PDA

View Full Version : Bison

Taz Baby
01-27-2012, 10:05 PM
Now this is an amazing animal. There was a farmer who raised these animals close to where I use to live in Fla. He started out with just a few for his family. Then he starting selling them and it took off from there. I use to buy meat from him. How many of you have eaten this? They are such a gentle animal and beautiful to watch. Much better than raising cows.

bacpacker
01-28-2012, 12:04 AM
I've had Bison a few times. It's one of the best tasting meats I've ever had. If we ever get moved to a BOL (one day I hope) I would like to raise Bison.

realist
01-28-2012, 01:07 AM
I understand that they are real hard on fences.

Okay let me guess they taste like chicken right?

Taz Baby
01-28-2012, 01:34 AM
I understand that they are real hard on fences.

Okay let me guess they taste like chicken right?

lol, no but iguana does. Belizian call them bamboo chickens.

Sniper-T
01-28-2012, 01:44 AM
There are a lotof bison raised up[ here. I can buy a yearling, on the hoof for less than $200. I LOVE it! it is great meat, although it does take a little practice in cooking it.

There is no other animal around that I can kill for as cheap.

I can go out to a pasture, pick my animal, shoot it and use the farmers tractor to process it. AMAZING meat. I know that some people are against it, but there isn't a chunk of muscle on that animal I cannot cook deliciously, and falling apart tender!

mmm, I love Bison!

realist
01-28-2012, 01:51 AM
Okay I have to admit I've has steak and salami, it was outstanding. No it did not taste like chicken but I couldn't resist. The one thing that is nice about Bison is they are gentle on the landscape, they don't tear up the pasture. I would love to get one but there is no way I could keep it other than in the freezer..........

ladyhk13
01-28-2012, 04:19 AM
Best meat you will ever eat. Healthy as well.

Dropy
01-28-2012, 03:17 PM
Bison is wonderful neat. Very lean for the most part. So for that reason you need to learn to season it properly. Also in cooking bison the best phrase i can say is "Slow and Low".

I live 30 miles from Theodore Roosevelt national park here in North Dakota. There is a nice herd in the park. We em every time we go. As far as "Gentle" goes... well i dont fully agree there. The sheer mass of the animals makes em not so gentle. And in the park you need to be VERY careful when driving by them. And god forbid your out walking and happen across a momma with calf. No trees in the park to climb to get away from em. The whole herd is protective of the young.

Taz Baby
01-28-2012, 03:49 PM
Protective instincts are expected from wild animals and people, lol. But I know from the ones I was around they were like over grown lap dogs. But of coarse they were raised by loving people who spent time interacting with them. Does any one have any bison farms around you? If so go watch them for awhile. Just lovely to see.

msomnipotent
01-28-2012, 06:16 PM
I made bison steak once, several years ago. It was just ok; nothing to write home about. In retrospect, I probably should have used more seasoning. Our zoo serves bison burgers right next to the bison exhibit, which I think is just beyond mean. They are also very dry and mealy tasting. Perhaps I just haven't experienced it properly yet, but I would much rather have chicken or beef.

ladyhk13
01-29-2012, 06:49 AM
I made bison steak once, several years ago. It was just ok; nothing to write home about. In retrospect, I probably should have used more seasoning. Our zoo serves bison burgers right next to the bison exhibit, which I think is just beyond mean. They are also very dry and mealy tasting. Perhaps I just haven't experienced it properly yet, but I would much rather have chicken or beef.

I think you must have cooked it wrong. Bison really doesn't need a lot of seasoning...it is naturally very sweet meet. It needs to be cooked med rare or rare. Anything more and you will ruin the meat. It is like deer, there is NO fat so it dries out in a heartbeat. I am not a huge fan of burger, to me it's almost a waste of a beautiful and most perfect meat. I do agree selling it right next door to where their exhibit is, is beyond cruel. I'm sure they have some minimum wage kid making them who is thinking about their next date and how much they hate their job and could give a shit about how they cook your food. You need to go somewhere that knows how to cook it or go and buy a good 1 1/2" ribeye, add a little mesquite seasoning and throw it on your stove (yes, I said stove) over med heat for about 8 mins each side (less if they are thinner). Don't squish it down. Leave it alone. Don't stick it with a fork, when you turn it use tongs so you don't pierce the meat and lose the juices. Let it rest for a couple of minutes before you eat it. It also makes a difference if your bison was 100% grass fed or if it was finished on grain (grass is way better).

Dropy
01-30-2012, 03:33 PM
Protective instincts are expected from wild animals and people, lol. But I know from the ones I was around they were like over grown lap dogs. But of coarse they were raised by loving people who spent time interacting with them. Does any one have any bison farms around you? If so go watch them for awhile. Just lovely to see.

Bison are fine with each other. Any i have ever watched up here on farms and in the parks look at outsiders like a target needing run over. Even the captive "pet" bison up here have bad attitudes and need VERY heavy gates and fencing to keep em put.

Of course how they are raised can make a big difference in temperment.