PDA

View Full Version : Americans Networking To Survive (ANTS)

mitunnelrat
12-29-2011, 01:03 AM
A.N.T.S. - Americans Networking To Survive (http://www.americansnetworkingtosurvive.org/A.N.T.S.html)

I was going to ask who here ran with the ant concept, but it appears to have been put online a scant month ahead of us, so a couple months before I came up with the ant logo concept for here as well.

Either way, what's everyone think of this network idea? I find it interesting and ambitious. If it works like the founder has in mind it might even be relatively safe.

GunnerMax
12-29-2011, 01:58 AM
Well opsec is something, but a trusted group is another. I would be in, because I live in a city, with no resources, but millions of shipping containers.

RedJohn
12-29-2011, 08:59 AM
I thought about it last year. I wanted to buy the shtfnetwork.com domain name, but the guy never sold it to me although he is not using it. Then I got sidetracked by life.

There was a concept done by one guy that belong to another board that I admin call Alarm and Muster (alarmandmuster.com) but at the last news it turned into shit due to internal wars.

eagle326
12-29-2011, 12:37 PM
I thought about it last year. I wanted to buy the shtfnetwork.com domain name, but the guy never sold it to me although he is not using it. Then I got sidetracked by life.

There was a concept done by one guy that belong to another board that I admin call Alarm and Muster (alarmandmuster.com) but at the last news it turned into shit due to internal wars.

It has become ( Liberty and Preparedness )
Some of the older guys kicked out the trouble makers and started the new site.

mitunnelrat
12-29-2011, 07:47 PM
I forgot about Alarm and Muster. That seemed like a good idea too. I can't remember why I never joined, but recall thinking I might. I'll have to check it out as Liberty and Preparedness when I can get fully online again.

Gunner, considering some of our past discussions I believe you might be right. This could be a good workable solution for you

Stg1swret
12-29-2011, 08:17 PM
It is workable if done properly. Opsec shouldn't be a real problem, if done properly.

Evolver
12-30-2011, 09:36 PM
I started up a local MAG (Mutual Assistance Group) in our county but we never got a whole lot of interest in it. The concept is great but you need the members.

Fatty
12-30-2011, 10:16 PM
I think the possible negatives outway the possible positives. I like the idea but i see way too much room for error/mishaps.

Evolver
12-31-2011, 12:53 AM
As for now I think we are all ANTS. We are all networking, collecting all the information thats we need and putting our prep's in order thats needed for our own situations. Having sites like this one to get/share info and ideas is great but what happens when the lights go out...complete loss of power? The way I see it is when SHTF we need to have a plan thats within are reaches (like within a tankful of gas range) so the closer the network group is the better. What I have tried in the past is to set up a 0-150 mile radius that's doable in a SHTF situation to cover our comfort zone but as of now it's still lacking... But working on it!

Fatty
12-31-2011, 01:25 AM
Out of curiosity. I know a few of the members here would be able to answer this one. What would be the best wave length/frequency for nationwide coverage assuming repeaters were still running on a vehicle mounted ham? Communication would be square 1 imo.

eagle326
12-31-2011, 01:28 AM
Everybody has some real good thoughts and ideas. Ants live in colonies ; We humans basically live on our own with inter- action when wanted or needed. This is where ants are superior to us.
If we could somehow set up small colonies with in distances to meet up in case SHTF we would have a better chance of survivability. But this would be no small task.It would have to be broken down into regions with comms. and a com center for each region. Then there's the caches to hold us over until all is up and running and much more that we would need.

Each ant would have to meet in a stated area to form colony and then communicate with other colonies. It can be done but I'm no whiz at this stuff compared to most on here. hope someone here figures it out.

izzyscout21
12-31-2011, 03:05 PM
I like the concept a lot.I like the idea of a network of folks coming together to help out or survive if necessary. Oh, wait..... I thought that was what this place was......

eagle326
12-31-2011, 04:11 PM
I like the concept a lot.I like the idea of a network of folks coming together to help out or survive if necessary. Oh, wait..... I thought that was what this place was......

You're right Izzy. Sorry if I put out there in the wrong way.I guess what I was trying to say is that most of us don't have a working group to get together in case of emergency. Or a way to link up with others in other states so as to strengthen the colony.
Again ; sorry if I'm behind the curve on thinking here.

GunnerMax
12-31-2011, 06:17 PM
id love to be in a Mid-east coastal USA link group. I can link with: Tenn, Kentucky, WV, VA, NC SC Maryland DC, and those surrounding VA. I just HATE being in a pisspoor apartment and wish my wife and I had somewhere to go if/when the SHTF. Time will let us get a better place. We are looking for a home now :)

izzyscout21
12-31-2011, 06:36 PM
You're right Izzy. Sorry if I put out there in the wrong way.I guess what I was trying to say is that most of us don't have a working group to get together in case of emergency. Or a way to link up with others in other states so as to strengthen the colony.
Again ; sorry if I'm behind the curve on thinking here.

No offense intended, Eagle. Just my way of thinking.

Let me expand a little.

The way I see it, we as a group here already have something like that going on a small scale. I don't know that there is any member here, that if the chips were down, would not rush to the aid of another. Take for example, earlier this year in my area, we had a horrible ice storm. Power was out, roads were horrid, etc etc. I can tell you without any hesitation that the FIRST person to call and check on me and my family was Bacpacker. All he asked was, are you guys ok? Do you need anything? How can I help?
I got several more PM's, texts, and phone calls from a few other members here.

To reiterate, the first people to call and offer aid were members here. Not MY family. Not my wife's family. Not our church friends. But people here, on the site. Folks who some of which had never seen me face to face or had been otherwise introduced previously, but folks who were within a 100 mile radius and just knew I was in the affected area.

That's what it's all about. If that isn't a network, well, I don't know what is.

eagle326
12-31-2011, 07:08 PM
Izzy I took no offense from your reply. I thought maybe I offended you. There are times when this old brain doesn't write down my thoughts the way I'm thinking. You are totally correct in your reply. The members here are more about the welfare of fellow members than I've seen on other sites.

Maybe the best way to put it is the longer we go as a group the better and more advanced we become in helping each other in times of need. or as I was told a few times , K.I.S.S. I believe we'll grow into that larger ant colony as we progress thru time.
Thanks for your understanding and example.

bacpacker
01-01-2012, 12:35 AM
Out of curiosity. I know a few of the members here would be able to answer this one. What would be the best wave length/frequency for nationwide coverage assuming repeaters were still running on a vehicle mounted ham? Communication would be square 1 imo.

The best nationwide bands for normal, non high gain antennas, non amplified comms would be found on the 20 and 40 meter ham bands. These bands don't use repeaters, they are direct station to station. Antennas could be as simple as a wire cut the match the frequencies you want to work. A battery or power supply, a tuner, and a transceiver is about all you need. The radio could be set up in the house or in the vehicle. The vehicle would take a much more specific antenna than your home station.

I have to agree with Izzy and Eagle, this sites members are great at looking out for each other. If things got bad I think folks from here would do what they could to help out another member in need. Back in July i had to make a trip to Michigan to pick up the wife and her mother to bring back to Tn. Lunchbox was gracious enough to meet up with me on my trip north. Great chance to put a face with a name, but I have no doubt he would have helped me out should I have needed something.

Gunfixr
01-02-2012, 12:24 AM
Everybody has some real good thoughts and ideas. Ants live in colonies ; We humans basically live on our own with inter- action when wanted or needed. This is where ants are superior to us.
If we could somehow set up small colonies with in distances to meet up in case SHTF we would have a better chance of survivability. But this would be no small task.It would have to be broken down into regions with comms. and a com center for each region. Then there's the caches to hold us over until all is up and running and much more that we would need.

Each ant would have to meet in a stated area to form colony and then communicate with other colonies. It can be done but I'm no whiz at this stuff compared to most on here. hope someone here figures it out.

Actually, humans are social beings, and require other humans around, or they go batshit. The problem with forming a community like this is getting the trust you need each other to have. All of the great attributes and mindset we have is also our biggest hindrance. We are so focused on carrying the load ourselves, because we won't rely on the help of others that we expect will fail to show. Thus, although we see this same mindset in others, we refuse to open that line of trust, without getting to really know them.
I'm sure that some here already have that trust, which is good. Many will be forced to acquire this trust later, under great stress. Such trust is uneasy, and longer to become the easy trust earned without the stress.

BTW Gunner: I live in Va, right here on the peninsula, across from Norfolk. If you know Va, this will narrow me down to a few towns, and you will know how close you are to me. I do have a house, but the neighborhood seems to have downturned lately. After my wifes' car being hit last Oct, then the house hit a week and a half later, two days ago, we discovered some gas has been "borrowed" from one of the cars.

GunnerMax
01-02-2012, 01:08 AM
Gun, close to me. Very close. We will have to meet up next summer!

About the crime: the neighbors know I have and carry guns ALL the time. They know I OC and sometimes "open" carry concealed. They just stare and stay quiet. Nobody bothers me. I think they are scared of me, I really do. Especially when I can walk around VA with a loaded shotgun. You should have seen the looks I got when I nonchalantly walked outside and to the truck carrying my 12 gauge. Lol

Gunfixr
01-02-2012, 01:27 AM
Folks in this neighborhood know we have guns too. I think that's why they're doing what they do, hitting the car in the night, the house lat moring after everybody has taken off.

Shoot me a pm sometime, whenever you're ready. I am always off sun and mon, but can get other days, as I'm basically self-employed. I do have a couple like-minded friends.