PDA

View Full Version : Do you train with your spouse for SHTF

ladyhk13
01-13-2012, 05:12 AM
I posted this in the Ladies Forum but haven't gotten much of a reply so I'll pose this to the men as well:

I was just wondering how many of you actually go out and train with weapons, CQC, Evade and Escape, Hiding out in the woods, tracking footprints, do ya know what I mean? Say for a scenario if SHTF and you were overrun by zombies and had to leave your home for a short period of time and had to hide out and stay safe from them...learning how to do Rambo stuff or setting traps.Does this make sense?

Do you guys take your gals out to train for these types of things? If you do, can you share what types of things you do please?

ravensgrove
01-13-2012, 05:35 AM
I'm not a guy...but Big J has taken me long trek hiking and moutaineering for years. He also ran me through the basic combat lifesavers course. The guys I used to work with, Big J and I used to go skeet shooting religiously at lunch.

ladyhk13
01-13-2012, 05:54 AM
I've never tried skeet but bet it's fun. I was thinking more along the lines of "battle" training, survival against the enemies kind of thing. Using different kinds of weapons, reloading mags fast, tracking footprints of people and animals, identifying edible and poisionous plants, building shelter out of nothing, sneaking through the woods not making any sounds...stuff like that?

ravensgrove
01-13-2012, 06:44 AM
Ummmm we call that hunting: sneaking through the woods not being heard, tracking (which we do)....and I have a fourth degree blackbelt and competed in my youth in martial arts. My Dad taught hand to hand at Ft Bragg for years...so I guess Big J thinks I am "good" lmao. Everyone, everywhere, should have a North American field guide to identify plants, they are cheap and easy to use.

Sniper-T
01-13-2012, 11:59 AM
yup... that's hunting. I do it regularly. My wife doesn't.
We do camp frequently, real back-country. and she's almost as good with that as I am.
When we walk/hike, I always quiz her about different tracks and trees, and their uses. She treats it like a game, but I don't care if it gets her to 'play' along.
She Target shoots with me quite frequently, and is quite good; but will NOT fire at an animal. Not even when we were being circled by coyotes/wolves a couple years ago.

If SHTF, I'm hoping she'll see differently, but I'm not holding my breath.

In the meantime, baby steps. Anything I can get her to do, or learn under the guise of a game, is all good

LUNCHBOX
01-13-2012, 12:08 PM
I have worked/trained with my wife. I put her through some basic gun stuff (very soon she is getting more advanced training)--we've spent some time hiking/backpacking at Red River Gorge in Ky. This spring all our training is being bumped up in level and time.

Gunfixr
01-14-2012, 12:25 AM
Training?? No, I wish she was interested, I'd be willing(women with guns are hot).
I've gotten her gear and all, but she hasn't had it out or on in years.
We've shot together, but that's been awhile too. We did Cowboy action for a year or so together. I can't get her interested in 3-gun, she's watched it and shakes her head.
She'll do the camping thing, and is good at it.
Not really interested in hunting, but will clean and cook what's killed.

LUNCHBOX
01-14-2012, 12:35 AM
Gentleman.......and ladies, this is the time to start pushing for that training. I feel its going to get bad this year and we/you may need the help of your spouse. Male or female, if your missing something in your weapons field then get on it.

bacpacker
01-14-2012, 02:44 AM
Me and the wife got hooked up hiking/backpacking years ago. We don't back pack as much any more since her car wreck, but still hike/camp as often as we can. We are always trying to ID plants, find and ID game tracks, route find, fire starting, etc.
We haven't done much in the way of weapons training other than just target shooting. I do plan on getting a family member ship at a range near where I work that has many ranges for various firearms. I'm hoping we can get in as much range time as possible. Some of the heavier weapons things are gonna be a major challenge for her. Her hands and arms are very limited strength and grip wise due to nerve damage and pain, so we are unable to go all out with that.

ladyhk13
01-14-2012, 02:50 AM
I would love to go through a Kill House but I don't know of any where a civilian can go through.

izzyscout21
01-14-2012, 03:12 AM
I would love to go through a Kill House but I don't know of any where a civilian can go through.

I know this sounds corny, but a good quality airsoft gun replicating your carry gun and a barn or even your house can suffice.
Laugh all you want, I've done plenty of kill houses, but availability outside of MIL/ LEO is virtually non existant. This is how I taught my wife.
This also allows you to conserve ammo and not have to worry about live rounds. Get a quality airsoft pistol/ rifle. not a 20 buck cheapie.
I'm sure your hubby could very easily set you up a nice indoor course.

ladyhk13
01-14-2012, 03:29 AM
I know this sounds corny, but a good quality airsoft gun replicating your carry gun and a barn or even your house can suffice.
Laugh all you want, I've done plenty of kill houses, but availability outside of MIL/ LEO is virtually non existant. This is how I taught my wife.
This also allows you to conserve ammo and not have to worry about live rounds. Get a quality airsoft pistol/ rifle. not a 20 buck cheapie.
I'm sure your hubby could very easily set you up a nice indoor course.

It would have to be outside somewhere...we just spent a fortune and 4 years remodeling our house so I don't think he's going to let me shoot it up with airsoft pellets. My son has been collecting those guns (which cost as much as real guns by the way) for years and went to some thing they had at an abandoned hospital which would have been really cool to go to but I didn't think to ask him if he minded his mom tagging along with him and his friends. Maybe next time around :(

GunnerMax
01-14-2012, 09:21 AM
My wife is against the whole prepping thing still. But she has caught onto buying a box of ammo every time she goes to walmart. The current choice is a 525 round box of .22LR :)

LUNCHBOX
01-14-2012, 02:21 PM
Lady, when you get your land. You can set up any type of range you want. Don't limit yourself to a kill house, practice moving and shooting and you can use that skill inside and out.

Daybreak
01-14-2012, 02:41 PM

It's not really a kill house, but if you have a Gander Mountain near you, check to see if they're set up to do shoot/don't shoot scenarios. The one near me is. I've done a few scenarios and it will get your adrenaline going.

The Stig
01-14-2012, 04:10 PM

Tactical Defense Institute (http://tdiohio.com/home_page/) in Ohio (1 hour east of Cincinnati) has several. I've been through all of them. They offer good quality training at affordable prices.

They're a touch of a drive for you but would make a nice get-a-way weekend for you and the Mr and isn't the other side of the planet. Highly recommended.

Sniper-T
01-14-2012, 08:06 PM
lol... kill houses....

Back in my University days, we all used to have paint ball guns, and go blitz each others places. houses, appartments, dorms, etc.

Made a hell of a mess, but since we didn't care about anything anyways...

Afterward, everyone would throw in $20. for a cleaning crew, and whatever was left went for beer/pizza. Other than the offensive assault team, no one knew it was coming.

We would also get together out in the country, usually on crown land, and divide into teams and play cowboys and 'others' in the bush and hills.

As an aside, we'd also go to the gravel pits, and double up on dirt bikes, a driver and a shooter, and have a hoot at 50+ mph and often up to 20' above ground.

I assume you do some country driving out where you live? are there any OLD abandoned farm buildings around? we did that for a while too (with owner permission) once we got banned from living in a lot of places near the school. Most old houses are shiplap construction, with plaster lathe walls. Airsoft will NOT damage anything aside from a little litter. Just be sure of the structural integrity of the place before you overtake it!

ladyhk13
01-15-2012, 03:41 AM
Tactical Defense Institute (http://tdiohio.com/home_page/) in Ohio (1 hour east of Cincinnati) has several. I've been through all of them. They offer good quality training at affordable prices.

They're a touch of a drive for you but would make a nice get-a-way weekend for you and the Mr and isn't the other side of the planet. Highly recommended.

Yeah it is pretty far for us considering we will be trying to work the new property and keep up with the one we already have, not to mention we are still working on my mom's house as well (plus all the odd jobs she continues to find for us to do). Staying close to home would be important...KY would be doable but OH is a little too far.

ladyhk13
01-15-2012, 03:44 AM
Lady, when you get your land. You can set up any type of range you want. Don't limit yourself to a kill house, practice moving and shooting and you can use that skill inside and out.

I know DH will build another range at some point but we haven't talked about any "fun" stuff yet. Hardly can get past what kind of house or barn to build at this point LOL! But as long as they don't sell the 370 acres next to us we should have a nice playground along with our property!

izzyscout21
01-15-2012, 02:22 PM
Hardly can get past what kind of house or barn to build at this point LOL!

A Big one. With a moat. and a bridge. and a troll.

Stormfeather
01-17-2012, 07:19 AM
It's not really a kill house, but if you have a Gander Mountain near you, check to see if they're set up to do shoot/don't shoot scenarios. The one near me is. I've done a few scenarios and it will get your adrenaline going.

Currently they have locations in Lacrosse & Madison Wisconsin, Lake Mary Florida, Lakeville Minnesota, Spring Texas, and Wichita Kansas. Only reason I know, is I helped set up their CCW program in Wisconsin and worked as an Instructor for them.

ladyhk13
01-18-2012, 05:03 AM
Of course...we are stuck in the middle of them all......................

work in progress
01-19-2012, 02:27 PM
Back when my spouse was my boyfriend- our dates consisted of hiking, backpacking, and setting up impromptu shooting scenarios. I taught him the basics of horse care and riding. He even bought a horse who was sold shortly after two broken vertebrae and yahdahyadahyadah. (still trying to convince him our bugout plan should include my horse, but alas) In hindsight - I realize he basically auditioned me for the role of wife. That's ok - I'd rather be married to a prepper than someone who won't let me play with guns:).

izzyscout21
01-19-2012, 02:39 PM
You know, It really doesn't surprise me he made you audition............

work in progress
01-19-2012, 03:22 PM
I can't believe it to me so long to figure it out:rolleyes:

Stormfeather
01-19-2012, 04:52 PM
we men can be crafty when we put our minds to it!

ladyhk13
01-20-2012, 06:01 AM
we men can be crafty when we put our minds to it!

It's really reverse psychology....we women let you men think that you men are making us women do what you men want us women to do. When in realty, it's us women who are getting you men to do what us women want you men to do without you men realizing it by letting you men think that it's your idea the whole time. Did YOU MEN get all that?????????????????????????????????????? LOL! Yeah, I know....it's hard for your brain to keep up with my mouth. :)