PDA

View Full Version : The "Survival Drive"

GunRunner
03-23-2011, 01:29 PM
Something every survivalist should have in my opinion. Basically, you take a "Jump" or "Thumb" Drive (Those little memory drives you plug into your computer, they range in size from 1g and up I believe now.). Scan all your important documents, load them onto the drive, and throw it in your BOB. SHTF might be completely localized to you, where you don't have time to throw your important paperwork in the car/bag. This way you can have it neatly tucked inside a little electronic wonder the size of a pack of gum (or less!). When you reach a non afflicted area, you can reprint out what documents you need (Insurance, copies of licenses, birth certificates, the skys the limit). On mine I keep mine and my families birth certificates, my drives license (and various other licenses), my social security card, ect. Id go the extra step of putting it in a ziplock before storing it away in your pack (unless you have one of the hard core waterproof models) that way if your BOB gets wet it doesnt kill your little gizmo.

bacpacker
03-23-2011, 04:03 PM
They go all the way to 128gb now, basically a small hard drive. This is an excellent idea. In addition to waterproofing I would suggest containing it in something emp proof as well. I haven't figured out yet how best to do that.

TEOTWAWKI13
03-23-2011, 04:28 PM
Wrap in aluminum foil, inside an altoid can, inside more aluminum foil. Beyond that, I don't know any suggestions.

RedJohn
03-23-2011, 05:12 PM
I have all mine on both a Kingston Technology Company - Flash Memory - DataTraveler Vault - Privacy Edition (http://www.kingston.com/flash/DTVaultPrivacy.asp) and a secure remote Black Data Server that I can access all over the world.

gunbuilder69
04-27-2011, 12:54 AM
Way to go GR! I picked that trick up from a guy who was tilted out of whack by katrina. He outlined how when he got to houston(from NOLA) he had essentially no way to prove:
Who he was
His education
certifications
experience
ownership of belongings(for insurance and claims reasons)
And so much more. This is a subject near and dear to my heart,being a retired Military and having to draw upon benefits and all. I am also keeping my Education,certifications and pdf's and photo's on a 8g thmb drive,I reccommend this to students in ALL of my classes.

bacpacker
04-27-2011, 01:57 AM
This thread is absolutly an important topic. I have a friend who is an IT guy. he uses thumb drives a lot. based on his recommendation I am putting my stuff on multiple drives and spreading them around, both mine and the wife's GHB, BOB, & a couple of ammo cans that will be along in a BO. I would also suggest leaving one with a close friend or family member that's not located near to you.
Also for the BOB and GHB I am using a small dry bah used for electronics when kayaking.

LUNCHBOX
04-27-2011, 06:18 AM
This is a very good idea since you don't need the internet to use it. I have three with the same info on each....pics, copies of documents, survival info, contacts/maps. (you get the idea) You can put anything you think might be of use to you. I would even recommend you put one in a hidey-hole in your bug out location.

ak474u
05-02-2011, 05:39 PM
I just use a cd-rom that is re-done and the old one destroyed every 6 months, I only keep them in the vehicles (locked in a safe) I do wanna do a USB stick in the near future, I always figured a USB stick would be vulnerable to EMP etc. I just somehow killed my cd burner, so USB it is from now on.

RedJohn
05-02-2011, 06:14 PM
If we suffer a global EMP attack, then it does not matter. Nothing will stand to read any computer format. Hell, even windows won't exist anymore.

izzyscout21
07-26-2012, 01:53 PM
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a198/JermCool/necropost.jpg

Zombiepost rises.............

thought it might be good to take another look.

Izzy

Taz Baby
07-27-2012, 03:15 AM
what

ladyhk13
07-27-2012, 04:01 AM
We really need to do this. Luckily we have family in Nevada, Florida and New York so we could send one to each family member and they would be spread out to each section of the country.

Echo2
07-27-2012, 10:43 AM
Keep you e devices in a microwave....unplugged of course....and have it grounded.....all a microwave is.....is a reverse Faraday Cage.