PDA

View Full Version : Vehicles: How many can you fix?

MegaCPC
01-17-2012, 03:10 AM
Just as the title asks. Your driving skills won't get you far if your vehicle isn't in good shape.

So how many of you can change a head gasket? Or replace a water pump? Or diagnose a misfire?

Also, how many of you stock spare vehicle parts?

helomech
01-17-2012, 03:20 AM
Well I am a mechanic by trade. Been working on aircraft from fixed wing recips, to turbine helicopter, and mid sized jets for 20 years. Worked on boats, cars, trucks, tractors heck anything that moves pretty much. Just not real good with the computer side of things.

ladyhk13
01-17-2012, 03:26 AM
Funny you should post this...was in an antique shot today and saw an old Chilton manual and thought..."hmmm, we should be picking up every one of those we come across because ya never know when we will need it in any given situation" and then thought, 'nah, DH can fix anything' and kept walking. But really, as a woman maybe we really should have some of these around since we can follow directions!

p.s. NO smartass remarks needed boys!

Sniper-T
01-17-2012, 11:16 AM
I can pretty much do whatever needs to be done with tools. I've swapped motors, transmissions, Diffs. done brakes and shocks, etc.

I keep a parts truck for my primary vehicle, and replace anything I use. I don't keep a full accompaniment of gaskets though, but I do have enough gasket in a tube, to rebuild a motor or three. Yeah, it's not the same, but will do in a pinch.

I also maintain my snowmobiles, quads, outboards, chainsaws, etc.

izzyscout21
01-17-2012, 01:11 PM
Ok. Here's where I'm weak. My little brother is a carpenter. My other little brother is a mechanic and a brickmason. Dad is a former soldier, now cop. Dad always tells me, "Son, you're brothers got the creative, handy gene. You got the warrior gene."

We'll gee.........thanks, pops. He's right though. I can't turn a wrench on anything to save my life. Last time I "tried" to do something simple, I cracked the manifold on my car.

Routine fluid changes, air filters, and the like............sure. I at least knows where those are located. I can handle those.

I never took any interest in vehicles as a kid or an adult.....or sports for that matter............. so I guess it's kinda my own making. I was just never into those things, so I never learned about them.

Other than "I want that International Scout across the street", I don't know jack about vehicles........................ I can PMCS the hell out of a Stryker though...............

Grumpy Old Man
01-17-2012, 06:01 PM
On the new stuff, not so much other than routine PMs. On the old truck, you bet! Points, plugs, condenser are the best. But, over the course of the years tools I've had been lost or left behind, like my timing light. I can do a lot, I just don't like it the way my brother does. And Lady, Chilton manuals are definitely a must have item if your are going to work on autos. It's not second nature to me so I need guidance so I don't screw it up.

bacpacker
01-17-2012, 09:18 PM
I grew up on a farm and learned at an early age to work on most anything that needed it. Went into auto mechanics in high school and worked as a mechanic for a few years. Done pretty much everything from oil changes to engine overhauls, never did any tranny work. I also spent quite a few years working on drag cars and bikes. Still got all my tools and have started trying to add to them recently. I haven't worked on much other than PM's since the turn of the century. Things have went to so much computerized stuff that you almost have to have a diagnostic computer to figure out much about the problems. I am looking into getting a code reader for as many brands as possible. I'm assuming that a lot of the larger newer farm equipment has went to puters as well.
I feel pretty comfortable working on most anything pre 1990. I've done some work on motorcycles and 2 stroke engines, not as much as vehicles, but enough to get by.

mitunnelrat
01-17-2012, 09:53 PM
Small engines, and pm on vehicles is about the extent I can go, and the small engine work is mostly from years ago. It'd take me a bit to get back into the swing of things. I've been thinking about that some lately too. So many ways I can go, and skills I could develop... lol.

At least I can work on my motorcycle without worrying about killing myself on it afterward.

Taz Baby
01-17-2012, 10:27 PM
I was raised that if you buy it, you must learn how to fix it. So over the years I can work on small engines, boats cars, lawnmowers, ect. Now getting into the big stuff. I can turn a wrench, help out if you show me what to do, if I take it apart I can put it back together.
Lady buy all the Chilton Manuals you can find if they are cheap. If you don,t need them, sale them on Ebay. They sale for top $.

bacpacker
01-17-2012, 10:34 PM
Taz you are right about the Chilton's. They are useful and have little hidden tips in them about stuff you don't see regularly but that can hang you up. I always try and find either a Chilton's or Haynes manuals for any car I get, sometimes both. They are worth having on hand.
Makes me think, my dad used to have an old Chilton's that was for multi year/multi make vehicles. I need to see if he still has that. It was for older stuff, pre 80's for sure. But would still be useful in a SHTF deal, say an EMP!

Stg1swret
01-18-2012, 01:38 AM
Older vehicles i can do anything on. New computerized stuff, I just don't have the equipment to determine what is going on. Never needed a timing light, did it real old school, by sound.

Optimist
01-21-2012, 08:59 PM
VW aircooled, Jeep watercooled, Ford in-line six, both the 240 and 300s. Guess that kinda dates me, huh?

rice paddy daddy
01-30-2012, 01:48 AM
Been workin on cars and trucks for over 45 years, ever since I hopped up my 56 Chevy by installing a Carter 4 barrel carb.
I actually enjoy pulling a trashed motor out of a vehicle, stripping it all the way down to a bare block and putting it all back to like new, doing everything myself except machine shop work.
I don't do transmissions or differentials, simply because I've never had to.
In 1993 I bought an 82 Chevy S-10 for $400 that had a spun rod bearing, at 145,000 miles on the clock. Rebuilt the motor, kept her 15 years, rebuilding the motor again at 300,000. By the time I got rid of her (at 378,000), about the only thing original on it was the cab, transmission, rear end. That truck taught me a lot.
God gives each one of His children a talent. Mine is figuring out how things work and fixing them when they're broke.
Never got further than high school, worked blue collar jobs all my life, but I am truly Blessed.

Katrina
02-13-2012, 03:04 AM
Stg1,
You and me both if it's pre 70's I can usually manage to fix the cars. I tuned my bil's car by listening to it running down the road. His shop teacher told him it was one point off factory specs when he brought it in. Course he had to tell them his SIL did the tuning it by listening to it.
Taz, grab the Chiltons when you can, especially the older ones. Wish I could have gotten the ones from Pop's house before trustee had them thrown out. Most of them were from the late 50's early 60's.

tompnoid
05-16-2012, 11:04 PM
on my old chevy 305 small block whatever i need to do my wifes ford explorer 4.0 l it took me 5 hours to change the alternator that MFing tensioner wouldnt turn with a wrench had to get a prybar and do it the old fashioned way i hate that pos. who builds a 5000lb car with a full time awd feature you cant turn off?? who at ford thought this was a good idea tranny dying both back coil springs is broke its gonna be target practice here soon