PDA

View Full Version : Preparing for the SHTF

Taz Baby
01-21-2012, 02:51 AM
Not sure if this is where this belongs.

When you think about preparing for the SHFT, you think about storing enough food for each person, having enough water for your needs as in cooking, washing, and drinking. Then what are you going to use for power when the lights go out, having enough guns, ammo, knives to protect and provide for your family. Is your house safe enough or do you have to move? IF so, where are you going to move? IF you are lucky enough to have some land then you have to start thinking about growing or raising what you eat, how are you going to do that and with what. You make plans to get from point A to point B in the safest way possible, with out realizing that you really won’t know what the word safe means until it happens. Can you sneak out after dark and find your way? Are the people going to attack you along the way and if so how and with what? You have to think of all the possible scenarios. This list goes on and on.

My question is this, “How many of you have gotten yourself in shape for the SHFT? Think about it, if you have to walk long distances carrying what you can or run away from someone chasing you, how far can you go?
So while you are preparing for the SHFT, include getting in shape. I for one am not in shape to run any distance carrying a heavy load. I am not overweight and I can carry up to 100 lbs for a short distance, but no way can I run a 50-yard dash. I can walk it though. I walk up and down mountains almost everyday, carry heavy loads of different things (As we are building still), I can walk miles without getting tired. But I am still not in shape to run.

Here is an example: We got a phone call one day from one of our mag members They said that they did an aerial view of the closest property they could get to ours. They said that there was a big structure on top of one of the ridges close by. Wanted us to go check it out. So here, we go with walking sticks in hand, up the mountainside headed to the top. Well we found ourselves having to follow a waterfall that was dry so we could use the rocks as stepping-stones. We walked, crawled, pulled and pushed each other and finally made it to the top. We looked down and said, “No way are we going to be able to go back down.” It was to steep. So here, we are on top of a mountain, looking for a structure that we have not seen yet. We head in the direction of the closest road that we know and walk the top of the ridge.
We find a fence line and follow it. Still no structure. Five hrs later, we finally make it to the bottom and what, do we see? Our mailbox at the end of our driveway. (This is about 1/2 mile from the house.) Never once did we ever see any sign of a structure. That is when we realized that we needed to get in shape. We wasn’t tired from walking, it was the terrain that we had to walk and the dodging of rocks, logs, fallen tree, holes, low hanging branches and such. So please do yourself a favor and GET IN SHAPE. As in army style.

bacpacker
01-21-2012, 04:04 PM
I for one will fully admit I am in terrible shape. But i love your description of the mountian you went up. Sounds a lot like our off trail hiking around here. When we do backpacking after camp is set up we'll take off somewhere just to see what we can find and to work on route finding skills. I can't think of much of a better way to do that, plus you get the exercise on top of that. Walking thru roots, rocks, etc will work on your feet and knees. It's something to try and train for.

realist
01-21-2012, 04:14 PM
Baby steps, baby steps.........I getting in better shape a little more each day. My wife is starting too so we will be doing it together. There is nothing better than having a workout partner.

Sniper-T
01-22-2012, 07:45 AM
Preaching to the Choir... We all know this! And... as a beer bellied Basso... I know this as well as the rest. I am toooooo out of shape, as our swamp-donkey adventure last year will attest, and have done minimal to improve that.

It's just this damn life with work, and house, and yard, and pets, and... keep getting in the way!

sigh!

Thanks for the reminder Tbaby. Bumped higher on the list!

;)

work in progress
01-22-2012, 02:35 PM
A couple people I work with started wearing pedometers around. I did this myself a couple years ago and was surprised by how easy it was to do a little more here and there just to add to the overall amount I was moving around. It's a decent little motivator. I started running a few years ago and competed in several 5k's and moved into trail running because I think that's easier on knees and ankles. The dirt is a lot more forgiving than pavement. But - we moved out to the country and rehabbing the property took priority over running. I've lost everything I gained. (and gained everything I lost as well:p). I can't get the weather to let up enough to spend any real time the the saddle either, tearing up my pastures isn't an option.

ak474u
01-22-2012, 02:43 PM
The good news is, that if those of us who are out of shape live thru the first month or so of a real TEOTWAWKI scenario, we'll get to our goal weights really quick. With rationed food, and sunup to sundown work, you get in shape (or die) really fast.

bacpacker
01-22-2012, 03:35 PM
Good point AK.

Another thing, that probably isn't much of a valid point, if thing go bad and people are starving, those of us who are out of shape will losing as well. I would think it would make us blend in eaiser, for a period of time.

The Stig
01-28-2012, 07:37 PM
I had lost 20lbs and gotten a good cardio program going last year. It got interrupted last October with work and life and I've slowly gained it all back. :(

That said, I resume the program Monday morning, bright and early. One thing I need to remember is not to dive back in as I did when I was going strong. Ease back into it and get myself back into shape.

As you said, if you can't walk to the mailbox without being winded you're going to have a hard time dealing with any sort of physically demanding situation.

Taz Baby
01-28-2012, 11:34 PM
Our problem is this. When we are at the BOL, We only have a genny and solar. So keeping things cold in the fridge is hard. Except in winter. There for we eat light healthy easy to prepare foods. So we loose weight. Now when we go to work, we are in a motel for 6 Weeks, with a fridge, and freezer. So since we have been deprived of cold things we eat them then. Icecream, cheesecake, real milk, roast, potatoes with sourcream. Get my point. So we gain it ALL back. Thank GOD we are at the BOL More than in the real world, we wouldn,t fit in our little sardine can we live in.

apssbc
01-29-2012, 12:36 AM
Getting into shape is one of the most important things you can do for preparing. Im no greek god but by limiting my caloric intake from alot to 1800 a day i have dropped 25lbs in about 5 months. Im down to 185lbs which is what I graduated at. I still eat mostly the same just less of it. However I have been making healthier choices in snack foods and what I drink.

It is super important do actually get fit which is the next step for me. I can hold my own as I fight fires and lift fat people for a living, but I can be better. Get out and walk, hike, and maybe carry a pack if possible. Little steps are all it take to get on the road to being more prepared. The PAW will be a very very demanding place and if your not somewhat fit it will be very hard. the group I used to be in had physical standards you had to meet. I believe all MAGs should at least to the best of your ability have some standard. It dosent have to be a Iron Man but at least walking a mile or two in full pack, and doing some running in combat gear. Possibly add some pushups, situps and the such. Obviously exceptions can be made for those who cannot do these things but bring other qualities to the table. (elderly, ect.).

Just my two cents

izzyscout21
01-29-2012, 03:47 AM
. Im down to 185lbs ..................

I havent seen 185 since freshman year of high school..........

Sniper-T
01-29-2012, 03:58 AM
Taz, just because you have minimal power that is no reason to drink warm beer. something we've done for years while camping is to bury our coolers. Or in a couple instances in places that we repeat visit, we've burried an entire fridge. Face the door up, and cover it with some moss or leaves, and it stays very cold in there.

Another option is something like this:

Flower Pot Fridge! - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSZH0K-Qhuw)

amongst other things, called a zeer pot. google that and you'll find a mountain of info. I personally have NOT tried this yet, but I will....

good luck!

bacpacker
01-29-2012, 08:09 PM
I havent seen 185 since freshman year of high school..........

I only wieghed 165 when I graduated HS, but within 2 years I was up to 230. Today, I'd be happy to get back to 230. I am working on that however.

mitunnelrat
01-29-2012, 09:21 PM
I really need to get back on track on this. When I discharged from the Army I was 165, and for years after that I stayed between 170 and 180, eventually ballooning up to 230. A year and a half ago I got down to 198 and was progressing nicely. At least until a major life change hit. I'm well over 200 again now. Luckily I was able to get my home exercise equipment out of storage, and I recently learned there's a pretty decent gym near my house. I'm going to go check that out.

Back to the Men's Health Hard Body Guide I go. I ate pretty good off their suggested menus, and it gave me a program to follow. I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a well rounded plan.

ladyhk13
01-29-2012, 10:41 PM
Not sure if this is where this belongs.

When you think about preparing for the SHFT, you think about storing enough food for each person, having enough water for your needs as in cooking, washing, and drinking. Then what are you going to use for power when the lights go out, having enough guns, ammo, knives to protect and provide for your family. Is your house safe enough or do you have to move? IF so, where are you going to move? IF you are lucky enough to have some land then you have to start thinking about growing or raising what you eat, how are you going to do that and with what. You make plans to get from point A to point B in the safest way possible, with out realizing that you really won’t know what the word safe means until it happens. Can you sneak out after dark and find your way? Are the people going to attack you along the way and if so how and with what? You have to think of all the possible scenarios. This list goes on and on.

My question is this, “How many of you have gotten yourself in shape for the SHFT? Think about it, if you have to walk long distances carrying what you can or run away from someone chasing you, how far can you go?
So while you are preparing for the SHFT, include getting in shape. I for one am not in shape to run any distance carrying a heavy load. I am not overweight and I can carry up to 100 lbs for a short distance, but no way can I run a 50-yard dash. I can walk it though. I walk up and down mountains almost everyday, carry heavy loads of different things (As we are building still), I can walk miles without getting tired. But I am still not in shape to run.

Here is an example: We got a phone call one day from one of our mag members They said that they did an aerial view of the closest property they could get to ours. They said that there was a big structure on top of one of the ridges close by. Wanted us to go check it out. So here, we go with walking sticks in hand, up the mountainside headed to the top. Well we found ourselves having to follow a waterfall that was dry so we could use the rocks as stepping-stones. We walked, crawled, pulled and pushed each other and finally made it to the top. We looked down and said, “No way are we going to be able to go back down.” It was to steep. So here, we are on top of a mountain, looking for a structure that we have not seen yet. We head in the direction of the closest road that we know and walk the top of the ridge.
We find a fence line and follow it. Still no structure. Five hrs later, we finally make it to the bottom and what, do we see? Our mailbox at the end of our driveway. (This is about 1/2 mile from the house.) Never once did we ever see any sign of a structure. That is when we realized that we needed to get in shape. We wasn’t tired from walking, it was the terrain that we had to walk and the dodging of rocks, logs, fallen tree, holes, low hanging branches and such. So please do yourself a favor and GET IN SHAPE. As in army style.

You can hump 100 lbs? That's almost as much as I weigh....that is pretty much out of the question for me I think especially factoring in osteoporsos at a young age and a foot problem that no one seems to be able to fix. I figure that I am going to have to use my brains instead of braun in order to get out of some situations...maybe I should start a thread along those lines?

Optimist
01-29-2012, 10:58 PM
Zeer pot works very well in hot dry climates, not so well in hot humid ones. Evaporation is what makes it work.

As far as food is concerned, a little spare body fat is a good thing during hard times so long as you are in good shape for stamina and muscle tone. Problems like osteoporosis, and arthritis are definite drawbacks to getting into the kind of shape that is required for soldiering, but, hopefully, we won't all have to go be soldiers. I didn't enjoy my stint of it, and doubt most of you enjoyed yours....

Taz Baby
01-30-2012, 02:49 AM
You can hump 100 lbs? That's almost as much as I weigh....that is pretty much out of the question for me I think especially factoring in osteoporsos at a young age and a foot problem that no one seems to be able to fix. I figure that I am going to have to use my brains instead of braun in order to get out of some situations...maybe I should start a thread along those lines?

Key words are for a short distance. But yea I can . I hung sheetrock and laid title for 5 yrs. Now I carry a lot of rocks clearing our land, lol.

captainhippy
01-30-2012, 04:00 PM
I agree with what other posters have said regarding baby steps and fitness. I have slowly been working my way up over the course of a couple years. Started out walking between 15-30 minutes every other day. This was difficult at the time I began to get in shape was also the same time I quit smoking so every five steps or so I had a profanity laced tirade for the neighbors to watch. Over the course of the first 3 months or so eventually got up to around a solid hour a day of walking (taking off weekends). I will say this the first thing you will notice when you begin walking longer than you usually do is the type of shoes you are wearing. It becomes very important, very quickly when you start noticing which areas of the shoe rub against your feet. Soon enough you will have blisters. It has definitely made me look at footwear / sock choices differently.

I can't imagine having bad blisters in a SHTF type situation. When I get them on my feet or hands (every now and then even still), I pretty much just stop that type of work for some days until they heal up. May not have that luxury when tshtf. That said I always use moleskin or an alternative covering, but I think it would still be painful.

Also important to note: I have read that those in urban areas get more exercise (walking particularly) because of the ease in walking to your destination. In a more rural setting they say you are more likely to drive to your destination. I can believe it.