PDA

View Full Version : My new (old) BOV

Grumpy Old Man
01-30-2012, 06:21 PM
So..... after dealing with 2 auto transport services, one lousy and one great, my 1973 jeep truck is at Doc's shop for the engine rebuild. (Thank you No.1 grandson, Buckwheat!) I'll post pics a little later, but engine info: 360 cid, 2 bbl carb, 4.10 front and rear gears (4x4), original Warn locking hubs, manual transmission. Body is reasonable for a vehicle that old, no major rust. It needs a new clutch disk and throw out bearing, pressure plate seems okay.

Since Buckwheat signed the title over to me for bailing him out of a financial jam, I was already upside down in the truck. But as I have it, I may as well get it in shape. Plus it will be great for pulling my horse trailer. It truly is built like a tank. Updates will follow as work progresses. Pics, Wednesday I hope.

izzyscout21
01-30-2012, 06:45 PM
Nice, grumpy. Cant wait for the pics.

LUNCHBOX
01-30-2012, 10:28 PM
Sounds nice Grumpy.

realist
01-30-2012, 10:49 PM
You really will have a new old truck. That is not a bad idea. Good score..........I think. I would love to do the same thing if nothing else just to blend in with a totally reliable old truck but the wife says that is not going to happen as long as she is around. I'm going to miss her........no just kidding but I am looking for something that might work. A truck not a new wife......toooooo expensive for a new wife. Will be looking forward for the pictures. Good luck.

bacpacker
01-30-2012, 11:56 PM
Nice score Grumpy. With the little work you mentioned it should make you a nice truck for years to come.

rice paddy daddy
01-31-2012, 01:37 PM
That was built back when trucks were trucks.
As long as the shop is pulling the motor, and you are putting in a clutch disc, you really ought to spend the extra hundred or so and replace the pressure plate as long as you are in there.
And dont forget to put a new front seal on the transmission - that's a $6 part that is real expensive to replace later on.

Grumpy Old Man
01-31-2012, 04:18 PM
That was built back when trucks were trucks.
As long as the shop is pulling the motor, and you are putting in a clutch disc, you really ought to spend the extra hundred or so and replace the pressure plate as long as you are in there.
And dont forget to put a new front seal on the transmission - that's a $6 part that is real expensive to replace later on.

Yeah RPD, that's what I'm going over to Docs for today...to give him more money for parts!! Doc Werden is somewhat of a local legend here in SoCal; PhD in Automotive Engineering, has a racing team and he's an honest mechanic! They're repainting the engine compartment after steam cleaning. These guys are good and they are all about our (you, me Stg, etc) age, so they do things the old fashioned way and make sure that the job is done right. I take my other truck there for service as well.

bacpacker
02-01-2012, 01:29 AM
It's hard to find shops like that anymore. RPD is right, a new P plate will wear much better with the new clutch. The front seal on the tranny, and the rear engine seal for that matter will be much easier and cheaper to replace now while it's torn down.

rice paddy daddy
02-01-2012, 06:58 PM
It's hard to find shops like that anymore. RPD is right, a new P plate will wear much better with the new clutch. The front seal on the tranny, and the rear engine seal for that matter will be much easier and cheaper to replace now while it's torn down.
Yeah. Don't ask me how I know this.:p
Remember - the cheapest price is not always the best price.

bacpacker
02-01-2012, 11:06 PM
So True, So True!

Grumpy Old Man
02-01-2012, 11:19 PM
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price has gone.

rice paddy daddy
02-02-2012, 03:06 AM
I once had an '82 Chevy S10 that had my fingerprints on just about every part. One time I did a clutch job - disc and throwout bearing, and having read that the pressure plate should last for two discs, I did not replace it. On a trip several hundred miles from home one of the fingers on the pressure plate broke off, spun into the rotating mass, and it was all downhill from there.
Luckily, I always carried enough tools to do anything short of an overhaul and only had to rent a transmission jack. But the manager of that grocery store wasn't too happy about me doing the job on his property.
Oh well. I'm just glad that God Blessed me with the talent to figure out and fix mechanical things.

Grumpy Old Man
02-27-2012, 04:53 PM
As I promised here are some pics of Eugene. Better late than never!

Here's what were starting from

http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd421/GrumpyOldMan53/100_0426.jpg

The crankshaft that Buckwheat destroyed

http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd421/GrumpyOldMan53/100_0424.jpg

and a pushrod that is bent worse than anything I've ever seen

http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd421/GrumpyOldMan53/100_0425.jpg

bacpacker
02-27-2012, 11:28 PM
OUCH!
It's been a long time since I've seen a pushrod look like that. Old Chrysler Fury that broke a timing chain. That crank looks rough.

izzyscout21
02-28-2012, 01:35 AM
sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet....................

Stormfeather
02-28-2012, 10:23 AM
Looks like one hell of a beast!

Grumpy Old Man
02-28-2012, 03:02 PM
Yeah a rebuilt short block cost me $1200. Nothing but the intake and carb were salvageable. But, since I already had money into it, so to speak, I figured this was a good project truck for post-EMP.

Sniper-T
02-28-2012, 03:14 PM
Gonna be a great ride once you get her done. a nice little 4+4 lift, and a set of 33's and that thing will be un-stoppable

izzyscout21
02-28-2012, 09:50 PM
I want that truck sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad............... ...............

Evolver
02-29-2012, 02:14 AM
Perfict ride for getting to those off the beaten paths. I like!

Grumpy Old Man
03-04-2012, 01:14 PM
I love it that ya'll have truck envy!!!! But much like anything we old coots do, it takes money. At least I'm getting something in return, which doesn't usually happen in dealings with my kids and grandkids! Growing old ain't for sissies, but it can be fun!! I'm looking forward to cranking that baby up! Kudos to Doc Wardens Racing for the rebuild!!!!!

Grumpy Old Man
05-14-2012, 08:17 PM
Well, 4 engines later we finally found a an AMC 360 that was actually an AMC. Turns out that most people in the rebuild industry think that when Chrysler took over AMC they took over with their engines as well. Wrong! Anyway this is what she looks like now.

http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd421/GrumpyOldMan53/100_0464.jpg

http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd421/GrumpyOldMan53/100_0463.jpg

http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd421/GrumpyOldMan53/100_0462.jpg

bacpacker
05-15-2012, 12:40 AM
Looking better all the time.

Evolver
05-16-2012, 12:10 AM
Nice! And I see new paint in the engine compartment as well.:) These are a tough classic American truck and if I had the extra cash I would love to build one up as well.