PDA

View Full Version : Prepping 101

Stg1swret
01-19-2012, 02:20 AM
Prepping for SHTF can be a daunting task. We all have misgivings about missing something important for that "SHTF" event. This gi ot me to dusting the cobwebs off a bit about my own preps, and thought it also might help those starting out and also jog a few old hands into reevaluating their own preps.

The best advice is to start slow and build up, but also to stick to a plan. With this in mind, first you need to know what you are prepping for.
here is a short example. Others can chime in with their prep plans for an event.

SHTF Event: Hurricane
Warning time: Days
Dangers: High wind, Flooding, tidal/storm surge, power outage
Durationof Event: Hours
Duration of aftermath: Days
Other factors: Possible evacuation-shorefront, lowlying areas near creeks, streams, rivers due to floooding

Preps needed: Food/water for 7 days per person. Full tanks of gas for vehicle. power source other then electric company. means to cook food, shelter. clothing.
Bug in/ Bug out will be determined by location , and possible evac order. Don't wait until the last minute if in a flood prone, or beach area.
if bugging out , notify relatives, and set up a contact schedule. tell relatives where you are going .
If bugging in also let relatives know, phone/cell service may be out for days as could electric. Securely store loose items to eliminate missile hazzard, board up or protect windows and stay away from them during event. Once event is over do not approach downed lines.

This is all that is needed in my area on the east coast as I am somewhat inland. A florida, or NC/SC coastal check list and plan would be more extensive.
I hope you found this helpful, and please post one of your simple prep plans for a SHTF event,

msomnipotent
01-19-2012, 03:25 AM
This may not be considered an event, but my mother's car slid off the pavement and into a ditch last week during a snowstorm. She had nothing but her fall jacket and her cell phone. She is lucky for that because she normally leaves her cell at home. What she should have had at the minimum was a blanket, shovel, and sand or kitty litter, and most importantly, cash for the tow truck. She had to wait an extra hour for my sister to leave work and go to an ATM for her.

I treat my vehicle as a BOB. I have spare wool socks, chemical hand warmers, two wool blankets, a small shovel, a few snacks, and $125 in cash hidden (which just happens to be the cost of her tow). I also have one of those jumpstart things with an air compressor and two bottles of Slime just in case. I really love the stow-and-go seats so all of this can be hidden from view. I add other things if we are traveling, but I am usually less than 10 miles from home.

LUNCHBOX
01-19-2012, 05:13 AM
I just put the wife through a few questions in this same area of thought...this is kind of how it went.

If we lost power what do we need? A way to feed/cook. Winter? A way to also heat If that same outage meant no $$$, what do we need? Food on hand, fuel to use. Ok, how about major incident causing individuals to not be friendly neighbors anymore? Maybe weapons on hand and the know how to use them.

This was just a basic idea thrown out on the way to the store. My point to her was that we prep for many different scenarios by prepping for any one scenario.

Sniper-T
01-19-2012, 11:49 AM
Thanks Stg;

Good breakdown.

I hope you don't mind but I genericided it (is that a word???)
lol

Now it can be printred off and filled out for any Scenario.

hope the formating works...

Prepping Checklist

SHTF Event:
Warning time:
Dangers:
Duration of Event:
Duration of aftermath:
Other factors:

Preps needed: Food/water for 7 days per person. Full tanks of gas for vehicle. power source other then electric company. means to cook food, shelter. clothing.

Bugging in:
Bugging Out:

Eta: I left your selection of preps needed, as they are the basics for any event IMO

Sniper-T
01-19-2012, 12:02 PM
And filled out for my current issue:

Prepping Checklist

SHTF Event: Blizzard
Warning time: 1 day
Dangers: Power outages, road closures,
Duration of Event: 1-3 days
Duration of aftermath: 1-5 days
Other factors: Stores closed, inaccessible by normal means, no power for fridge/freezer (indoor)

Preps needed: Food/water for 7 days per person. Full tanks of gas for vehicle. power source other then electric company. means to cook food, shelter. clothing. Generator. Place to store food from indoor fridge/freezer.

Bugging in: Good to go
Bugging Out: Not an option

Stg1swret
01-19-2012, 12:50 PM
Nice start folks. Remember this is an exercise in basic prepping . Your list and the events that are most likely to happen in your area are what you should prep for first. TEOTWAWKI is not the first priority for some one just starting out. Even for a seasoned prepper, there will be things that are not forseen and supplies, etc., that we won't have we could need. Flood, Earthquake, Hurricane, Blizzard, Tornado, wild fire, Civil unrest, Epidemic, Chemical spill, Extended power outage, Prison break, Terrorist attack, will come before total societal break down.

The basics, are the same for most events, some require specialized equipment. Get basic first aid training, learn CRP, then take it from there. Only you know what exactly you and your loved ones will be facing. Sit down with them and work together on how you will deal with the events that may and do happen in your area. Expand the plan to what if you are at work, kids at school etc., if the event starts and you will have no major problems.

Plan for Mr. Murphy showing up.

Grumpy Old Man
01-19-2012, 05:18 PM
I'll put up the most likely for me here in SoCal Kommiefornicastan.

SHTF Event:6+ Magnitude Earthquake
Warning time:None
Dangers:Structure collapse, gas main breaks, water supply breaks, dam failures, power interruption, sanitation.
Duration of Event:45 seconds to 75 seconds per temblor if close; less if further from epicenter.
Duration of aftermath: Days to weeks

Other factors:Looters, sheeple, government "assistance"

Bugging in:Good to go, camp in backyard with my solar shower and chem toilet shelter set up. Text family and friends as the phone lines may not be overloaded. Shut off gas and water supply, throw main breaker. Retrieve frozen foods and begin preservation. (Remember, I'm in my backyard with a 6' privacy fence)
Bugging Out: Only if forced to. Notify family and friends via text. Go to buddy's acreage and camp. Shut down systems before I leave. Hook up horse trailer with supplies and water (already in there) pick up ponies at stables the 3 miles to my buddy's place.

This way too brief to describe what the total plan is, but you get the idea. This is why I also am a fanatic about water and containers. a 30 gallon drum weighs about 250 lbs. That's probably not too tough for Kodiak to lift, but I'd have a massive coronary. That's why 15 gallon containers are my limit and even then I usually only fill them to 12 gallons. I also have a number of 5 gallon jugs. All have spigots. And I'll take my ceragrav filter as well as my guardian.

bacpacker
01-20-2012, 12:44 AM
Good stuff Stg. I like the list.

SHTF Event: Tornado
Warning time: 1-10 minutes
Dangers: Wind, Debris
Duration of Event: 5 minutes or less
Duration of aftermath: 1 day to months
Other factors: Road ways in-passable due to debris, multiple housing damage, multiple injuries, lack of housing.

Bugging in: Yes, preferably in a basement
Bugging Out: Best not to, could be impossible