PDA

View Full Version : Transportation and You

Stg1swret
01-03-2012, 05:35 PM
While we all have thought of a BOV and alternate form of transport, motorcycle, bicycle, boat, horse, etc. , we really also need to think about how far we can reasonably walk in a day. Murphy's Law will rear its ugly head at the most in opertune time. While walking may not appeal to most of us as a means of traveling any great distance, it is an inevitability we may all face.

So how does one go about preparing for such an event. First one needs comfortable and broken in footwear. Blisters are no fun. Next one needs a good fitting pack and the ability to carry a reasonable load. Start with a light load and a short distance and work your way up. I normally do 2 miles every other day with 20 pounds in the pack. It will help build stamina, and you will also lose some weight along the way. Increase the weight and distance after you can comfortably go the initial distance without getting winded.

My ultimate goal is 20 miles per day with a full pack, which will be about 70 -80 pounds.

realist
01-03-2012, 06:11 PM
Making the 20 miles a day is not a problem unless you have a family. This is one of the areas that I am lacking. I would think that we could make 10 miles the first day and go down from there. My wife was depressed after getting on the scale this morning so maybe now is a good time for both of us. We can start slow and see where it goes. I never get depressed about the scale.......just afraid.

bacpacker
01-04-2012, 01:31 AM
Good idea Sgt. Walking is THE most reliable transportation there is. Having good footwear is essintial and your ability to carry a load for a distance could well save your life. Haveing a proper fitting pack for your body style. It's rare to find two folks who has the same frame. It is highly important to find the one that fits you best and get it adjusted for the best fit possible.

izzyscout21
01-04-2012, 02:46 PM
I don't want to walk unless i have to. That said, I try to get out and do some as often as I can.

realist
01-04-2012, 03:04 PM
Bacpacker good boots are a must, there is nothing worse than a blisters. The problem is people go out and buy good boots and they find they are too heavy then they don't wear them. I try to break mine in by wearing them everyday for work until they are broken. As for the pack I did not realize just how important it was to have a pack fitted until my son went into Boy Scouts, it is a must.

msomnipotent
01-04-2012, 04:51 PM
In my area, the possibility of having to bug out on foot or bike is kind of remote but I still consider it carefully. I got new bike tires for Christmas and will replace my husband's tires before spring comes. We kept our daughter's wagon, bike buggy thingy, and this unicycle-like thing we can attach to one of our bikes and have our daughter ride along. She is still using training wheels, so we will not get far until she learns to ride without them unless we use the attachment thing.

I am pretty concerned about having to walk to a relative's house if something happens. Our relatives are either close enough to be impacted by the same problem or too far to carry enough food and supplies to last us. I also worry about having quality shoes for my daughter. They don't make them like they used to, and even if they did we probably couldn't afford them. Gym shoes will have to do for her and me until we can afford better. And it would help if she didn't grow every time I bought something for her.

realist
01-05-2012, 02:13 PM
I'm am not worried about leaving my home, I am worried about getting home when I am away. It is for this reason that I carry a large amount equipment to get home. If we have a major earthquake in our are it would be nothing to drop a major bridge and be stuck in gridlock that we could not get out of without walking. Obviously the last thing that I would want to do is abandon my truck but it may happen and has to be planned for...........

bacpacker
01-06-2012, 01:38 AM
Walking home is one of the things I have planned for. I have a GHB, boots, water, gloves in all our vehicles. I may not be comfortable, but I should be able to get home in a couple days from work.

ladyhk13
01-06-2012, 05:11 AM
We are hardly ever more than one hour or so away from home and that is only on occaision. We are almost always at home and planning on bugging in so my real concern is more if we had to hide out in the woods or something. That's where a good pair of boots would come into play for me but since I wear a size 4 it's been almost impossible to find a pair that fits well and is made like "a man's" pair instead of a child's. Roaming for a long period would be a problem with an ill fitting boots.

bacpacker
01-06-2012, 01:16 PM
Lady my wife has a hard time finding boots as well. She wears a 5 in most shoes or little kids stuff. I got her a pair of Vasque Sundowner hiking boots years ago and she has had no problems with them. She does wear 2 pair of socks (one heavy) and her scrip orthodics in a size 6. They have held up well and we actually found another pai last year on closeout at half price. Needless to say sheKll never need another pair.

You will have to find them in backpacking or sporting goods stores or order on line. Vasque also makes some non leather boots that are just abbout as nice and much lighter. I would reommend getting a model with the goretex sock built in. Don't have to worry about wet feet then.
Good luck in the search i know they are a pain to locate.

izzyscout21
01-06-2012, 02:05 PM
I've always had a hard time finding footwear that fit well.

For the time being, I have 4 pairs of boots that work well fo me.

Currently, I have Merrill Moabs and a pair of Merrill Sawtooths. These are some of the best hiking boots I've ever had.

I have a pair of Danner Ft. Lewis boots with Goretex and Thinsulate for cold weather activities.

As I sit here, I'm rocking the pair of Oakley SI assault boots that have been around for about 5 years now. I must have gotten the oddball from the factory, as these did not fall apart the first year I had them. Bought them while deployed and have had them since. They're like Reebok for urban warfare.......... soooooooooooo comfy.