PDA

View Full Version : Just a ZH PSA

Zombiehuntereky
03-23-2011, 03:23 AM
While at work today I walk into the waiting room to grab a cup of Joe and noticed a man in a wheelchair wearing a Vietnam Vet hat and a 25th ID Pin on it. Being a former member of the Electric Strawberry I ask what unit he was in while he was in the Division. He responded he was in the Cav unit that is still part of the unit. Turns out he was one of the volunteers that went over before the unit went. At that time there were a large demand for doorgunners and this is the second time I have met one of them. He asked my Unit and I responded 1-27th Infantry. Ah he says a Wolfhound. Good unit there. To make a long story short. Remember if you see a vet to thank them for their service. His face lit up when I asked about the Division. It made me proud of those who shaped my unit before I was even born and it was an honor to speak to someone who gave so much but asked for so little.

We Strike like Tropic Lighting! (Division Motto and his parting words to me.)

bacpacker
03-23-2011, 08:51 PM
Zh, Thanks for your service and thank you for talkin with him, I know he was happy to talk to you.
My dad wa KIA in 1966. He was with in the 1st/5th 25th inf. He also went over in 65 as a door gunner on what was called the shotgun flights, which from what I've been able to find out they were basically scouting out things for the rest of the division to follow.
Once the divison was in country in Jan 66, my dads platoon was based in CuChi which is just outside Siagon close to the Michelin Plantation and worked extensivley in the hobo woods. There was a lot of contact with the VC in a massive tunnel complex in the area. The unit, and probably most of the Division, was subjected to spraying of Agent Orange and several other chemical defoliants.
I have had the prevledge to meet and get to know several guys who were in my dad's platton. I was even invited to a couple of their reunion's. One of them was his best freind that went thru basic together. Another was his platoon Sgt. Sulley was actually able to fill in the blanks on what happened to my dad. He even gave me a copy of the AAR's from the time there.
What a great bunch of guys they are, although to a man they are all on permanant diability, at least the ones that hasn't passed yet, from the results of the Agent Orange. Most of them from various lung disease's and several from extremely bad skin ailments. Most of the one's that had kids when they got back found their children had many health issues ranging from Severe Downs syndrome to genetic problems to respritory problems. What a shame all this is on these folks. I know they were not the only unit over there that has went thru all this crap and it's a damn shame.

izzyscout21
03-24-2011, 07:58 PM
What a small world it is. I was 1-5 INF, 1-25th myself.

RedJohn
03-24-2011, 08:22 PM
Yeah, really.

izzyscout21
03-26-2011, 02:24 AM
I find it amazing how you can be in a random place and still find an old vet that you have some form of connection to. For instance, my Regimental Sergeant Major was my dad's rappel master in Air Assault School. The military really is a small world

LUNCHBOX
04-27-2011, 06:25 AM
If we are opening the 25th ID window......4/87th Inf. myself early 90's (Hawaii) It is a good feeling to see some of the older generations still out there.