PDA

View Full Version : The beginning of the planet of the Apes

Sniper-T
01-16-2012, 06:50 PM
Yup, pretty stupid, I know

But there was One really great scene in there That actually helped put prepping into perspective for my wife (to some degree)

It was at the end, during the credits no less, when the guy who got sneezed on is seen boarding a plane, in his pilots uniform, and goes off on a flight. from each point of teminus, additional subsequent flights are seen fanning out, as infected people carry on their merry way.

These 360 degree fans of dispersion are exploding outwards from every major airport to every other airport, etc.

As we watched, I said " and there ya go, something as simple as a cough, and within a week, a world wide pandemic". "Imagine if someone was intent on causing harm, and had access to the shit in your labs??"

She visibly paled, and we were able to talk about some of my preps a bit, including masks, and antibiotics.

She's still far from fully on board, but at least she opened her eyes for a little while.

We'll see how this progresses

mollypup
01-16-2012, 07:00 PM
Good luck and I mean that. It's tough living with a spouse who's not on board with prepping. But I had a moment of hope today too. Hubby said to me earlier today, "I know that the market is going to crash again. The hard part is trying to guess when". He wants me to move some of my money around to avoid some loss when it does crash. So, it's not an awakening on a grand scale, but it's something! :)

LUNCHBOX
01-16-2012, 09:16 PM
My wife never wanted to hear me talk about prepping and situations. And being me, that didn't stop me. Of course when things started happening she opened her eyes and is now fully on board. She still not thrilled to talk about it but its for different reasons.

The Stig
01-16-2012, 09:39 PM
Its amazing what little things can open a persons mind. You can hammer them over the head a thousand times but they see one movie, listen to one song, have a friend say the same thing in a different way, watch one commercial or experience once weather event and suddenly their minds are open.

To me, this is why it pays to avoid the "zombies are coming/Mad-Max hysteria" as a way to get people into prepping. Start small, keep them focused on preparing for smaller, non-threatening events and slowly move them towards more mind-bending concepts.

If you start small they may begin to see prepping connections in a movie or whatever.

Well done.

Fatty
01-16-2012, 10:10 PM
Keep at her! Now that we have a kid, she's beginning to realize, at a much faster rate, how much of a stress reliever it is to prep on a regular basis. To know that you are prepared in as many aspects as possible is very soothing to the conscious.:)

msomnipotent
01-17-2012, 03:53 PM
I just rented that movie last night and missed that sneeze. I thought it would be the nasty neighbor, who really had no right tell that coworker to get off the property that wasn't his.