PDA

View Full Version : Anybody like chess??

izzyscout21
01-21-2012, 01:13 PM
Have my sweatshop seamstress working on a few of these. What do you think?

Though these would be neat as a compact way to play in a SHTF or anyother boring situation.

http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx288/2crgrunt/il_570xN_273432854.jpg
http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx288/2crgrunt/il_570xN_273432636.jpg
http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx288/2crgrunt/il_570xN_273401071.jpg

MegaCPC
01-21-2012, 01:23 PM
I love chess. It sharpens the mind.

I've never seen a velcro chess set before, that's an awesome idea.

Fatty
01-21-2012, 03:20 PM
I'll take 1 :)

bacpacker
01-21-2012, 03:46 PM
Chess is one of my top 2 games, Risk being the other. I love the idea of the velcro set.

Optimist
01-21-2012, 04:58 PM
And if you add round dots for checkers, we can use it to teach the kiddies....

Taz Baby
01-21-2012, 08:18 PM
I want one too. Great idea. Now can you make twister or yahtzee? Those are another favorite of mine.

ladyhk13
01-21-2012, 08:25 PM
Remember Stratego?

mitunnelrat
01-21-2012, 08:32 PM
I remember Stratego. I played it a lot as a kid. When I found it at a garage sale last year I snatched it up. I have yet to play it though :(

That is awesome, izzy. Unfortunately I've never really learned how to play chess well. My one buddy who would play had more fun humiliating me than anything else, I kinda got turned off on it from that. Checkers, now... lol.

Risk is cool too. It was fun when I played with a group of guys in Korea, but here at home it was the same kind of thing. The only guy that would play was the same one who'd toy with me in chess. I'm sure you can guess how Risk went.

izzyscout21
01-22-2012, 02:46 AM
I want one too. Great idea. Now can you make twister or yahtzee? Those are another favorite of mine.

wouldnt yahtzee in velco defeat the purpose?

izzyscout21
01-22-2012, 02:47 AM
I have considerd doing the checkers too.

If i ask her to do risk, she may quit.

LUNCHBOX
01-22-2012, 04:08 AM
I like it and wouldn't mind a checkers set with it......hint, hint.

Sniper-T
01-22-2012, 07:33 AM
You could easily turn that chess set into a checker set, simply by buying white and black velcro. cut the pcs into circles or squares, and you're done.

Great idea for a travel set Iz. I always hated those magnet ones, cause the magnets were'nt strong enough. you have to take a break in the middle of a game, and by the time you open it up again, the pieces are everywhere.

I bought a beautiful green Onyx chess board when I was in Greece in '93. And I bought it with a cast set of greek Soldiers, hand detailed out of silver and gold coloured pewter. Unfortunately, I don't play often as my wife doesnt 'get it' Since I backpacked across Greece for 5 months with it, I still wish it got more use, but, alas, I only play with a couple friends, and rarely at that. I also bought a red granite checker board, with a set of hand carved marble pieces. I got the board home, but had to put the pcs into storage there, due to airline BS. I since lost them. :(

Again, my friend, AWESOME idea. think about marketing it!

Risk, Stratego... two more of my favorite games.

Twister... don't even get me started! lol

mt-rat... if you're buddy is that good, then don't play his game, so to speak. most people who get REALLY good at chess, know all the classic moves, and defences, and will use them to destroy opponents. play silly, play innovative, make shit up as you go along. I once killed a national level player all evening doing the stupidest things, because he didn't know a KNOWN defence against them.

But... ultimately... remember, it is just a game!

lol

ETA BACKGAMMON!! another good one!
small flap to keep the dice... G2G

GunnerMax
01-22-2012, 11:40 AM
the game of chess you can play anywhere, including outer space! awesome

izzyscout21
01-22-2012, 01:02 PM
I'm a chess player through and through, I'm not that great at it, but I love the game. I thought that some of these would be great. If you guys are that interested in them, I'll get quite a few made.

Sniper-T
01-22-2012, 05:23 PM
you might have to add one in to the next holster order...

:)

mitunnelrat
01-22-2012, 11:51 PM
Now I'm wondering if there's any kind of cloth playing cards out there, that could be velcro backed and stick to a mat. Playing solitaire sucked when my cards were sliding all over my tent! lol

Evolver
01-23-2012, 12:59 AM
Your chess set is one of the coolest things! I two enjoy playing chess and we all know that games will sometimes take longer that we have time for so your idea with the Velcro is diffidently the shit!, get a game going and if not finished when it's time to move... roll it up and finish when ever. To cut the costs of the embroidery you could look into silk screening.

bacpacker
01-23-2012, 01:06 AM
Excellent idea on the silk screening Evolver! Also the chess pieces could have a solid color on the flip side to use for checker pieces. This is a great idea.

Gunfixr
01-23-2012, 01:11 AM
That is awesome, and I would definitely be in for one, if I had to sell something to get it.
Guess you can tell I like chess. I was in a chess group in high school. We competed against other schools. Not as good now, as regular play keeps the mind sharp, and I no longer regularly play.
Checkers added would be cool, but if not present, not a deal breaker. My wife can add them later, I'm sure.
Remember Stratego, but never played it. Never played Risk either.
Cloth playing cards, hhhhmmmmm.
Played lots of Yahtzee. Played lots of Backyard Bridge (Romanain Rummy).
I do have Faro cards, made just like the originals from the 1800s.

izzyscout21
01-23-2012, 03:39 AM
wow, I had no idea there would be such an interest in these. Now I'm definitely going to have to do something.

Stormfeather
01-26-2012, 07:10 PM
Count me in for one set!

Katrina
02-06-2012, 04:21 AM
Hi,
I'm new here.LOVE chess, don't have player handy. taught both boys how to play. son 1 was in chess club ,won a couple of awards.Son 2 and I play when we can but am very rusty. love the set would like one if available
Katrina

izzyscout21
02-06-2012, 01:16 PM
Since there has been quite the interest in these, I'm having some made up. I'll let you all know when they are available.

helomech
02-06-2012, 02:38 PM
Great those are neat. Any idea on cost?