PDA

View Full Version : What BOB do you use?

GunRunner
03-22-2011, 01:07 PM
Just trying to get a sampling of what BOB you all are using? I have several, but currently use a good ol' faithful MOLLE. I am considering upgrading to something a little more dated. I use a Maxpedition Vulture 2 for my EDC. Want to get a newer pack set up to keep in my car.

TEOTWAWKI13
03-22-2011, 02:05 PM
My EDC is an REI daypack. It stays in my truck while I'm too and from work. My other BOB pack would also be an REI pack, but more of a 3 day hiking variety. I also own a Kelty longterm hiking pack as well.

I don't have anything military-ish, although I plan on getting at least one that could double as a hunting pack. I feel like it's worth it to have that option.

The Stig
03-22-2011, 02:14 PM
It should come as no surprise to anyone that I use Maxpedition gear for nearly all of my various bags. I have several Condor II's, several Jumbo Versapacks, a Pygmy Falcon and on and on and on.

I find them to be fairly rugged, affordable and a good balance between military appearance/just another bag (not that I give two craps about that).

bacpacker
03-22-2011, 08:33 PM
I have a Moutain smith Butt pack with suspenders I use for a GHB, as well as, for day hiking. I have 2 possibilities for my BOB. One a Kelty frame pack that carries great and will handle 80-90lbs as comfortable as you can be. I've had it for years with zero issues, great pack. The wife also got me a Lowe internal frame pack that I've never carried. About the same size as the Kelty, but I don't think I would want to handle more than 60-75lbs in it. I plan on testing it this fall.

I'm in the process of completely reorganizing my pack right now and god help me it is a mess. Should be a lot better when I'm done.

TEOTWAWKI13
03-22-2011, 10:17 PM
I have a Moutain smith Butt pack with suspenders I use for a GHB, as well as, for day hiking. I have 2 possibilities for my BOB. One a Kelty frame pack that carries great and will handle 80-90lbs as comfortable as you can be. I've had it for years with zero issues, great pack. The wife also got me a Lowe internal frame pack that I've never carried. About the same size as the Kelty, but I don't think I would want to handle more than 60-75lbs in it. I plan on testing it this fall.

I'm in the process of completely reorganizing my pack right now and god help me it is a mess. Should be a lot better when I'm done.

When you get ready to test that pack let me know and I'll join ya.

Stig, I'd love some Maxpedition gear. That's what I'd really like to get myself. But for now, I've got suitable gear that just looks every day.

Jerry D Young
03-22-2011, 11:57 PM
Kifaru Marauder, Kifaru E&E, Cabela's Game cart

Kodiak
03-23-2011, 08:25 AM
I use an older version of the Mountainsmith (http://www.mountainsmith.com/products.asp?productId=278&categoryId=40&subCategoryId=35&subCategory2Id=0) Apex 75

I cant remember the exact name of the pack, but ive had it for 5 years and have had up to 80 pound loads with no problems. Im 6'5 and it fits me comfortably.

GunRunner
03-23-2011, 01:25 PM
It should come as no surprise to anyone that I use Maxpedition gear for nearly all of my various bags. I have several Condor II's, several Jumbo Versapacks, a Pygmy Falcon and on and on and on.

I find them to be fairly rugged, affordable and a good balance between military appearance/just another bag (not that I give two craps about that).

I like Maxpeditions gear. Its very well constructed and seems built to handle extreme abuse. Whats the biggest pack they make?

LUNCHBOX
03-23-2011, 02:03 PM
I run a Camelbak H2O for the truck, I then have the choice of a standard military tuck or a Jansport Bigbear. The wife will run a Jansport Scout.

bacpacker
03-23-2011, 03:56 PM
z

I use an older version of the Mountainsmith (http://www.mountainsmith.com/products.asp?productId=278&categoryId=40&subCategoryId=35&subCategory2Id=0) Apex 75

I cant remember the exact name of the pack, but ive had it for 5 years and have had up to 80 pound loads with no problems. Im 6'5 and it fits me comfortably.

I'm 6'4 myself and have had a hard time over the years finding a pack that fits right. That's one reason I hesitate to change up when I find something that works.

izzyscout21
03-26-2011, 02:26 AM
I run a Blackhawk 3 day assault pack for the car and a Blackhawk Enhanced SOF ruck for anything longer

The Stig
03-27-2011, 12:40 PM
I like Maxpeditions gear. Its very well constructed and seems built to handle extreme abuse. Whats the biggest pack they make?

Sorry I missed this before....looks like the Vulture II (http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/Vulture-II-Backpack-12p114.htm) is the biggest at 2810 cubic inches.

Mjollnir
03-29-2011, 08:46 AM
Kelty Coyote as main BOB. GHBs are a Kelty Jaunt for the wife and a Blackhawk Hydrastorm Predator pack for me.

choyboy
04-22-2011, 09:04 PM
This is the one both my brother and I each brought for BOB's.

MEC Brio 70 Backpack (http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444177 6565&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302888570)

large enough to hide our Bushmaster AR-15's or Mossberg 500 Roadblocker inside if needed.

This is what my wife and two adult daughters are each using for BOB.

MEC Cragalot Backpack (http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444263 5439&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302700149)

bacpacker
04-23-2011, 01:57 AM
Nice lookin packs Choy. What do you think about the suspension system?

tantalshooter
04-25-2011, 01:13 AM
For Edc I use a plain black MOLLE pack by Condor. I mounted a canteen pouch on the lower rows, but it doesnt look too tactical. For G.O.O.D. /BOB I use a Bergen by highlander. It is an 88 liter version with adjustable height and suspension system. It has been on several day hikes and I really like it. Three external pouches are handy for canteens, matches, MRE pouches, etc.

Grumpy Old Man
04-29-2011, 03:51 PM
I have an internal frame Outdoor Products pack I got 35+ years ago at Peace Surplus in Tucson. It's blue and dirty from years of use, but it has held up extremely well. It's also perfectly adjusted to my body. While I have an ALICE medium size and a new MOLLE system, I just don't like them as well. Plus, the Outdoor Products doesn't "stand out" the way the ALICE does.

spirit
11-23-2012, 12:18 AM
I have a surplus ALICE pack for a BOB...I keep an ACU assault pack in the truck.

Evolver
11-23-2012, 01:45 PM
We each our own 3 day-packs and we have a wheeled 30'' Eddie Bauer that works very well for pulling behind and still able to have one hand free.

http://cdn1.ebags.com/is/image/im6/213466_1_1?resmode=4&op_usm=1,1,1,&qlt=95,1&hei=280&wid=280&align=0,1

robsdak
11-24-2012, 12:42 AM
like some, i also sport the Maxpedition gear. EDC is a Jumbo Versipack. oddly enough, i have sent an email off to Maxped about doing 1-2 styles of their duffle bags in just plain foliage green.

2die4
11-24-2012, 04:43 AM
GHB stored in the car: Mine: LAPG bailout bag(loaded for 2 people), General's: Maxped Jumbo knockoff (went with the knockoff because 99% of the time the General's in my car.)

EDC: Rush 12

BOBs: USGI Assualt pack, RUSH 72, SOC Bailout bag

Plan is to get rid of the USGI bag. I have my eye on a Eberlestock Gunslinger II.

The Stig
11-24-2012, 07:05 PM
I didn't realize this was a zombie thread when it popped up again.

I've moved on from the Maxpedition gear to London Bridge Trading Company. Nothing too wrong with Maxpedition but the LBTC is even more rugged, offers "standard" molle and has some cooler features.

Mrs Stig has one from Grey Ghost Outfitters (which is essentially just a Tactical Tailor 3 day assault pack).