PDA

View Full Version : I-Phone GPS

realist
01-21-2012, 06:47 PM
Okay I'm in Las Vegas getting gas and I decided to check the mileage to my home by looking at the GPS on my phone. When I look at the directions, it is taking me in a different direction than I am use to, which is not unusual for any GPS. Then I look at the time it will take to get home and it says 8 days 1 hour. I realized that I had pushed the walking route as apposed to driving. So I started checking out the route that it was directing me. I plan to do some checking on how well this function works to plan out a route in conjunction with a map. This would be just another piece of equipment that I could use in a pinch. One thing about this function it assumed that I would be making 72 miles a day. I would imagine I would be going just a litttttle bit slooooower than 72 miles a day since I am not a marathon runner.

Does anyone used their I-Phone for planning a hiking trip? Obviously you would want a map I was just interested if any one uses this function.

Taz Baby
01-21-2012, 08:05 PM
not for hiking yet. But driving yes. I love our phones gps. Next time I go up a mountain I will use it before I go.

bacpacker
01-22-2012, 12:25 AM
I have a droid so I'm sure it's different than the I-Phone. But for driving the GPS feature works fine. I haven't played around with it for hiking yet. I'll have to check it out for that. My problem is the battery don't last for crap and with the GPS feature running it takes even more juice.

Twitchy
01-22-2012, 12:59 AM
never thoguht of using a smartphone for this... *ponders ideas* would it work outside of cell service? I would assume it would... *sigh looks like i'll be doing some testing!

realist
01-22-2012, 02:57 AM
It shouldn't work outside of cell service. So if that is the case then there would possibly be long (time wise) periods that you would loose cell service while you hike through a dead spot. I have use my I-Phone all the time when I am in my truck. Just like other GPSs it is not uncommon for it to show you the long way. It is very important to confirm the route with a map.