PDA

View Full Version : Made me a survival knife

izzyscout21
01-20-2012, 03:30 AM
Ok, so it's nothing super cool, but I figured I'd give it a try.

Small, low-profile, and compact. Fits easy inside a small survival kit. You can tape it anywhere.Cuts and saws (what it's supposed to do, right?).

I'm not great at sharpening knifes, but as it stands, it cuts 550 cord pretty well, so I'm cool with it. I dont need to shave with it.

Oh, did I mention I made it from a hacksaw blade?

I made like 6 of these things just because I could. It was fun.

http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx288/2crgrunt/Mobile%20Uploads/0119122205a.jpg
http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx288/2crgrunt/Mobile%20Uploads/0119122206a.jpg

bacpacker
01-20-2012, 10:58 AM
Good thinking Izzy. Small, inexpensive, lightweight, whats not to like. Did you make a kydex sheath to go with it? :) wise ass comment don't you know.

mitunnelrat
01-20-2012, 10:03 PM
I saw this thread at home last night when I couldn't view pics. Now that I can see them. I like Good job!

izzyscout21
01-20-2012, 10:54 PM
I saw this thread at home last night when I couldn't view pics. Now that I can see them. I like Good job!

I'll have you one out for testing for your next Bug Out Exercise.

Making a sheath (nylon, Bacpacker) right now.

Grumpy Old Man
01-20-2012, 11:13 PM
Izzy, I have a number of 9' bandsaw blades 1 1/4 " wide. You want me to cut you some segments to play with? I have the mechanics save the old ones for just such purposes.

mitunnelrat
01-21-2012, 12:58 AM
Woohoo! I like having new things to play with in the field. Thanks!

izzyscout21
01-21-2012, 04:29 AM
Izzy, I have a number of 9' bandsaw blades 1 1/4 " wide. You want me to cut you some segments to play with? I have the mechanics save the old ones for just such purposes.

yeah man, I'm all over it. Shoot me a PM

izzyscout21
01-22-2012, 05:22 PM
SO in the interest of Tunnelrat's expedition, I decided to slave away and put my meager sewing skills to the test. Here's the sheath I made for his trip. It is made of nylon webbing and has a belt loop and a smaller loop at the bottom. My thinking was that even it it does not go on a belt, the 2 loops give a lot of verstility if one wanted to strap it onto something. It is just wide enough that it fits very nicely underneath MOLLE webbing. It's not much to look at, but it works.

http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx288/2crgrunt/DSCF4505.jpg

http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx288/2crgrunt/DSCF4507.jpg

http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx288/2crgrunt/DSCF4510.jpg

http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx288/2crgrunt/DSCF4509.jpg

mitunnelrat
01-22-2012, 07:24 PM
Awesome. I've already got a home picked out for it on my gear for this trip. Now to decide how to best T&E it for you.

austinrob
01-24-2012, 03:27 PM
on the next sheath, if you fold over the doubled end so that it's 4 thicknesses, and don't stitch it right at the edge of the end of the folded piece, it will stick up just a bit and prevent it from being pulled out of that molle webbing so easially. Or just tie some 550 through that bottom loop tight so it bunches the nylon up. Just a thought. I like it. I have a couple of old hacksaw blades lying around. what do you use to cut a hacksaw blade? another hacksaw?

Sniper-T
01-24-2012, 03:35 PM
Izzy, when you're visiting machine shops, ask about old bandsaw blades from their steel saws. They're generally an inch to an inch and a half wide, and are just stiff enough to make great blades!!

izzyscout21
01-24-2012, 03:41 PM
what do you use to cut a hacksaw blade? another hacksaw?

I just use snips

ak474u
01-24-2012, 05:16 PM
THIS, IMHO looks like a great alternative to a wire saw in a small survival kit. You get paracord and a saw in one, you can also obviously use it to scrape magnesium off a block for fire starting as well. It's not a big-job alternative to a folding, or wire saw, but I would think it could be used to make more tools, with wood, or to get a clean cut thru a piece of green wood that you don't necessarily want to break off by bending when building a shelter. I was thinking the only change I would make is to sharpen the dull side of the blade to retain the sawblade. I would bet a hacksaw blade's dull side could be sharpened razor sharp, and even if it doesn't hold an edge, it's pretty much disposable anyway. I love, and have been thinking of ways to contribute to the inventions that everyone has come up with on here.

bacpacker
01-24-2012, 10:50 PM
AK I like the idea of using it to scrap a MAG block and keeping the saw blade intact. The blade could be as useful as the knife at times.

izzyscout21
01-25-2012, 01:22 AM
guys, I'm taking all your input and coming up with a few more designs.

Thnaks to Grumpy, I will soon have more (larger) "canvas" to work with.

I would like to find a more aggressive hacksaw blade for making these. Make it a touch more robust for sawing small pieces of wood.

mitunnelrat
01-25-2012, 01:52 AM
I was going to wait and see the knife for myself before I suggested this, but have you considered tool dipping the handle before wrapping the paracord? There's a couple different benefits to something like that, making it more user friendly without the paracord wrap, and then either saving the wrap from fraying against the sharp edge and/ or saving you some time and effort filing that same edge down.

Twitchy
01-25-2012, 03:33 AM
Izzy the innovator! :D

I love it! Taking orders yet? ;)

izzyscout21
01-25-2012, 01:24 PM
I was going to wait and see the knife for myself before I suggested this, but have you considered tool dipping the handle before wrapping the paracord? There's a couple different benefits to something like that, making it more user friendly without the paracord wrap, and then either saving the wrap from fraying against the sharp edge and/ or saving you some time and effort filing that same edge down.

hadn't considered it, but I am now.

izzyscout21
01-25-2012, 01:25 PM
I love it! Taking orders yet? ;)

Sure.........why not.

I'll take $500 and a German Shepherd puppy.

mitunnelrat
02-01-2012, 12:04 AM
Very nice izzy. It came sharp as it was, and at a 20* angle its taken an edge like a razor. You had an excellent idea here.

izzyscout21
02-01-2012, 12:29 AM
Glad to hear ir MTR! I cant wait to hear how it does