PDA

View Full Version : My Musha-Shugyo

izzyscout21
01-16-2012, 04:59 PM
Well folks, I have begun my Musha-shugyo.
That's right. No you didn't read incorrectly.
Please allow me to elaborate.

Back in the days of feudal Japan, Samurai would oftenundertake a training pilgrimage or a warrior's journey called a "musha- shugyo". These samurai would travel from school to school, from teacher to teacher, all the while honing their craft while learning and growing as men and swordsmen.

I suppose I really began my journey as a young kid, learning at a very young age how to handle firearms.
I began competing in IPSC and IDPA junior matches at the age of 10. The military only served to accelerate my journey, sending me to advanced marksmanship training courses and other big Army schools.
They also saw fit to send me (free of charge, mind you) to an awesome place where I could hone my skills for real (hint, sarcasm).

I've had the opportunity to learn from some top-notch instructors: Travis Haley, Chris Costa, Tiger McKee, Clint Smith, and Pat Rogers.

I have had the rare opportunity of staying in the home of Ugo Gussalli Beretta, the head of the Beretta dynasty.

I have had the honor of dining and conversing with the late Colonel Jeff Cooper.

The wisdom I gleaned from these men is immeasurable.

I have had even more knowledge bestowed upon me by many close friends at Pinetucky Gun Club, outside of Augusta, Georgia. Bill Wahl, John Kunze, Scott Prince, Jesus Hernandez, and Steve Meldrum have invested a lot of time and energy in me. All of these men imparted on me knowledge gained from their time as Operators, Competitors, instructors, or simply being around long enought to know "every f***ing thing". Not only did they make me a better shooter, but these guys showed me what it meant to be a better man.

Looking back on my time with them, I have come to a conclusion:

Not all firearms training happens on the range.
Sometimes it's not the shooting or the moving that you need to focus on. Sometimes you just need to shut up and listen.
I learned more from dinner with Bill Wahl (a 70 something year old Hilti tool salesman) than I ever did in a Magpul class. He taught me that the most valuable weapon I can have isn't an awesome AR, but my own mind.

This year, I have decided to restart my journey. I never really stoppped, but I did slow it down. I became so wrapped up in having the coolest gear, that I slacked in actually keeping myself proficient using it. Where I need to be more concerned is the mental discipline of knowing when to implement the gear. Really in the end, I can have the most badass vest, pouches, rifle, or what have you in the world, but if I can't discipline myself and master my own mind, all I will have is a bloodstained pile of Gucci gear.

This year and forward, I am trying to refocus on the following:

1.) Never turn down the chance to listen
2.)Never turn down the chance to train
3.)Practice what I learn
4.)Focus on the technique
5.)Train More
6.) Train Hard

Take all of this how you like. It's something I've put a lot of thinking into as of late. My hope is tha along the way, I learn to master my arms, my mind, my craft, and my life. I wear many hats: I am a husband, father, friend, soldier, prepper and patriot. i hope the lessons learned from one, make me better at the others.

The Stig
01-16-2012, 05:04 PM
http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/7136/rikerslowclap.gif

Sniper-T
01-16-2012, 05:19 PM
well said.

A wise man once said: "You have two ears, and one mouth; that means you should listen twice as much as you talk"

On #6... how about "Train Smart" rather than 'hard'??

izzyscout21
01-16-2012, 05:24 PM
^^ Sweet.......I got the "Riker Clap".

The Stig
01-16-2012, 05:28 PM
As a full blown Gear Whore, in the midst of a 10 step recovery program, this is the same approach I'm trying to take in 2012. Not that I won't buy any gear along the way (lets not get drastic), but my main focus will be stockpiling ammo and training of all sorts.

So thank you for sharing this and I hope it opens up some fantastic discussion because I think it applies to nearly any subject we discuss.