PDA

View Full Version : Izzy's Gear Reviews: Sportsmoke.com smoke grenades

izzyscout21
01-27-2012, 02:09 PM
Hey guys.I thought I might give this a try. Periodically, I thought I would take a product, make a video and post a review. If you have anything you would like me to review, let me know. Just thought this would be fun to do.

izzyscout21
02-18-2012, 12:22 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMdEYZIbyX8

mitunnelrat
02-18-2012, 12:02 PM
Cool!

I could let my imagination run wild with that! Thanks for the review, izzy.

Stormfeather
02-18-2012, 03:01 PM
Great review Izz! Looking thru their website as we speak!

That damn hazmat charge they tack onto each order hits hard though. If anyone is interested in buying any from them, let me know, I will arrange a group buy so that way we can buy in bulk, and save each other on the haz-mat fees.

The Stig
02-18-2012, 08:58 PM
How hot did that burn? I'm assuming it scorched the ground pretty good?

Based on your military experience what are some practical applications for a smoke? I've got some myself and have my own ideas but was curious for your comment.

Stormfeather
02-18-2012, 10:56 PM
Smoke can be used to hide movement, signal location, cover a withdrawl, the uses are only limited by your imagination.

LUNCHBOX
02-19-2012, 03:33 AM
Stig, It doen't burn to hot. I set one off in my Craftsman dump trailer and could barely see where it burned off at.

Storm, that hazmat charge will be wherever you send them. I ordered mine and some for Izzy and hand delivered his to save the fee for both of us. Make sure whoever you combine a shipment with, they are in your AO.

izzyscout21
10-01-2012, 05:38 PM
anyone else had a chance to try some of these out yet?

Gunfixr
10-01-2012, 07:52 PM
No, I somehow missed this thread.

Evolver
10-01-2012, 08:45 PM
Wow nice Video review. Do you have any broadcasting background? If not it sounded like you do and I'd say yeah do more of these video reviews or for that matter even demo's.

izzyscout21
10-01-2012, 08:53 PM
Wow nice Video review. Do you have any broadcasting background? If not it sounded like you do and I'd say yeah do more of these video reviews or for that matter even demo's.

No, no background in it. And thanks! I'll do some more when time permits and I get something good to do a review on.
I did another video review about the Motorola Saber radios. I think it's in the comms section

Echo2
10-01-2012, 08:58 PM
When did they make the Mil type illegal?

Better question.....are they grandfathered?

Gunfixr
10-01-2012, 09:03 PM
I don't know exactly when they made them illegal, but I doubt they're grandfathered.

They actually declared the fuse (M17??) to be a "destructive device", and so are NFA controlled devices. I guess since it is the same fuse for regular fragmentation grenades and such. Maybe they felt the smoke grenades would be purchased just to get the fuses to make something illegal, I don't know for sure.
So, the smoke part isn't illegal, just the fuse. Unless it's registered.

This is why I doubt they're grandfathered.

izzyscout21
10-01-2012, 09:07 PM
I think that what is on the market is just there. I've see some M-18's and ALS pull pin type on Gunbroker and Ar15.com recently. They were quite the pretty penny though.

Echo2
10-01-2012, 09:18 PM
I bought a couple cases of the ALSG972 type a few years back. Gave a couple to a few friends.....Guess I'll give them a heads up it may now be contraband.

That sucks....Cause I was looking to get a couple more cases. They work great....lots of smoke.

I may have to go with the type you reviewed....they seem like when they get going.....they really put out some smoke.....That small one would have emptied a small house quickly...:)

izzyscout21
10-01-2012, 09:23 PM
Yeah, it's puts out a lot of smoke. I haven't ried one of the big ones yet.

I've got a few of the real deal M18's, but I'm saving those for a special occasion

carolinasurvivalist
10-01-2012, 09:26 PM
Very nice review. Will be adding a few of these very soon. How is the large one in comparison?

izzyscout21
10-01-2012, 09:30 PM
Havent fired on off in comparison, but it is much larger. About the size of a can of soda

The Stig
10-01-2012, 10:34 PM
Glad I got in before peak-ALS Smoke Grenades hit.

cwconnertx
10-02-2012, 02:12 AM
The ALS smokes are not destructive devices, the fuse is just considered an explosive. They will not sell them to anyone without an explosives license.

Word is they are working on a different fuse compound, but I doubt its high priority since they can still sell to government agencies.

LUNCHBOX
10-02-2012, 07:53 AM
Very nice review. Will be adding a few of these very soon. How is the large one in comparison?

I have popped all three (small-a bit bigger than a D battery, medium-around 2 D batteries and large-soda can) and they all work well. Of course a couple larges would cover a retreat very well.

Echo2
10-02-2012, 10:23 AM
How "water proof/resistant" would you guys say these are?

Brownwater Riverrat 13
10-02-2012, 01:10 PM
Son, you have missed your calling. You need your own show, Dizzy Izzy's Surplus Depo Demos! Answer the man's question on water proof, how is it on water proof? Me I think I would keep them in a zip-lok due to their cardboard tube construction. They are not built like the M18's. Just my observation. The other drawback it the possibility of the pull ring getting snagged. scotch tape maybe the pull ring down for temp. hold down device?

izzyscout21
10-02-2012, 05:22 PM
How "water proof/resistant" would you guys say these are?

They aren't what I would call waterproof. I would wrap them in some OD duct tape and then maybe carry them in a ziplock bag as well.

As Riverrat pointed out, they are constructed in a cardboard tube. While they are sturdy, and will no doubt handle my fat ass falling on top of them, I would definitely protect them form the elements. But hey, for a fraction of the cost of an ALS can, these are a good buy.

Gunfixr
10-02-2012, 08:02 PM
I didn't watch the vid, maybe I need to, but depending on where the smoke comes out, you may be able to dip them in melted wax, seal them up.

izzyscout21
10-03-2012, 06:15 PM
NOt a bad idea.........that hadn't even occurred to me.