PDA

View Full Version : Oven element

Sniper-T
01-10-2012, 03:10 PM
So, I get dinner all ready to go (swiss steak with venison), preheat the oven, and just as I pop the door to get it cooking, I see my element burning out. I shut it off quick, but it is done. :(

Made dinner stovetop instead.

It's easy enough to pick up a replacement, and swap it out... for now! But SHTF, they may not be available, or getting to the store may not be possible.

Is there any way to repair them? Are they interchangeable (assuming it physically fits in the door?

does anyone stock extras

helomech
01-10-2012, 03:36 PM
I don't think it would matter after shtf, I think electricty will be out. But as far as I know they are not repairable. Not sure what kind of metal they are made of.

The Expendable
01-10-2012, 07:13 PM
Oh yeah, no electricity. Besides, in all my years of life I have never had one go out. It's not something I would worry about.

Sniper-T
01-10-2012, 07:18 PM
That's the third one in that oven in the last 5 years. Prior to this stove I had one other in 25+ years

If the SHTF event is like a Pandemic, there could be power for months and months after societal collapse.

solar/wind --> batteries --> Inverter = power

helomech
01-10-2012, 07:41 PM
Then there is something else wrong with the stove causing them to fail. I would guess any metal that you could bend around and weld to the existing parts would work. All it is, is a direct short.

The Expendable
01-10-2012, 07:54 PM
Yeah, I'd say time to get a new stove.

Sniper-T
01-10-2012, 09:13 PM
Shhhhhhhh!!

Quiet!

Dont let my wife hear that kind of talk!

Jeez!

bacpacker
01-11-2012, 12:56 AM
What brand of stove is it? I have heard of some of them having an issue that continually burned out the ovens. Right off I don't remember what the problem was.
Oven elements are not that large so it wouldn't be that hard to store 2-3 of them.

Sniper-T
01-11-2012, 03:17 AM
^
that's what I'm thinking.

and it is a Moffat. From everything I know, it is an 1989

Everything else works perfectly

Even though she does 5% of the cooking, my wife would like me to buy a double oven, 6 burner stove. Although I think that would be the cat's ass. I really don't want to rip out my cupboards, to fit it in. And of course... The fridge wont match colours anymore, so it needs to be replaced....

blah blah blah...

$4000 for a stove and $3000 for a fridge... or $15.00 for an element.

hmm

toughie!

ravensgrove
01-15-2012, 05:01 AM
The stove is over 20 years old...its is probably also highly inefficient...the likelihood the only stove you can possibly buy is $4000 is ZERO. I'd say get a new, economical, WORKING, stove. If the stove has some electrical issue making it burn out the element what's to say it isn't going to burn your house down? Replacing an element that many times is just not right...something else is wrong with the stove.

Time for a new stove.

Sniper-T
01-15-2012, 05:09 AM
Now that ^ my dear lady... is what I am worried I'm worried about!!!

I have replaced the element, and done some wish-shopping. Man! these things are pricy!

sigh!

Optimist
01-15-2012, 03:28 PM
Your element is one of the calrod bar-elements, isn't it? If it's one of the old wire-type like you see in the toasters and toaster ovens you can wind replacements out of stainless steel wire welder wire (it's called ni-chrome, but it is basically stainless). I've had to do this a couple of times for the pottery kiln, and stainless steel welder wire is a sight cheaper than ordering a replacement element from the kiln manufacturer.

As to the electric going away when the brown and gooey hits the fan blades, I am set up to generate my own, and most of you ought to be able to figure out a way to do that yourselves. PM me if you want to explore possibilities.