PDA

View Full Version : Bought the coolest thing yesterday

nepreneaux
01-09-2012, 12:56 PM
I built a forge, very cool. Anyway, while I was on a road trip yesterday, I stopped in the town of Salado to eat and let my wife take a picture of the worlds largest wind chime, it was big but I am sure it is not the biggest, anyway, there was a bunch of crap pouring out of this barn on down the road, and a sign said for sale. I stopped asked what was for sale. The lady said everything. So I am looking and in the back sat a 125 year old anvil. 205 pounds. She said her great great grandfather was a swedish blacksmith and brought it over from there. I got it for a mere 25 bucks! Can't wait to hammer some shit on this.

bacpacker
01-09-2012, 01:34 PM
Good find. I've been looking at anvils around here. Best price i found so far, $300 for a 75 lb.
Care to share your plans on the forge build? I'd love to see pics.

realist
01-09-2012, 01:41 PM
Ditto here. Nice find. The only thing that I have right now is a piece of old rail road track, a poor substitute.

Sniper-T
01-09-2012, 02:50 PM
NICE!!!

you do know that they were designed for pounding steel on though right? I don't see the benefit of what you're planning, but to each their own!
:rolleyes:

Good Score!

Grumpy Old Man
01-09-2012, 04:55 PM
Sniper, how did I know you were going to be a wise ass?;) Seriously though, that is a darned good find!!!! My 125 lb came from NC Tools Farrier supply and cost 15x as much.

Sniper-T
01-09-2012, 05:01 PM
^

I have no idea what you mean Grumpy...

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn3/_Streamline_/smilies/halo.gif

Brownwater Riverrat 13
01-09-2012, 08:20 PM
Begining to think you guys are retired? (Sniper and Grumpy) anyway great find, man you got to grab it while you can. Ya never know what you're gonna find around the next corner. Useful things, yes, useful things............worked for the Coyote didn't it?

Be safe........the night is your friend

Grumpy Old Man
01-09-2012, 08:47 PM
BWRR13, I'm not retired, but I am the GM at a concrete block company. So by and large I have time to drop in and see what is going on more than most folks. On the flip side I am the one who gets the 3:00 a.m. phone calls from the authorities, the night watchman, the early shift, etc. Oh and I get to do any weekend stuff because I am a bargain before 8 a.m., after 5 p.m. and all weekend long! Lol. Rank has its privileges, but it has its drawbacks too.

BTW, there is an antique store in Hemet that I go to just for the old tools. And there are several great old antique shops up in Randsburg that I stop in whenever I am up that way for the same reason. I guess I'm kind of like my maternal grandfather- the family joke was that he always came back from the dump with more than he took there.;)

Sniper-T
01-09-2012, 09:12 PM
I'm not retired either, but do spend most of my day sitting at a computer. I leave the page open and when I have a minute or three, hit refresh.

yeah... I'm an addict

nepreneaux
01-10-2012, 05:48 AM
I watched a bunch of youtube vids on the subject. It was pretty simple. I have a cutting rig and a crackerbox so I built mine from steel diamond plate. There is a supplier about 15 miles from me so I went and bought a sheet, cut it out, welded it together and viola! I was making charcoal for it, but there is also a coal fired plant down the road that was just built. A friend of mine works there and brought me some sort of low grade coke that really works well in it. I was going to make knives and other crap but so far I have succeeded in making only a massive mess.

Sniper-T
01-10-2012, 10:53 AM
Looking forward to following your progress

The Stig
01-10-2012, 11:35 AM
I honestly have no idea why, but I'm fascinated by this. Can't wait to hear the updates on how it's working out, your creations, etc.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
01-10-2012, 01:49 PM
I don't hang on the computer as much as I used to, doesn't make sense. So I try to hit the site as often as possible, good intell, great people, the wife enjoys it. She gains alot from itmas well. At least she's onboard with it. I read alot about divided households on the subject of preppin. OK back on track, I'm retired (blessing or a curse)and I somehow find myself busy, hmmmmm? But how many things can you do with an anvil? (No offense but)

1. Make horse shoes
2. knives, axes, shovels, and other implements of destruction
3. Kill Coyotes
4. Boat anchor
5. truck anchor (for your winch) incase you get stuck in the desert
6. Midevil armor fabrication?
7. fixin farm tools (or is that a #2 repeat)
8. kill road runners (repeat of #3)
9. yard ornament
10. Oh yeah, body disposal anchor. But that's a one time use so it's not practical so scratch that one.

OK but you can bang on it instead of beatin the crap out any of your good stuff and it won't dent. Realisticly, when you fabricate alot of metal stuff like I have had to do in the past as I'm sure I'll have to do in the furure. You have to have one, How's that? But I would have bought it for $25 too!

Be safe.................the night is your friend

Evolver
01-11-2012, 12:41 AM
I built a forge, very cool. Anyway, while I was on a road trip yesterday, I stopped in the town of Salado to eat and let my wife take a picture of the worlds largest wind chime, it was big but I am sure it is not the biggest, anyway, there was a bunch of crap pouring out of this barn on down the road, and a sign said for sale. I stopped asked what was for sale. The lady said everything. So I am looking and in the back sat a 125 year old anvil. 205 pounds. She said her great great grandfather was a swedish blacksmith and brought it over from there. I got it for a mere 25 bucks! Can't wait to hammer some shit on this.

Very cool! Dang can you even fathom what stories that thing could tell? I bet that baby sings when you pound on it!

izzyscout21
01-13-2012, 04:17 AM
I want something I can hit with no consequences...........

nepreneaux
02-06-2012, 12:32 PM
found and bought an old hand cranked blower for my forge. The guy rebuilt it and it blows a lot of air. Now my forge is complete and energy independent.

The Stig
02-06-2012, 12:34 PM
Very cool man.

Any chance you can hook us up with some pictures?