpacker
12-21-2011, 10:27 PM
Good one Izzy! I like Gunny in most anything he is in.

Stormfeather
12-22-2011, 11:57 PM
Yes, its at least 65% of LEO's carry glock, theres a even larger portion thats authorized to carry.

Gunfixr
12-23-2011, 02:17 PM
Nice.

Yes, it's close to that percent, if not there.
One main reason? Glock give incredible bulk buy/LEO Dept discounts, so they win the bid.
Then, a few years later, when they want to upgrade to a new Gen model, or simply change calibers, Glock gives them an awesome trade in deal for what they have. Glock then refurbs and sells the trade ins, getting their money back, so everybody wins.
We are a Glock LEO sub-distributor. What that means is we sel the LEO guns, but don't have a store full of them, it's done on an order basis. Anyway, buyers who qualify get their personally owned guns right at $100 below what we sell the rest for, and we sell way below retail, usually right at Glocks minimum. Plus, the LEO guns come with 3 mags instead of two, however all the newer Gen4 guns are coming with 3, so that will not matter here soon, once they quit making Gen3 guns.

realist
12-23-2011, 03:39 PM
Perfection...........not.... The thing that I do not like about Glocks is they never admit there is a problem with their equipment. 65% of LEO may be issued them but that does not mean they can depend upon them if they can carry their own. Glock has just recently started replacing all 3rd Gen with us due to a 60% failure rate when a light was put on it. This was for the 40 cal only, the 9mm worked just fine. We now have 4th Gen replacements that work. However you would think that if they were really into service they would put out a notice. It would be nice to know that your gun isn't going to to work if you put a light on it and you work nights...... We can carry optional guns so that is why I carry a 1911 along with the majority of the rest of our instructors.

Gunfixr
12-23-2011, 10:39 PM
Well, the 4th Gen guns are having major recoil spring recalls.
It's one of the changes in the new Gen. Unfortunately, the 3rd Gen springs cannot be swapped in.
The 3rd Gen G21s run with a light, or mine did.
The Glock is not my favorite pistol, nor is it perfect. None is. However, they do work, for a long time. They are at least reasonably accurate, plenty so for what they are built for. They are not pretty, and they don't fit everyones' hands.
They do work. For an out of the box gun, it may run just about the best of any.
This is not to say that anything else does not run good enough. I personally carry a 1911 most of the time, shared by a Polish P64 when I carry something smaller. I rarely carry my G19, but do not feel unarmed with it.

realist
12-24-2011, 04:20 AM
I don't like the company's policies, the guns are okay. The thing about the Glock is it is one of the easiest semi autos to teach people. The bad thing is for people with small hands, me included, they are hard to shoot well. If is for that reason that I carry a 1911. The Glocks that we had to replace were the 22s. They all would operate okay without lights. It was when we put the light on that we had the malfunctions, failure to feed. As I said we have far too many that would not function reliability, that is why they were replaced. We do have some 19s that work with or without lights.

Gunfixr
12-24-2011, 08:52 PM
The Gen 4s have much smaller grips.
Of course, they're recalling the recoil springs.
I'm not much on some of their policies either, but what can you do?

GunnerMax
12-24-2011, 10:25 PM
Just curious, why do glocks not work well with lights? Does it have something to do with the recoil?

The Stig
12-25-2011, 12:33 AM
Just curious, why do glocks not work well with lights? Does it have something to do with the recoil?

My understanding is that the light screws with how the frame flexes under recoil. The end result is the slide doesn't have enough inertia to go to the full extent of its travel thus resulting in all sorts of feeding issues.

Gunfixr
12-25-2011, 02:22 AM
I've not had one that didn't work with a light, but then I've only owned a 9mm and a .45.

The .40s had lots of issues when they introduced them, but they've pretty much worked them out. I think they had some issues with the .357s too.

Despite what some will say (no one here), not every platform will work with every cartridge without changes. Platforms are most often designed around a chosen cartridge. Once the design is branched out into different calibers, often changes must be made, due to variations in recoil impulse, slide speed, mass versus cartridge energy, etc. Some are more easily adaptable than others.

The Stig
12-25-2011, 11:11 AM
And just for clariy, its the. 40S&W with lights that seem to have the problems. 9s and. 45s not so much.

My 4th gen G23 has never had an issue with a light so they seem to have concurred that issue. Of course the ruined the trigger and turned it into a pile of ass on the 4th gens which is awesome

LUNCHBOX
12-25-2011, 12:10 PM
At our dept....it was found that the light/malfunction issue was due to the grain of the bullet. 165 or 185, it would malfunction with 165 grain and then work fine with 185. They made it policy to use 185 grain only. I never heard anything else about the issues and now we are using the 4's. Of course the buy back option was there for the 3's for @$325.00......