PDA

View Full Version : World of Concrete

Grumpy Old Man
01-20-2012, 11:04 PM
I will be exhibiting for our company at World of Concrete in Las Vegas next week. We'll be in booth N1121 in the North Hall of the Convention Center. If you are attending please stop by and introduce yourself. I may even be enticed into purchasing you a refreshingly cold malt beverage. Last year I even got over to the SHOT show with a buddy. Sadly, it is not concurrent this year.:mad:

Evolver
01-20-2012, 11:16 PM
Well if I was near Vegas I would diffidently be stopping by to say Hi.

RedJohn
01-21-2012, 12:16 AM
Well if I was near Vegas I would diffidently be stopping by to say Hi.

Same for me but alas I am very far away.

LUNCHBOX
01-21-2012, 01:46 AM
G, I think it would be awesome for a bunch of us to get together, beer or not.

ladyhk13
01-21-2012, 01:54 AM
Aha! You are a concrete expert??? May want to be picking your brain here soon!!!!

ak474u
01-21-2012, 02:22 PM
How come the world of concrete show sounds really interesting to a prepper? As a complete nerd who likes to make things, I can see lots of possibilities of finding techniques and products to make stuff i guess. Someone like my wife? She'd probably rather attend the drying paint watcher's convention. Post the cool stuff you see when you're there, somebody may be able to solve a problem with it.

bacpacker
01-21-2012, 03:50 PM
Great point AK. I'm sure there is plenty of stuff available that most folks would have never considered.

realist
01-21-2012, 04:09 PM
Grumpy we are like ships passing in the night, I just got back from there yesterday from the Shot Show. ONe of these days in my travels we need to hook up. Have a good show.

Optimist
01-21-2012, 08:14 PM
Kid brother and I are playing with papercrete. I cast some foamcrete blocks last fall, and they have gotten a lot tougher over the winter. These were skinned with floor wax, and they float, low in the water, but they do float.... I wish Vegas was closer, I'd drop by to pick your brains on some subjects.

ladyhk13
01-21-2012, 08:28 PM
I have been doing research on ICF's so concrete is very interesting to me right now!

Grumpy Old Man
01-22-2012, 08:00 PM
If you have concrete questions feel free to ask. Yes, I guess I am an expert. I chair the committee on proportioning no slump concrete for ACI and I sit on the committee for fly ash and natural pozzolans as well. I kind of got into materials science because in an engineering firm, geology projects only come along periodically. I chose concrete 25 years ago and it has treated me well. I've been responsible for producing several millions of yards of concrete, both wet and dry cast.

Ladyhk, ICF is the way to go IF you have the capital to burn. Finding tradesmen that can adapt to ICF may be challenging (think plumbers and electricians), but the heating, cooling and defensive advantages are great. Everyone I know that has done ICF has been in the business, so their homes were showcases. However as a building technique it is easily adaptable to smaller structures as well. Have all the wiring and piping cut into the interior foam and drywall over that. I could start a thread on this but, I'd be writing an epic tome. Visit ARXX website for ICF info. They've been around a long time and were pioneers in the field.

Realist, I've been thinking the same thing. You know Florida is getting their own group together, maybe we should do the same. Anyway folks, I've got to finish timecards before I head north so I better close. I'll be poking my head in evenings while I'm in Sin City.

Grumpy Old Man
02-02-2012, 11:23 PM
AAR from WOC. One thing I noticed was the number of Chinese companies exhibiting this year. A lot of people were up from Mexico City with money to burn (Hmmm) as were South Americans. Attendance was not as good as we hoped for, with very few Americans able begin a new venture. The rest of the world seems to be in better shape than we are.

ladyhk13
02-03-2012, 03:23 AM
But yet we are being told that our economy is getting better every day aren't we?

realist
02-03-2012, 05:10 AM
Grumpy I agree. The big problem is that we are so spread out. I do not like the idea of a north and south. So I guess it would be just good to set things up for mutual support if there were problems in someone's area. I have it good up here, you are welcome anytime.