PDA

View Full Version : Ladies Combat Gear selection

izzyscout21
01-30-2012, 06:38 PM
LadyHK13 brought up a great point and got me thinking.............

Before you even read on, let's get some things out in the open.

You all know me by now, and know that I am in NO WAY gender biased.

Pleased consider this post in that light. I am simply stating this to get you ladies to think a little. It applies just as much to the smaller framed. guys.

This is not a "Women can't do it as well as men" thread. Dont even go there.

DO NOT LET THIS TURN INTO A GENDER PISSING MATCH. I WILL LOCK IT DOWN.

From MSNBC:

Female troops are about 20 percent more likely than their male counterparts to report musculoskeletal disorders, and poorly fitting body armor could at least in part be a factor. For female aviators, dehydration can be a hazard if they opt not to drink water before flights, and those who wait too long to use the bathroom can experience urinary problems.

Some of the challenges for women came up in focus groups conducted with both male and female service members, a majority of whom reported that the equipment given to females was inadequate, "including, but not limited to poor quality or outdated equipment, lack of necessary equipment, tardy issue of equipment, and equipment not sized or designed for women," according to a 2009 report by the Defense Department Advisory Committee on Women in the Services. The report noted that the problems weren't always confined to women.

"When your gear doesn't fit right, it's going to make you more vulnerable and less effective," said Spc. Chandra Banks, 27, an Army reservist who has done two tours in Iraq and now works as a research fellow for the nonprofit Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America.

Banks said she noticed improvements in her body armor during her second deployment, but because the armor was so large it still chafed her hips when she had to sit for hours in a Humvee, and aggravated a knee injury because of the armor's unevenly distributed weight. She said better-fitting body armor would also make it easier to position a rifle or machine gun for shooting.

Ladies, there have been numerous studies to this effect. Poorly fitting armor can result in a number of medical conditions ranging from simple fatigue all the may to muscular and skeletal problem. Let's be honest. Ladies, you're not built the same way as us guys. God did not design you to carry lots of heavy combat weight on your frame for extended periods of time. I'm not saying you CAN"T do it, but you need to put much more thought into it than the men folk.
I urge you all to consider what your loadout is consisted of and weigh the advantages/ disadvantages of what you plan on carrying. Carrying too much gear that you dont plan on using could be hazardous to your health.

My wife's loadout is much, much lighter than mine. Why?

For starters, shes petite. That in and of itself should be an obvious factor.

Secondly, my wife does not plan on being in any direct contact. For that matter, neither do I. But for the sake of this piece, the reasoning is that she has another primary role. Her primary duty should we be in a shooting situation is to watch over and protect the kids. As such, her gear is lighter and much more streamlined. She carries only the basic necessities. Some ammo, a knife, and a first aid kit. SHe doesn't even carry water. Water is heavy, she wont be far from me or another water source.

Sure, will she help out if needed. If I need backup and shes the only one, you bet your ass she'll start shooting. But that is not her primary job.

I'm sure many of you ladies are like my wife in her thinking. She expects ME to do the brunt of the fighting. No argument there. That one is simple. I'm the fighter, she isn't. I'm trained, she isn't. I've DONE IT. She hasn't.

If you plan on having any sort of fighting gear, please, please, for the sake of your longterm health, pick your armor well and your loadout carefully. It should fit snugly. It should be comfortable. It shouldn''t shift around if you jump, walk, crawl, or run. Try it on. Wear it around. If it's too heavy, tell your hubby (if he put it together), and consider removing things that arent needed.

Izzy

Taz Baby
01-30-2012, 09:15 PM
This is so true. Everyone should wear their pack for a day, squat, crawl, jump, run, roll, whatever you can think of and find out where it needs improvement. Also some backpack straps will RUB YOU The wrong way and after a full day of that.... Well lets just say it hurts like hell.

bacpacker
01-31-2012, 12:18 AM
Good posting Izzy. I have to agree with you on the wieght of the loads for the ladies. My wife is petite as you know and has backpacked with me for years. We have got her load down pretty low, espically after her car wreck. She can manage it much better now.
That said she's never done anything with armor and I'm just getting around to looking for a "fighting" rig for her. As small as she is thru her shoulders I'm expecting this to be a challenge.
You bring up many good points that we need to consider.

GunnerMax
01-31-2012, 02:38 AM
I agree with this topic.

I already have a 3 day pack and a 48 round shotgun belt for my wife. Stripper clips and Ammo for her Nagant M91/30

The chance we will have to use this stuff within the next 60 years of our life is 100%

realist
01-31-2012, 03:37 AM
You have some good points. I find that it is frustrating when I teach a class and have people I don't care what sex come to class with a bunch of junk. This is not because they know better but because some SOB thought they could get one over on them. I send them back with it and a list of the proper equipment.

Okay that said I just volunteered to assist in teaching an NRA woman's firearms class. No I'm not on the prowl, I'm deathly afraid of my wife. I want to watch the female instructor and see if I can steal any of her techniques when have females in my class. Those of you out there who are trainers might consider the same thing. It will be nice to see a different perspective. As a bonus I'm signing up my daughter to take the class also.

smoker1
01-31-2012, 05:24 AM
I'm curious what some of your wives actually carry. Mine prefers the old H-harness with 2 mag pouches her pistol and a canteen with a butt pack, She also has one of the newer patrol packs, not much bigger than a school pack.
She is about 5'4" an 105lbs , I weighed what she carries an its about 25-28lbs depending on water and ammo.
My daughter likes my LBV Vest that is set up for an AR, So I bought her one for Christmas.{Cheap aint I } I don't know much about the new stuff out there anymore especially the newer plate carriers and vests so I'm curious.

LUNCHBOX
01-31-2012, 05:55 AM
As some of you know, I handle most of the newer high speed gear at one point or another. I've set my wifes rig up a half dozen times from more common Blackhawk to rare AWS. Most all of the rigs fit when you first put them on, you add weight and it turns to shit. As much as I hat to say it.....the standard flc has stood out from the rest. I feel the extra area mass the flc covers helps it fit more snugly. I also don't intend for her to get in the middle of the shit unless needed but if she does I want her to be as ready as she can be. Ladies, don't limit yourself to a pack. Set up a full loadout and wear it, train in it.

izzyscout21
01-31-2012, 06:03 AM
Smoker,

Welcom to the forum. If you get a chance, take a second and introduce yourself here: http://www.shtfready.com/town-hall/welcome-new-members-introduce-yourselves-here-10.html

here's what my wife carries:

http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx288/2crgrunt/DSCF4516.jpg
http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx288/2crgrunt/DSCF4517.jpg

I expand on her loadout in this thread: http://www.shtfready.com/equipment-basic-supplies/revamped-my-1st-2nd-line-fighting-gear-1174.html

GunnerMax
01-31-2012, 06:23 AM
In the end, I plan on getting my wife a simple Condor Battlebelt, condor harness, and a Chest Rig.

If she lets me, her weapon will be a Maverick 88 NINE shot shotgun. This is paired with a 48 round shotgun belt.

The battlebelt will hold a 2 qt canteen, dump pouch, first aid kit, buttpack, and extra ammo.

Simple, Easy. She will have to take care of a child, so i would do most of the heavy carrying. Im thinking about getting a simple wagon (when it becomes practical for everyday use)