PDA

View Full Version : This past Thursday.

Dropy
01-22-2012, 06:48 AM
So this past thursday i was at worh, doing my thing. I help build very large equipment at Fisher Ind. Aroung 9 am i didnt feel quite right. By 11 am i was in the break room, checking my blood sugar and i ate a banana. I have type 2 diabetes. Found out 2 years ago about. SO i am still learening it. My blood was a bit low, for me. But majorly bad. But still i felt worse and worse.

Went to tell my foreman and he acted like i was bothering, and quite rudely told "Go lean over there." As he pointed with his chin to my work area. Well minutes later a guy in the next bay over, who is also diabetic came bu and saw me. He gave me a glucose tabs, which i ate 3 of. Noon came, time for lunch. I didnt feel like eating, which is VERY unusual for me. I just sat in my seat the whole lunch time and closed my eyes. It got worse. I got up dizzy and blurred vision. Made it back to my work area..collapsed. Guy in the next bay who was diabetic saw me and immediately acted. Called 911, kept me talking...sort of. I was groggy, delirious and not 100% there. They gave me oxygen on the ambulance which helped.. A LOT!. i got to the hospital, doc said basicaly... My heart slowed down, blood pressure dropped and i wasnt getting enough oxygen to my brain for awhile there. I was released awhile later.

I still feel weird. Fingers on right hand are tingly numb, have been for a couple weeks now. Not sure whats up with me, but it dont seem right.

Gonna go in monday morning and tell my big boss i work REFUSE to work with my immediate foreman. His "I dont care" attitude could have been very bad for me there. I wont take any chances with him. Maybe get a lawyer involved if i have to.

Sniper-T
01-22-2012, 06:58 AM
That's a good start, but you need to two additional things ASAP!

1. get your ass into a doc, and get a good check out, numbness in your hand is NOT a sign of diabetes.

2. Learn everything you can about diabetes. You're type two... that's serious. you need to know everything there is about it. The life you save will be your own.

Also know, if you are diabetic, there is a strong chance your kids will be too.

Get some complex sugars, honey, molassis. Keep them handy.

bacpacker
01-23-2012, 12:08 AM
Sorry to hear about this Dropy. You need to see you Dr yesterday. It may not be anything serious, but it does need to be checked out. Glad to hear you had a friend looking out for you at work. The foreman sounds like a piece O crap who just didn't want to be bothered.

Gunfixr
01-23-2012, 01:01 AM
Good to hear you made it.
Another vote to see your doc. Really, you should be checking your blood sugar several times a day. You can then track it and figure out how better to treat it. A banana will not raise your sugar. You need carbs and proteins, like half a peanut butter sandwich. Straight sugars will simply start a blood sugar roller coaster, which won't be good.
Have the doc look for ketonacidosis. It is connected with diabetes, and will cause you to feel the way you do, and collapse, as well as the numbness and tingly feeling.

I've had bosses like that. Don't let it go, go above him and let them know what's up, and what will be done about it.

eagle326
01-23-2012, 02:31 AM
That's a good start, but you need to two additional things ASAP!

1. get your ass into a doc, and get a good check out, numbness in your hand is NOT a sign of diabetes.

2. Learn everything you can about diabetes. You're type two... that's serious. you need to know everything there is about it. The life you save will be your own.

Also know, if you are diabetic, there is a strong chance your kids will be too.

Get some complex sugars, honey, molassis. Keep them handy.

THIS Dropy!!!! Do exactly what Sniper- T said!! No if's ; And's or Buts. Just do it brother.

ladyhk13
01-23-2012, 02:32 AM
Plus if he refuses to get you someone else to work under you can always "threaten" a law suit. Doesn't mean you have to do it but sometimes the threat is enough. You went to the ER on their time due to his not taking your medical condition seriously and it is life threatening so I bet they will be more receptive in the future. If your company is big enough this might be a good time to bring up the possibility of some kind of emergency classes for such type incidents in the workplace.

GunnerMax
01-23-2012, 11:52 AM
I hope all of this turns out in the end for you!

mitunnelrat
01-23-2012, 09:13 PM
Another vote here for going to see a Dr. I'm glad you had an aware coworker near by, that could have been a lot uglier I think. Not that it wasn't bad enough.

msomnipotent
01-23-2012, 09:56 PM
I'm happy you are doing better. Thank goodness you have a caring coworker.

Dropy
01-24-2012, 12:55 AM
Went to the Doc today, got a EKG, blood tests, chest xray and full exam. Will know more tomorrow. Talked to the big boss, told him i wont work with that foreman any longer. told him the whole story, i got moved. =)

bacpacker
01-24-2012, 01:06 AM
Glad to hear things are rolling now. Great news on being moved from the foreman. Prayers sent for good results from the blood work.

ladyhk13
01-24-2012, 01:30 AM
Still the problem of the foreman remains....what if an emergency happens with someone else under him? I think that man needs some kind of training or at least be told that if there is someone that says they need medical attention he MUST call for help or risk losing his job.

Dropy
01-25-2012, 01:13 AM
We went thru full cpr and first aid training just 2 weeks ago. Now they want me to call the insurance company and have them drop it and have me pay for it fully stateing it is not workmans comp. We still are NOT sure exactly what caused it....

ladyhk13
01-25-2012, 03:12 AM
HUH? Ok, one....don't drop anything. Second...it doesn't have to be workman's comp in order for your insurance company to pay for a claim. You have Health Insurance don't you? If you have Health Insurance it should pay for an illness no matter where you are when you get sick.