PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye 2011

The Stig
12-31-2011, 10:23 PM
Wow...what a year.

What lessons did you learn this year?

My year was pretty busy. Moved the family across the country and tackled a new position at work. Both very exhausting and tiring in different ways. Trying to sell a house in the midst of a housing collapse was a hoot but fortunately we had been prudent and had a boatload of equity (that we ultimately lost but that's what needed to happen to get the deal done). Being away from the family for 6 weeks, making the 750 mile trip 6 different times, and generally being on my own in a "new" place were all different experiences.

Watched one website collapse while helping getting another up and running. Never been a part of that before (thanks RJ!) and it's been a heck of a ride. I was pissed at first to see my "web-home" go to shit but now I couldn't be happier that it did. shtfready.com is an awesome place to be. I'm really proud about what the staff and membership have been able to accomplish in such a short period of time.

From the prepping side I spent a lot of time reorganizing gear both as part of the move and afterwards. Completely reworked our emergency supplies to accommodate a different approach. From the weapons side I took two training classes, one carbine the other part carbine/part shotgun. Also spent a lot of time (and money) weeding the chaff out of the gun collection and focusing on quality components.

I guess the biggest lesson I learned this year was prioritize what has to happen now to accomplish some other goal down the road. Also, don't forget the family in the midst of all the chaos. Sometimes, no matter how many things you need to get done, spending 15 minutes playing with the kid is priceless.

Anyway....hope you all have a safe and wonderful new years eve.

eagle326
12-31-2011, 10:45 PM
Realized that I don't move as fast as I used to but learned to work in such a way to compensate. Prioritized projects such as buying; stocking ; saving ; building; weapons learning ; family . Helping plan and devise set up for Army brother with land in case of collapse. Enlarging weapons and ammo stockpile . All of these were a lesson in bringing things into an orderly program to lessen time spent doing them. Not to mention finding this site and the massive amount of information available and quality members.

May all of you have a happy and safe new year.

bacpacker
01-01-2012, 01:32 AM
Great post guys! It's been a wild year at our place. After a good winter and early spring, we got hammered by the worst hail storm I have ever encountered. Tornados were close by and luckily missed us, although 8 folks were killed in our state and many many more in Alabama. We were lucky. Spent a large part of the next 6 months getting our house and camper repaired and back to normal. This turned out to be a blessing. We now have a renewed exterior on our 17 year old house.
In July we moved my MIL in with us. She has Altzheimers and had been living in Michigan with another of my wife sisters. Learning to deal with her on a daily basis has been eye opening to say the least. We have lived alone for our entire time together so that in itself has been a huge challenge.

I am thankful for the family I have found here. A great group of folks who I am proud to know.

GunnerMax
01-01-2012, 02:25 AM
From buying my first gun in October to now, I have learned a lot and just starting on my prepping. Overall a good 2 months (since the start of it all)

Twitchy
01-01-2012, 02:54 AM
From the beginning of 2011, when my home site died and went to the 7th layer of hell after new ownership, I had created my own site... it went well and is still marginally okay even after i sold it back in july... it was a new experience. I love my new home, SHTF Ready! Great site and I enjoy every minute here...

Cheers! To a great 2012 now!

LUNCHBOX
01-01-2012, 05:05 AM
Not real sure where one starts about this past year. Weather=crap...Jobs=crap..Prices=crap. Me and my immediate family have been lucky for the most part. Got some good preps going now, made a few new friends around here. Got alot of our gear prioritized for use. Requested to come here from another site (most of us know it) never looked back on that move (Thanks GB-69) I have got a few good ideas from here and hope to have given the same.

Hopefully 2012 comes and goes after being better to us all than 2011 was.

RedJohn
01-01-2012, 06:51 PM
Yeah, goodbye 2011 and good riddance. Now, for everybody that wished me a happy new year last year please don't do the same this year. Except for the birth of this site, last year was a very bad year. However it was not the last one so in a way it was not that bad. I did meet a bunch of real good people here and that makes up for the rest.

mitunnelrat
01-01-2012, 10:22 PM
2011 was something of a banner year for me. Prepping was scattered and inconsistent, but I got out more using what I did have, though only half as much as I could have, and plan on getting way more in next year. I learned a bit of what was working and what wasn't.

I had an amazing experience working to recover a disaster area, and doing that is now in my blood. Domestic operations only though, I think. You won't see me heading for Haiti.

I fell off my fitness program, and gained weight back I worked hard to lose, and was smoking too much again. I already quit smoking, and the fitness plan is kicking in asap. I need to get my equipment out of storage and dust off the book of meal plans.

Those are my goals. I'm still on a "doing" kick. I'd much rather say "here's what I've done" over "here's what I have."

thank you, that is all.

Twitchy
01-03-2012, 01:24 AM
since we are now in 2012, well, heres the explanation for 2012!!!

http://garrett.velecore.com/1853-64-82-193/23cgz8.png

bacpacker
01-03-2012, 01:33 AM
Good One Vert !

izzyscout21
01-03-2012, 01:31 PM
Last year was a nightmare. Hopefully this year will be better.

Sniper-T
01-03-2012, 02:40 PM
Every day is as good or as bad as you make it.

Life is a learning experience!

I embrace each day as the gift that it is, and make the best out of it, come what may!

Grumpy Old Man
01-03-2012, 05:01 PM
Last year was a year like any other year for me. Some good , some bad and some just mediocre. After 3 years we finally had a tuna season, but opening day for trout up in Mammoth Lake was just okay. Our company managed to stay afloat for another year and we even got a big contract with a railroad. I spent this year reviewing what I have, what I need and what I don't need. That's gonna be one helluva garage sale!

And I came across a colony of like-minded ants that I immediately befriended- to my great benefit. All in all, another good trip around Old Sol. But then, any day I wake up breathing and can pull on my Fruit-of-the-Looms I consider to be a good day.

Now on to the next important topic-What are we having for lunch?

msomnipotent
01-03-2012, 05:08 PM
I learned that my extended family reacts even worse than I expected in stressful situations. I also learned that my mother is very anti-prepper. I STILL cannot believe the things that came out of her stupid mouth! I found out that I really need to get more organized, and having 25 jars of gravy that is about to expire and no meat is a bad thing. After watching a survival show, I learned that I was not using a fire steel correctly. Now I need to retrain my daughter once it is warm enough outside.

Sniper-T
01-03-2012, 05:28 PM
... After watching a survival show, I learned that I was not using a fire steel correctly..

Can you start a fire with it? Just because you use it differently, doesn't mean it is wrong!

diversity is good. I personally know 6 completely different and seperate ways to put on my socks, just in case one fails for whatever reason.

:)

Grumpy Old Man
01-03-2012, 06:35 PM
I found out that I really need to get more organized, and having 25 jars of gravy that is about to expire and no meat is a bad thing.

"Now on to the next important topic-What are we having for lunch?"

Does that mean if I bring the roast beast we'll have hot roast beast sandwiches?

Sniper-T
01-03-2012, 06:39 PM
mmmm... I love roast BEAST sandwiches! I'm in!

izzyscout21
01-03-2012, 06:43 PM
mmmm... I love roast BEAST sandwiches! I'm in!

msomnipotent
01-04-2012, 05:11 PM
Can you start a fire with it? Just because you use it differently, doesn't mean it is wrong!

diversity is good. I personally know 6 completely different and seperate ways to put on my socks, just in case one fails for whatever reason.

:)

Yes, I started a fire with Vasoline and cotton balls. At least I know why the twigs didn't light. I didn't know to chip off some chunks of magnesium first. I think it will be much easier now! I guess I'm just used to my husband's way of thinking. There is only one way of doing things correctly, like folding his underwear the proper way. Too bad it isn't the way I fold underwear.

Mmmmm. Beast. It's whats for dinner.