PDA

View Full Version : My Faraday Cage Test

The Expendable
01-16-2012, 12:34 AM
I've heard people talking about using steel filing cabinets as Faraday cages. Sounds logical, but how effective is it? I had some steel boxes that I was planning to use as Faraday cages, and I wanted to test them for myself. I've read that while copper is the best material to build a Faraday cage out of, aluminum is a good second choice. Although I'm not an expert by any means, I've experimented with both steel and aluminum and found aluminum to work better.

My testing used cell phones and FRS radios. I have read that the frequencies found in the E1 pulse of an EMP are similar to those found in cell phone signals. I'm not 100% sure this is true, but I needed a starting point so that is what I used.

I placed a cell phone in a cardboard box, then placed the cardboard box inside a sealed steel box. When I called the cell phone it rang. Then I took the cardboard box out of the steel box and wrapped it in aluminum foil. When I called it I was sent directly to voicemail (i.e., no signal was reaching the phone). I did the same test using FRS walkie-talkies and got the same results... I was able to send a signal to the radio in the steel box, but no signal was passed to the radio wrapped in aluminum foil.

I know this may not be conclusive, but I've ditched my steel boxes and built some Faraday cages using sturdy cardboard boxes covered with heavy duty aluminum foil and wrapped with aluminum Shurtape for strength.

This is a small Faraday cage I made out of a cell phone box. The good thing about this one is I can keep often used items in it and take them out as needed. Note how I wrapped the foil inside the lip of the box, on both the top and bottom. The inside of the box is uncovered cardboard, forming an insulating barrier between my small electronics and any EMP surge. When the box is closed, it makes a "full metal jacket", so to speak. The aluminum Suretape was used to strengthen the foil, but I could have used duct tape as well.

The bottom line is this: If you are planning on using a steel filing cabinet, or your washing machine, or your oven, or your microwave oven as a Faraday cage, put your cell phone inside it and try to call it. If it rings that means that cell signals can breach the steel structure. If cell signals can get through, your makeshift Faraday cage is not giving you any protection.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-eiRJA5E-3Sk/SkkJvv2XXKI/AAAAAAAAAE0/u6u8laH90Go/s800/SDC12049.JPG

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-ntmwIq5xUB0/SkkJxDXgyjI/AAAAAAAAAE4/wXqj-7MukFg/s800/SDC12050.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-HnUN1kwHiWg/SkkJyaS4kOI/AAAAAAAAAE8/Xfcys0sIn58/s800/SDC12051.JPG

Brownwater Riverrat 13
01-16-2012, 01:02 AM
OK I'll bite, "more input Johnny Five!" So that (in theory) should sheild from an EMP burst? Serious question, I would like to see some alternatives. Funny we spent much time worrying about CBR that EMP reallywent by the wayside.

Be safe............the night is your friend.

The Expendable
01-16-2012, 01:19 AM
I am not guaranteeing that my aluminum foil Faraday cage will protect your external hard drive from an EMP blast, but I can almost guarantee that a steel filing cabinet won't.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
01-16-2012, 04:40 AM
And I can garantee that if I bury it four feet underground with the front end loader of my tractor that it "will" protect it from an EMP burst. But my tractor won't be running when it's all said and done because of the eletronics, go figure. But hey, it sounds like you are on to something. Keep up the research.

Be safe............the night is your friend

ak474u
01-16-2012, 04:45 AM
I may be bringing home some of the material we use at work to test it out, I work for a foil radiant barrier contractor, so I've got lots of uhhhhh, Samples laying around. I know a phone call gets thru after we do a house, and I have a bag that was made to show people radiant barrier doesn't ruin cell reception, but the phone is in contact with the bag when it's inside, so I may test that and post a result as well.

The Stig
01-16-2012, 03:23 PM
Fantastic stuff. I love it when people test things out for themselves.

I love it even more when they share it with us.

izzyscout21
01-16-2012, 07:09 PM
Expendable,

I think your experiment was very well thought out and informative. Thanks for the info.

Alas Babylon
01-18-2012, 05:50 PM
Ex:
like you I too think about EMP, natural or man made.
Things are only protected when they are in the box, so what types of things do you think you would keep in the box all the time?
For me, it would be FRS radios, my shortwave reciever..?
What other things should I be thinking of protecting? Space would be limited,so what do you, and all the rest of you, consider important electronics to protect?

izzyscout21
01-18-2012, 09:05 PM
I'm thinking of making several of these, lining them with hobby foam and putting all my sensitives in them,. Be a lot easier to store, protect, and stack them.

Evolver
01-18-2012, 11:50 PM
Nice!!! for those that don't know what Shurtape is... it's a Aluminum Foil tape to seal Ac and heating ducting that has been joined together and is found at most hardware stores in the AC/heating ducting section.

bacpacker
01-18-2012, 11:54 PM
That's good stuff. Very useful for many things.

austinrob
01-19-2012, 03:06 AM
Thanks for posting.

As for what to put in a box, I'd put in some LED flashlights, a few HTs, FRS/GMRS radios, a small HF rig, my antenna tuner.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
01-19-2012, 03:52 PM
I have a "HAM" held radio that will go nicely in there, ol' CB should go in there as well. AWWW CRAP, ok now we have to have a "fly" box and a Garage box. Sure a GM HEI distributer would go in there too. Fits almost anything. As for me it would be an extra set of power inverters for my off grid power system..........Aw hell just line a room in your basement if ya got one. Then all you need is electricity right?

Be safe..........the night is your friend

LUNCHBOX
01-22-2012, 09:01 AM
EX, I like that you checked this out. It doesn't matter if its proven or not to me, I know my electronics won't work if I don't try something. I'm no scientist so I'm going to foil up me some boxes and I just happen to have some rolls of the tape left from replacing all the duct work in our little shack.

Sniper-T
01-26-2012, 12:28 PM
k, so in theory then, if all it takes is aluminium foil to protect them, all you would have to do is wrap your electronics in a few wraps of foil, right?

Have you tried that?

Thanks for sharing, btw

greg48
11-29-2012, 06:42 PM
i am thinking a cell phone or a computer after an emp attack/solar flare are not worthy things to worry about. cell towers will be dead, satellites likely fried, computers will basically be paper weights.

greg48
12-06-2012, 04:01 PM
i am thinking a cell phone or a computer after an emp attack/solar flare are not worthy things to worry about. cell towers will be dead, satellites likely fried, computers will basically be paper weights.

i seen on a tv show last weeka guy made and tested a farraday cage out of a alumnium trash can? anyone hear or seen this, any ideas on results?

mitunnelrat
12-06-2012, 07:30 PM
I've heard of it, just haven't done it to test it. I've seen and done the cell phone test with other aluminum containers though, and it does work.

By the way, cell phones and laptops may not be worthy of caging for comms use post event, but their range of functions and use goes so far beyond that either one can still be useful. Think data storage and home security/ systems controls, just to name a few.

I saved an old laptop with a linux OS with the idea to build a security system around it eventually.

deanathpc
12-06-2012, 07:53 PM
A computer could be helpful with a ham radio for digital modes. You never know.

bacpacker
12-06-2012, 08:33 PM
IMO Ham radios, any radios for comms for that matter, should be included. A laptop fod digital comms or just data storage. Thumb drive, back up hard drive with all your important data. GPS, most anything along those lines.

deanathpc
12-06-2012, 08:48 PM
I currently have a thumb drive with portable apps installed. If your not familiar with this it is a bunch of programs that run right from the drive. No installing on the computer. This also allows you to carry your data with you and access it from any computer. Programs too.

bacpacker
12-07-2012, 01:02 AM
I need to check into this. What size drives are you using?

deanathpc
12-07-2012, 02:02 AM
Portableapps.com I think is the addy.

I started with a 2 gb drive then up to an 8 and now a 16. I carry it wherever I go. Has my email as I use Thunderbird, internet browser as I now use FireFox and all of my passwords. Just a nice option. For when SHTF.

Jimmy24
12-07-2012, 06:04 PM
I would advise a touch more study of the effects of EMP.

You may want to Google "The K3 test in 1962 Kazakhstan by the Soviet Union". I can't provide the link yet. Read the Futurescience article. Usually the first one that comes up.

Jimmy

Sniper-T
12-07-2012, 06:14 PM
Here's the link:

http://www.futurescience.com/emp/test184.html

Katrina
01-01-2013, 09:34 PM
Okay guys need feed back. Da hubs gets his arthritis meds in these small refrigerator boxes They are about foot, foot and half in diameter made of 2 inch foam all around, small cubes. I was thinking about how to re-purpose them as they stack great. If I take that new parchment paper with alum foil and wrap the box and the lid in it, do you think would that be a good Faraday cage for the hand crank radio, batteries, etc?. He gets one every month with the freezer packs in them.Yes, I have been storing those too, some are in freezer , others are sitting on a shelf right now.