PDA

View Full Version : My next mock BO

mitunnelrat
01-13-2012, 02:37 AM
I haven't gotten out on one of these since last spring, and I'm figuring I'm well overdue, so I'm tentatively planning for an outing next month. This time I'm thinking about doing something more (relatively speaking) realistic, and adding in a long - very long - road march/ overland hike. Running, Running Maps and Running Routes, Runners Community | MapMyRUN (http://www.mapmyrun.com) tells me my projected route is 28.23 miles long. The first half will be along dirt roads, which (assuming it snows by then, it hasn't here yet) may or may not be well plowed.

From there I'm looking to move 2-3 miles overland across a large state game area I'm more or less familiar with. Most of that will be on well defined, flat trails, with a stretch roughly one half to one mile long through some rugged terrain to reach my next roadway. I'll be traversing a series of gullies and ridges to get through that. I've never been through that section yet, but know there's an adjoining private property enclosed with a chain link fence. I'll have little to no chance of getting lost if I just follow that.

My next section of roadway is paved, but very hilly, and full of curves. I actually think it'll be the most dangerous portion of my walk since it'll have the heaviest traffic, and oncoming vehicles will have reduced visibility here. Luckily I only have about a mile of that, and I'm back on dirt roads, excepting six of my final 7 miles, where I'll be back on hardball.

Its going to be an ass kicker.

I'm not sure if I'll be able to camp out on that state game area or not, I think its closed to camping and/ or open fires. Either way I'm planning to RON (remain over night) outside "somewhere" for this trip, and complete the second half of the walk on the second day. So, with that in mind, I'm once again offering up my time to do field tests and reviews for the membership here. If the weight penalty isn't too great, or the action too extreme, I'll go for it, just have to let me know what you'd like to see.

I'll post up a proposed load out asap, but can already tell you I'll be trying Mainstay bars for the first time this trip, and I'm thinking about making some trades for a Henry Survival Rifle as a BOB gun. My review will otherwise be pretty standard fare: shelter type, fire making, etc.

I'm dreading and looking forward to this all at the same time.

izzyscout21
01-13-2012, 03:04 AM
sounds good, brother. I always enjoy your AAR's

mitunnelrat
01-13-2012, 04:01 AM
Thanks izzy!

I have a feeling the finish date for the promo vid will come up before I do this, but if not I should have some more pics for you to work with.

izzyscout21
01-13-2012, 04:08 AM
well, we shall see. If I can't get wild blue to cooperate with upload and download speeds, it may get pushed back. right now, they say I use too much bandwidth. I saw, theyre full o crap.

The Stig
01-13-2012, 09:38 AM
Folks, if you have the time check out MIs past adventures in previous threads. All excellent info and highly recommended.

Also take MI up on his offer to try things out in the field. It's an excellent opportunity to try things out in real world situations. If you cant test something out yourself take MI up on his generous offer.

Sniper-T
01-13-2012, 11:40 AM
Sounds like fun!

Enjoy

mitunnelrat
01-13-2012, 07:51 PM
It usually is. I'm hoping the hike doesn't suck the life out of the camping part though. lol

My goal is to do something like this at least once every 3 months. I'll hit each of the seasons here that way, and be able to continually refine my kit as I go along. I only got two in last year, but really only missed one because I went to Joplin instead this summer. I learned a lot on that trip. This time I'll do the hike, and I'll be pushing my physical and mental limits to some degree, since the weather, length of the walk, and ability to call in a safety net will all factor in. Next time? I don't know yet. I want to incorporate something relevant and demanding in every outing, so I'm doing more than camping.

And now, to toot my own horn and supply the threads The Stig referenced:
http://www.shtfready.com/general-discussions/february-bug-out-exercise-aar-39.html
http://www.shtfready.com/general-discussions/june-bug-out-exercise-reviews-observations-307.html
http://www.shtfready.com/general-discussions/joplin-mo-relief-mission-482.html

bacpacker
01-14-2012, 02:23 AM
Sounds like a good hike Rat. I'll have to think about gear to test. You do a great job with that. AAR's are first rate.

mitunnelrat
01-15-2012, 02:39 AM
Thanks bp.

My mainstay bars came in today so I'll work on finishing the new load out for my pack tonight and get it posted tomorrow

LUNCHBOX
01-15-2012, 03:46 AM
MI, I can't answer about being able to stay in the state area but you might look for bridges on your route. I fish the river around my neck of the woods and have came across a few individuals camped/living there. Just an idea.

mitunnelrat
01-15-2012, 03:52 AM
Hmm, I'll have to remember that. Its good info, but the only bridge I have to cross is smack in the middle of that game area, and I still haven't determined if its open to camping or not. I'm going to visit or call the DNR field office to see what I can learn.

ladyhk13
01-15-2012, 03:54 AM
well, we shall see. If I can't get wild blue to cooperate with upload and download speeds, it may get pushed back. right now, they say I use too much bandwidth. I saw, theyre full o crap.

We've been having the same problem the last 2 weeks. Thing is running slow as crap! DH has been meaning to call and complain but either we have been in bed sick (one week it was him and then last week it was me so he had to wait on me hand and foot), then run errands to catch up with stuff....anyway have no idea what is going on with them! He's pissed. Seems like every company right now is doing something to "cut" back on either service or amount of what you get but not the price. Sign of what is in the future?

The Stig
01-15-2012, 01:46 PM
We've been having the same problem the last 2 weeks. Thing is running slow as crap! DH has been meaning to call and complain but either we have been in bed sick (one week it was him and then last week it was me so he had to wait on me hand and foot), then run errands to catch up with stuff....anyway have no idea what is going on with them! He's pissed. Seems like every company right now is doing something to "cut" back on either service or amount of what you get but not the price. Sign of what is in the future?

[thread hijack]

I think this is the wave of the future sadly. I've read in a few places, and talked with a few people, that internet providers are moving more to a model of limited bandwidth and throttling back download amounts for the big offenders such as kids downloading 59 movies a day or swapping 1000's of music files.

[/hijack]

izzyscout21
01-15-2012, 02:11 PM
[thread hijack]

I think this is the wave of the future sadly. I've read in a few places, and talked with a few people, that internet providers are moving more to a model of limited bandwidth and throttling back download amounts for the big offenders such as kids downloading 59 movies a day or swapping 1000's of music files.

[/hijack]

I called WIld BLue. Apparently is goes on a 30 day rolling average. You use too much..........kapow....slow as f***. The crappy part is, they dont reset your usage on the billing cycle. It's still remains lumped into the 30 day average. this sucks.

mitunnelrat
01-21-2012, 02:11 AM
Ok. I had to seriously revamp my plans on this to be able to do it. The logistics of walking 30 miles one direction would have required 120 miles of drive time by someone supporting me. That wasn't going to happen. My new plan is to start 15 miles closer so I can walk each way without requiring a support vehicle at all.

Because I'm now doing this through an urban area I took another look at the equipment I'm going to carry. My initial load would have attracted too much attention, so I totally revamped. Some good things happened from this. I'm now traveling with only my Maxpedition Fatboy and whatever I can fit in my pockets.

For those who don't know, this is going to create a major challenge. Building a fire and finding natural insulation for bedding will be of utmost importance because I won't have my sleeping bag, and in cold/ wet conditions such as this its much more difficult to do. There's a very real chance I could end up cancelling my overnight portion for safety reasons.

My loadout is still in progress, but following John D. McCann's method I can already tell you the following:

Food/ Water Collection-
2400 calorie pack of Mainstay bars
Hot cocoa packet
32 oz. Nalgene bottle
ss nalgene cup
coffee can nesting stove (made from a 1 pound coffee can)
10x water purification tablets

Shelter & Personal Protection-
USGI Poncho
Outdoor Products 5' x 7' backpacking tarp
Wool Cap & scarf, worn (if test of balaclava/ goggle combo fails. I wear glasses and they're useless in a ski mask, I hope the sports goggles fare better)
5 torso layers, worn (undershirt, polypro base layer, outer shirt, fleece jacket, and goretex outer jacket)
Gloves, worn, type tbd
polypro pants, worn
wool socks and winter boots, worn

Fire & Light-
Bic
MFS
PJ Cottonballs
Surefire 6P (pocket)
spare surefire batteries
Headlamp
spare headlamp batteries

Signaling/ Navigation-
emergency whistle
IR strobe light
signal mirror
Blackberry (communication, and GPS)
USGI lensatic compass
ball compass

Medical-
IFAK on tear off panel, I'll try to find the thread where I detailed the contents

Knives and Tools-
izzy's hacksaw knife (again, very cool of him)
Morris File Belter
Folding Saw (or pocket chainsaw again, I'm undecided)
Knife sharpener
maybe a hatchet

Multi-purpose items-
550 cord
thin brass wire
100 mph tape

Misc.-
tent pegs (gonna try to build a shelter without them, but may bend one up trying to anchor it ;)

If we get enough snow I'll break out the snowshoes. Didn't get new bindings though, so that may suck. I'll make sure to update as I go.

On a related note, working this got me looking at my entire emergency loadout again, and I saw some redundancy in the pack I'm assembling for this and the buttpack on my battle belt. Coupling that with izzy's thread on his line gear I'm once again revamping my own, further reducing weight and improving function. I'll have more on that later, but my belt is going to become a dedicated fighting load again, the versipack will hang freelyas a buttpack where the gp pouch was, and work as a complement to my main pack.

As I said, a lot of good has come from this. I'm rather pleased.

realist
01-21-2012, 06:35 PM
The problem with doing these in good times it that there are a bunch of people around unless you are in a real rural area. In a SHTF situation obviously you want to travel low key but armed and fully equipped if possibly. In normal times people get a little upset with people moving through their communities armed to the teeth on a mission. Support issues are a problem if you hoof it out 30 or 50 miles on a test then have no one to bring you back. I guess you could do a large circular route so you would not have to cover the same terrain twice so long as it could be constituted as a different bug out route.

mitunnelrat
01-21-2012, 08:25 PM
Agreed. That's why I decided to run it like this. its pretty close to my personal worst case scenario. Alone, on foot, outside in snow/ cold, and without the bulk of my gear. I didn't think to mention I'd still be armed, but I will be. Also, the versipack is ultimately going to be a GHB (again)/ E&E bag for me and its the one thing I'd grab if I had to abandon everything else. So, in a way, I will be fully equipped and low key (as low key as you can be with a man bag anyway.)

The bigger problem, as I see it, is in not getting out to test myself and my equipment. I'll likely take a circuitous route as you mentioned, but even if I don't I'll still have logged the miles. I'll know whether or not a package of mainstay bars is enough to keep me going under such conditions. I've learned why I had such a hard time getting a fire started last winter, and I'll know whether or not my corrections will work when it matters. As for being low key, if I travel through an urban area I'll know how much attention even my little man bag attracts If I travel at night, I'll know whether or not I'll stay warm enough from moving, or if I'll be better off sitting by a fire at those hours.

I learn a lot on these little trips, even on the day hikes I take that I don't always discuss on here. I'm just happy I'm in a good position to do them now, while I can fall back on a safety net.

mitunnelrat
01-22-2012, 08:16 PM
Ok. I can use some ideas. With izzy being so gracious in sending me one of his knives to T&E I'm kicking around different ideas on how to use it. I'll of course be cutting up some 550 cord to tie down my tarp, and I'm thinking its about time I made a figure 4 trigger, so I can use it for that as well. I may or may not bait and set a deadfall trap with it since I recall there was a rodent in my vicinity on the last trip, but if not I'm thinking about altering my plan to stage a shotgun at my end point so I can attempt to drop a rabbit or squirrel. Then I could get into some field dressing with it too.

Any other ideas or requests?

izzyscout21
01-22-2012, 10:53 PM
I'd try doing some fuzzy sticks or a few other small survival chores. I know that if you can sharpen it a little more, it will hold a hella edge.

apssbc
01-23-2012, 03:26 AM
MI good to hear you are still doing this. Its been a while since Ive been out. You've inspired me once again to go for another bug out. Cant wait to hear your AAR for this one.

Also in reference to the hatchet. I for one always have a Hawk with me no matter what. I use it for just about everything and have had some training in fighting with it. I use mine so make tent stakes out of a few branches and that's how I secure my tarp to the ground. Just my 2 cents.

mitunnelrat
01-23-2012, 05:37 PM
Hey man, good to see you again! I was just wondering how you were doing a day or two ago. Of course, I always seem to do that at inappropriate hours. At least I haven't pocket dialed you for a while :D lol

If the hatchet will fit in my versipack its going to go with me. I'll otherwise make do without it. This kinda ties in with a pm exchange I had recently with LUNCHBOX. I'm going to be looking for a new pack, and he put in black and white what I know, but tend to ignore: I've been packing more for camping than survival, lol. A hatchet (or maybe hawk later, they do catch my eye sometimes) would make the cut for my main pack, but I'm not sure about humping it outside of my sustainment gear now.
izzy. I love sharpening knives, so we'll see what happens. I never think I get them very sharp, but anyone else who touches them tells me different. Who knows who's right?

apssbc
01-23-2012, 07:10 PM
No worries, however the first midnight butt dial had me worried you needed assistance :). Well have to get together soon, I have an idea you may like so I will be getting a hold of you.

When I first started this I too packed for camping. Now as my skills have improved I have been able to pack less, but get more versatility out of the items. My ruck is large but it has everything I need in it including gi sleep system and full cold weather gear. I use my hawk more than my knife I have found, cold steel makes some good hawks. As for sharpening knifes I was taught that hair should come off my arm. Thats where I am progressing towards. Not quite that good yet.

mitunnelrat
01-23-2012, 07:56 PM
I'm not that good yet either, but I know a guy who can do it in about 10 seconds. I need to get a six pack and go visit him soon. He's a cool guy to talk to. Speaking of which, I doing this as we're texting. Guess I'll know what you have in mind in a minute ;)

Sniper-T
01-23-2012, 09:34 PM
mtr, why wouldn't the hatchet be on your belt? I've always found that when I need/want it (I carry a machete), I want it now. I don't want to have to take my pack off, and fart around.

apssbc
01-23-2012, 09:42 PM
I gutted deer with a hawk before. I can do anything with it that I can with a knife. Then you pair a hawk with a knife and you have a very formidable tool for fighting hand to hand. I keep mine with me at all times for just that reason, Ive used it to do everything from splitting wood and building shelters, to gutting animals and digging.

If MTR does not use one its no biggy as a good blade works and you dont need it. However I think its a piece of gucci gear worth its weight and keep it with me in my bare bones kit for if I have to dump everything else.

bacpacker
01-23-2012, 09:44 PM
I've probably missed it in a previous post. What brand hawk do you like. I have looked at the Cold Steel model and the SOG.

apssbc
01-23-2012, 09:52 PM
Right now I have cold steels version of the Vietnam tomahawk. Seeing what others had in a group I was part of I found Cold Steels Rifleman's or Pipe Hawk. I am actually ordering one within the next day or two. The hawks are nice and are made of great steel. I find them easy to resharpen to a razors edge.

Also the bottom of the hawk is more curved on the other two versions, thus making it much easier for hooking in a fight.

My con with them I found is the handles can be crappy. I replaced mine with a heavy duty sledge handle and then wrapped it in para cord. Absolutely love it with the new handle, not so much the pointy end as it serves little purpose.

bacpacker
01-23-2012, 09:55 PM
Cool, next time I make it to Smoky Mtn Knife Works, I'll have to check them out closer and see what feels right. I think they have at least 2 of those 3.

apssbc
01-23-2012, 10:04 PM
Ive heard of the place but Ive never been there. Find what feels right in your hand, 20 something inch handle seems about right. I prefer the hammer on one side and the blade on the other. Its amazing what cord wrapping can do for you also. I love cord wrapping to be honest.

izzyscout21
01-23-2012, 10:27 PM
Cool, next time I make it to Smoky Mtn Knife Works, I'll have to check them out closer and see what feels right. I think they have at least 2 of those 3.

BP, let me know if you amke a run up there. I'd like to get me another 'hawk.

bacpacker
01-23-2012, 10:32 PM
Will do. I may head up in the next month or so. I'll keep you posted.

Apssbc here is a link to their page. It's about 40 min to an hour from here (depends on traffic which can be a bitch up there.

http://www.smkw.com/webapp/eCommerce/main_front.jsp?siteFlag=eknifeworks

apssbc
01-23-2012, 10:43 PM
Thanks for the link, I think Ill be spending some time on the website. Good luck with what you get, let me know what you end up with.

bacpacker
01-23-2012, 10:46 PM
Will do! I'll get a pic up when i get one, if I think of it.

mitunnelrat
01-23-2012, 11:23 PM
Sniper, I had it on my belt until a short time ago, but some changes in thinking and circumstances sees me revamping again. This upcoming trip got me looking at a small kit I can EDC and have if I'm separated from the rest of my gear, and I found it sits well where I had a gp pouch mounted to my belt. I was able to remove that without losing any gear, and now it'll be easier to stay geared up in a vehicle. That's a huge consideration now. Also, I never thought to use my drop leg as a sub load, but liked the idea, so the space where I had the hatchet mounted needed to be opened up.

The hatchet should fit in the versipack, and should keep it available enough for my uses, which have all been at fixed sites where I've dropped my gear anyway. A machete or a hawk might be a different story though

mitunnelrat
01-24-2012, 07:19 AM
Ok, this is what I definitely have packed already

Food/ Water Collection-
2400 calorie pack of Mainstay bars
Hot cocoa packet
32 oz. Nalgene bottle
ss nalgene cup
10x water purification tablets

Mylar Blanket
USGI Poncho
Outdoor Products 5' x 7' backpacking tarp
Prescription Sports Goggles

Fire & Light-
Bic
MFS
PJ Cottonballs
Lifeboat matches
spare surefire batteries
Headlamp
spare headlamp batteries

Signaling/ Navigation-
emergency whistle
IR strobe light
Jogger's red flashing strobe light
Spare jogger's strobe batteries
signal mirror
ball compass
whistle combo with compass, thermometer, and fresnel lens

Medical-
IFAK on tear off panel

Knives and Tools-
Eyeglass screwdriver
Folding Saw
Hatchet
CRKT Falcon
Knife sharpener
EOD Breacher Bar

Multi-purpose items-
550 cord
thin brass wire
100 mph tape

Misc.-
tent pegs
Weapon cleaning kit

Physical Defense-
Spare Beretta Magazine

I need to add some CLP to the cleaning kit, and as soon as izzy's knife gets here I've got a home picked out for it on there. Likewise for the radio I bought, which may only be temporary if it doesn't clear my main pack.

I'm going to add 30 rounds of .223 to the bag, and there's room enough for me to fit a .22 conversion kit for my AR once I can afford it. Along the same lines I could put a .22 pistol in the rear pocket if I wanted to, but right now I'll use that space to keep the Beretta in at night. If I have to evac for a housefire, the only things I'll have to grab then are this little bag and a 6 pound dog.

I think that covers it. Any questions, concerns, comments, or criticisms?

LUNCHBOX
01-24-2012, 08:19 AM
I see you have a poncho listed. I would also add a poncho liner (wooby) to your bag. I found that the liner could add another 10 degrees. If your poncho is military (I hope so) then the liner will tie right to it.

Something else...a couple chicken bullion cubes in some hot water would taste real good sitting next to a nice fire.

apssbc
01-24-2012, 01:51 PM
Lunchbox you said what I was thinking. I carry two ponchos and one liner. I keep one in my survival bag in case I gotta drop everything else. Makes a decent shelter and cover. They have so many uses.

I also keep beef bullion cubes and add it to my hot water.

MTR what's the breather bar?

mitunnelrat
01-24-2012, 08:49 PM
The breacher bar is an 8.5" long, flat prybar sold by http://countycomm.com/barfamily.html I also have a thread on here about doing a key modification to a multitool. My bar is pictured on there.

The bouillon cubes are an awesome idea. It'd be a nice point to end a cold day on for sure. I had some chicken bouillon from ramen noodles I was carrying a bit, I liked those because they were flat. I'll have to raid the pantry and grab a couple again.

As for the woobie, it only fits if I don't have anything else in that bag, which is the only reason I don't have it in there. I have an idea that I can try when I get home though. I know it'll fit in an SDS butt pack with room to spare, and that'd be light enough I can run it up my back along the shoulder strap. It'd be very simple to swap it back and forth between there and my BOB when I run full kit.

ETA: Actually, looking at what I do have in there, the woobie may yet fit if I really cram and compress it. I'll find out before I put the SDS pack on. I'd like to keep things no larger than they already are.

mitunnelrat
01-24-2012, 09:39 PM
I forgot to mention I added a pack of travel kleenex and a phone pouch to the bag.

mitunnelrat
01-25-2012, 06:56 AM
Updated and revised:

Ok, this is what I definitely have packed already

Food/ Water Collection-
2400 calorie pack of Mainstay bars*
Hot cocoa packet
32 oz. Nalgene bottle
ss nalgene cup
12x water purification tablets, was 10
-still need to add bouillon
-still need to add stove
Added P-38
Added Spork

Mylar Blanket
USGI Poncho
Added Poncho Liner
-Removed Outdoor Products 5' x 7' backpacking tarp
Prescription Sports Goggles

Fire & Light-
Bic
MFS
PJ Cottonballs
Lifeboat matches
-Removed spare surefire batteries
Headlamp
spare headlamp batteries

Signaling/ Communication-
-Removed emergency whistle
IR strobe light
Jogger's red flashing strobe light
Spare jogger's strobe batteries
signal mirror
ball compass
whistle combo with compass, thermometer, and fresnel lens
Added Blackberry pouch
Adding Saber radio, spare battery upon arrival

Navigation-
Combo whistle
Added blackberry
Added County/ State road maps

Medical-
IFAK on tear off panel

Knives and Tools-
Eyeglass screwdriver
Folding Saw
-Removed hatchet
CRKT Falcon
Knife sharpener
EOD Breacher Bar

Multi-purpose items-
550 cord
thin brass wire
100 mph tape
Added Kleenex

Misc.-
-Removed tent pegs
Weapon cleaning kit

Physical Defense-
Spare Beretta Magazine
30 rounds .223

I need to add some CLP to the cleaning kit, and as soon as izzy's knife gets here I've got a home picked out for it on there. Likewise for the radio I bought, which may only be temporary if it doesn't clear my main pack.

here's room enough for me to fit a .22 conversion kit for my AR once I can afford it. Along the same lines I could put a .22 pistol in the rear pocket if I wanted to, but right now I'll use that space to keep the Beretta in at night. If I have to evac for a housefire, the only things I'll have to grab then are this little bag and a 6 pound dog.

I'm packing the 2400 calorie Mainstay bars for this trip, but used the 3600 calorie pack for building the kit, since that's what will ultimately be in it. I removed the tarp because I have the poncho and mylar blanket already. The batteries will go in a pocket, for better availability. The EOD bar can do what the hatchet will for me, so i dumped it too. The emergency whistle was redundancy i just didn't need, and I already know I'll trash the tent pegs so I took those out too.

I think that covers it. Any questions, concerns, comments, or criticisms this go round?

LUNCHBOX
01-25-2012, 07:04 AM
You can use the ss cup by itself is you don't want to take the stove this trip. I've heated bullion cubes in a canteen cup many times. I would take a couple more food items (peanuts, sun-seeds) just due to the work your going to be doing. As you know the cold will drain you.

apssbc
01-25-2012, 06:59 PM
I didnt see it on your list but maybe I'm blind. I find a pack of wet wipes are very helpful from taking a hobo bath to wiping. Sometimes they can be worth their weight. I always keep two small packs in my kit. Mentally feeling clean can be a massive morale boost.

apssbc
01-27-2012, 06:54 PM
My new hawk showed up both are made by the American Tomahawk Company which is a branch off of Cold Steel. The short one with the cord wrapped handle is the Vietnam Style, I have used the hell out of this one from gutting deer to using the pick for digging fighting holes. The down falls to this hawk is the pick itself. In a fight that is dangerous to the user as well as the "receiver." The head is also very big and hard to remove from its leather sheath quickly and there is no curve to the hawk blade for hooking.

The other one is the Pipe Hawk. I have some work to do to this one, I need to shorten the handle about 6-8 inches so it will be more balanced and thus better in a fight. Then I plan on cord wrapping the handle and sharpening the blade. It is fairly sharp however I want my hawks to take hair off. I have a quick release sheath that will be here in a few days and will mount to my battle belt. The pros to this one is the curved blade can hook a opponents arm for better defensive abilities. It also has a solid hammer portion for when I have to go all Thor on things. I used to use the side of the other hawk for driving stakes I wont need to do that anymore.

I will post pics when shes all done up and finished into the final product.

http://i647.photobucket.com/albums/uu198/emmettfire45/photo2-1.jpg

PS-Just realized I have a sig line Thanks guys its funny as Hell!!

mitunnelrat
01-27-2012, 07:25 PM
I got a pack of wet wipes in there, but removed the weapon cleaning kit for now. At least until I get some CLP, and then figure out how to keep its bottle from leaking all over. Things are packed pretty tight.

LB, very valid point on the extra food. I'll find something I can pocket for this trip, the bag itself just won't take anymore. I'd have to remove something to fit it, and since its already got the Mainstay bars I'm pretty loathe to remove an independent item for a supplemental piece.

mitunnelrat
01-29-2012, 02:31 AM
The weapons cleaning kit is back in place. I call it that, but really its just a couple bore snakes, a brush, and (after talking to izzy) some individual use packets of gun grease to keep things lubed and running.

mitunnelrat
01-30-2012, 10:29 PM
Well, I'm pretty well back to square one. The versipack is tearing after a few days of light use (to and from my car) at its current load. Its probably a testament to their quality that its only two small tears at the rear of the storm collar (that material is thinner than the rest of the bag), in the rear corners, but I'm definitely not going to press my luck. Especially since it is heavily loaded and that full.

Back to the drawing board...

mitunnelrat
02-01-2012, 08:55 PM
I'm back in action! I was able to redistribute everything - and then some - in the versipack (with the exception of the IFAK) onto my 1st and 2nd line. I definitely will not be walking through town now though! This is anything but low key.

Second line is simpler, so I'll start with that. I've put the 3 day pack of mainstay bars, the weapons cleaning kit (with knife sharpener, 12 water purification tablets, and 550 cord in the lower pouch of the Camelbak Ambush. The upper pocket now holds my USGI poncho. An AR .22 conversion kit is in my future, and will fit in the same area as the 550 cord.
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn165/mitunnelrat/005-8.jpg

I then added my cell phone pouch to the left of my mag pouches, clipped a ball compass to the upper left of the vest, and swapped out the grenade pouch on the right.
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn165/mitunnelrat/007-4.jpg
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn165/mitunnelrat/001-Copy.jpg

That new pouch is capable of holding a spare battery, camo face paint kit, spare pistol mag, MFS, and a bic lighter. I'm seriously tempted to swap it out with a pouch I just got (after the fact) for another project because it'll secure and work better. The currently mounted pouch is zip tied to the vest because its snaps and straps weren't designed for mounting on PALS webbing.

Lastly, I put my maps in the protective carrier I have pictured in another thread.

Its my first line that took the bulk of my gear.
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn165/mitunnelrat/004-9.jpg

The coyote GP pouch centered at the rear is holding my breacher bar, a mylar blanket, wet wipes, and my woobie (in a one gallon zip lock bag). I need to remember to see if my drawstring pack will fit in the GP pouch if I put the the woobie in it first. If I do that it will add another element of water resistance, and allow me to expand my carrying capacity so the need arise and no other options are available.

The pouch to the right of it is my one quart canteen. I have a canteen cup and natick stove nesting in there, and one bottle each of iodine tablets and their neutralizer in one of its side pockets. Forward of that is a grenade pouch containing my lensatic compass and headlamp. The space between will hold my large fixed blade (once I order a sheath) and otherwise be kept clear for drawing my pistol. I'm going to try putting one other thing in the way though. I'll be getting a 'hawk here shortly, and its handle will hang in there somewhere from my 2nd line. This is all assuming the knife or 'hawk won't interfere with my draw.

The left side of the belt, from front to rear this time, is two pistol mags, two rifle mags, a TT folding dump pouch, and the original pouch to my IFAK. In that I now have a bunch of stuff. Anything that isn't already mentioned from my prior list is in there, with the addition of another 2 day pack of mainstay bars, my OP backpacking tarp, a maglite solitaire, a folding trowel, and a coffee packet and its supplements. I think that covers everything I added anyway, I'm running off my memory now, which is horrible.

Whether I've remembered all of the specifics or not I do know this. I have the supplies and equipment to go a minimum of 5 days on my line gear alone now. Pretty kick ass, and the total package weighs less than my pack alone did before. I may actually be getting better at this.

apssbc
02-01-2012, 09:09 PM
Looks real good MTR. The knife should be ok in the position you are talking about. The hawk I can envision it over by your AR mags possibly. Or maybe lashed to your camel back for a quick draw would be a decent idea. It will hang in the way of your pistol draw if on the other side.

mitunnelrat
02-02-2012, 09:07 PM
I was afraid that might be the case. Oh well. I'll figure it out soon.

I went ahead and weighed my gear last night. The FLC is currently at 23 pounds. I'm estimating heavy at another 4 pounds for the items I'll be adding, for a total of 27 pounds there. The belt is right at 18 pounds, and the drop leg and pistol are another 3.

So. I'm at 44 pounds of gear as it sits, and estimate 48 when I'm done. That's a big difference from the 20 some pounds the versipack weighed.

But, as I said, I'm geared up to go out 5 days instead of 3 now, have a total of 254 .223 rounds instead of 30, and have one gallon of water instead of one quart. It piles the weight on quick.

Time for some day trips to start getting used to this.

mitunnelrat
02-02-2012, 10:48 PM
I just had another thought on this. I'm thinking of a moving the fixed blade off my battle belt and carrying it as a sub load on the left. Much like the pistol I'd always have it on then, even if I drop the rest of my gear. It would also let me keep the hawk on my strong side because the handle could hang where the knife was positioned, and should allow my draw to stay clear while also balancing out the weight of the mags on the left a little more.

mitunnelrat
02-07-2012, 12:21 AM
I got out on a little day hike yesterday in one of the state game areas near me. I picked the one with a big ass hill to torture myself... and wasn't tortured. I had over 50 pounds of gear on me in vest, belt, and the versipack, but it carried so well I didn't even notice the weight. I did correct two things though. My holster went back on my 1st line. I still like the idea of running it as a subload, but until I get some trouser suspenders that's a no go.

The other thing I reaffirmed is my versipack doesn't work well with my other gear on. I won't be trying to integrate it anymore.

Otherwise it was a very good day. I expended about 175 .223 rounds and exactly 33 9mm. I'm getting a feel for how I want my mags to sit in my pouches, started getting used to the foregrip on my AR, and used the dump pouch as its intended for the first time. Needless to say I wasn't very quick, but I was still making things dance down range, and I mowed down a sapling, so I was happy.

I think I scared a couple other shooters off though, lol.

mitunnelrat
02-12-2012, 07:05 PM
Oh man, the weather here is finally good for a winter outing. We finally got more than an inch of snow, and temperatures have finally dropped into the teens. I'm off work until Thursday, so I'm going to try to get out before then.

mitunnelrat
02-15-2012, 08:50 PM
I'm on location. I won't be our a full 24 hours, and didn't get any walking in today, but I'm intentionally killing daylight now to put an additional stressor on myself and see how effectively I can get set up under a tighter time frame.

I'm back to going minimal on this trip.
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn165/mitunnelrat/021-2.jpg
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn165/mitunnelrat/028-2.jpg
The first pic is of the two items I'll be carrying, the second includes my EDC and gloves.

EDC items are my pistol, a spare mag, bandanna, Morris File belter fixed blade knife, Surefire 6P, SOG multitool, keys w/ Leatherman Micra, wallet, watch, CPR kit, lighter, and the nalgene bottle. I also tend to carry a one gallon jug for refilling the nalgene. I have it, but only to top off the nalgene before I go out. I'm wearing multiple layers to include a wool cap, leather gloves w/ inserts, a polypropylene mid layer, a fleece jacket, and a goretex jacket. I also pulled insulated boots out of my car for this since the EOD bag will be residing in my car after this.

This trip represents what I'd have if I had to walk home for whatever reason.

The bag's basis is a horizontal gp pouch which itself contains a woobie, 5'x7' tarp, mylar blanket, 3' section of aluminum foil, an mfs, 550 cord, and a Swiss Card Lite. I can keep the elements at bay with just it
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn165/mitunnelrat/024-1.jpg

The rest of the contents are a canteen cup, natick stove, baby wipes, folding saw (plus a wire saw from LUNCHBOX to test, awesome bonus! Thank you!), CRKT Crawford Falcon (plus izzy's hacksaw knife to test, another awesome bous! thank you too again!), sea to summit spork, p-38 can opener, Phoenix IR beacon, red jogger's strobe light, maglite solitaire wrapped in brass wire and 100 mph tape, surefire batteries, a ball compass, a combo whistle, 2 day pack of mainstay bars, cocoa powder, nut-raisin mix, coffee packets, emergency poncho, 8x water tablets, 1 qt. plastic bag, mini bic, wind-water resistant matches, EOD Breacher Bar, trowel, petroleum jelly coated cotton balls, a booboo kit including OTC meds and a field dressing.
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn165/mitunnelrat/023-2.jpg

There's no actual water in the bag due to space and size restrictions, in addition to the fact it would freeze as part of a car kit, hence taking the nalgene. I reworked my first line so this won't be an issue when worn as a butt pack for it, so I'm not too worried. I tend to have water available.

Just for reference, since I mentioned it:
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn165/mitunnelrat/013-3.jpg

The angle of the pic makes the bag look too big, but it fits there just fine.

And with that, I'm shortly off. See you all tomorrow if I don't die of exposure, lol...

piranha2
02-15-2012, 09:39 PM
Wish you were closer, we could do one at my BOL.

bacpacker
02-15-2012, 10:45 PM
Nice set up MTR. Looks like you got most bases covered for a small set up. The little knife in the first pic just left of the pistol butt lloks a great deal like a CRKT neck knife I got last fall, espically the sheath. I look forward to reading the AAR. Be safe!

mitunnelrat
02-17-2012, 03:55 AM
Maybe one of these days I'll win the lottery and get to be a traveling man, piranha. So far I've only had one taker here for doing these.

bp, that's my first little custom knife, and I love it. My only gripe is the sheath's belt loop isn't quite wide enough for my uniform belt. I could fix that if I'd just get off my ass, buy a 6 pack of beer, and stop in to see Michael. He lives close enough I could take the belt in and get hooked up quick.

CRKT makes some good stuff though, so I'm willing to bet you got a better score on your knife. I've seriously abused my Falcon by cutting shingles with it, and it sharpened right up to come back for more. It was my EDC knife before the Morris File Belter, which I only bought because I thought I'd lost the Falcon. (I found that under the couch a month later)