PDA

View Full Version : Armor for Kids

izzyscout21
01-31-2012, 08:40 PM
Ran across this today and thought it was cool.

Extreme Gear Labs « Tactical Fanboy (http://www.tacticalfanboy.com/tag/extreme-gear-labs)

After the popularity of their Kiddie Plate Carrier (KPC), Extreme Gear Labs has released the Micro Melly PC. This itty bitty operator sized plate carrier, with foam SAPI plate insert, are sewn identically to real plate carriers except for scale (and they’re set up so they won’t actually accept plates, to prevent any accidents on the part of the phenomenally stupid).

http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx288/2crgrunt/junk/untitled.jpg
http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx288/2crgrunt/junk/untitled4.jpg
http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx288/2crgrunt/junk/untitled2.jpg

This, of course answers the age old dilemma of outfitting kids with body armor. LOL I especially like the drag handle.....That is a useful feature.............

On a serious note, It did get me to thinking.

If theres a complete and total breakdown (that 1 in 3 billion chance), what measures have you taken to protect your kids?

I'm thinking along the lines of toatally gone to shit and you might encounter bad things while traveling. I actually dont think it's that bad of an idea. I mean, come on. We've got armor. Spouses have armor. Why dont the kids have any. Are they just SOL?

These might not be a bad idea to have and put some kevlar plate backers into. Is this a crazy idea? Am I off in left field?

izzyscout21
01-31-2012, 08:45 PM
then I found this:

Stab-proof school uniforms go on sale to protect pupils from knife attacks | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-475244/Stab-proof-school-uniforms-sale-protect-pupils-knife-attacks.html)

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news/13860078/detail.html

ak474u
01-31-2012, 08:47 PM
School children wore body armor to school in Ireland during the old days with the IRA running amok. I'm just sayin' I want that carrier for my kid so he can carry a sippy cup, crayons in his "admin pouch" and gummy bears on his "ops" which include pants-pooping, sleeping, and destroying my house.

mitunnelrat
01-31-2012, 09:01 PM
Something that immediately hit me as possibly being a better option is a bomb blanket, so I googled it.

Lo and behold there's also a ballistic barrier blanket (http://www.bulletproofme.com/Ballistic-Blankets.shtml) on the market. Its pricey, but I think investing in the big one would keep the armor off the kids' bodies, sparing them any blunt force trauma they might experience from worn armor, and protect them as they grow and develop into being able to wear armor of their own.

ETA: I'll still have to remember this baby version for if/ when I ever have a kid of my own :D

Stormfeather
02-10-2012, 08:59 PM
Ive made provisions, bomb blankets hung inside the kids area of the vehicle for bug out to BOL. Our oldest boy spent some xmas money when he found a kevlar backpack for school. I was going to buy it for him when he told me about it, but he had already went and bought it.

Sniper-T
02-10-2012, 10:21 PM
k, nice gimmick, IMO!!! But I think that even with that vest on, the trauma from a bullet would kill that toddler as sure as the bullet would. Maybe just slower and more painfully.

The bomb blankets are a good idea, especially in a vehicle.

what about those shields that riot cops carry? do they actually stop bullets or are the just for defensive smashing of hippies and tree huggers?

Best way to survive a firefight? DON'T BE IN ONE!! yeah yeah, easier said than done in SHTF... but really, what is that bomb blanket going to do hanging in the backseat, while pieces of shit are riddling your ride with surplus fmj. you're on 4 flats and probably have several major holes in your engine block to boot.

The only useful things I see on that vest are the pouches for some of the kids things, and the carry handle.

Stormfeather
02-10-2012, 11:46 PM
k, nice gimmick, IMO!!! But I think that even with that vest on, the trauma from a bullet would kill that toddler as sure as the bullet would. Maybe just slower and more painfully.

The bomb blankets are a good idea, especially in a vehicle.

what about those shields that riot cops carry? do they actually stop bullets or are the just for defensive smashing of hippies and tree huggers?

Best way to survive a firefight? DON'T BE IN ONE!! yeah yeah, easier said than done in SHTF... but really, what is that bomb blanket going to do hanging in the backseat, while pieces of shit are riddling your ride with surplus fmj. you're on 4 flats and probably have several major holes in your engine block to boot.

The only useful things I see on that vest are the pouches for some of the kids things, and the carry handle.

The bomb blanket is a kevlar blanket thats IIIA, so it will stop rounds all day long. The idea is to push thru a killzone and not be stuck in it. If we are in one, then the kids will at least have a level of protection. We used the same tactic overseas before we had the uparmored vehicles and found it works as good as is possible, without having a armored vehicle. And believe it or not, bullets for the most part arent going thru engine blocks unless they hit a weak spot. You will be more susceptible to a radiator hit, which will still allow you to drive for a bit before your vehicle would be disabled. As for flat tires, the chances of getting a disabling hit there are small, if moving fast, while if we was hit, we can still get some distance (out of the killzone ) before we would have to stop. I base a lot of my security preps on my time overseas in Iraq, after mutiple vehicle ambushes, Ive found this is what works for us as far as vehicles.

Sniper-T
02-11-2012, 12:10 AM
WOW !!!! great post Stormy! thanks for taking the time!

I've made it no secret, that I am a civy! I have no op experience with this kind of thing, and at best, can play the devils advocate. I can only hope, that my argumentative posts in threads like this not only pose questions that others may think, but also not display my ignorance to a harsh reality.

I have no Qualms about asking or questioning that that I do not know!!!!

I don't know about you Stormy, but up here in :Canadian Redneck Territory: we shoot the shit out of a lot of stuff, just for the fuck of it.

We buy POS vehicles for a couple hundred bucks, just to shoot the shit out of them.... and seriously. most hunting rounds can stop a vehicle a lot easier than Hollywood would have us think

I honestly have no clue what happens in the military, but if I'm nestled down, ready for a shot.... I will be able to stop most anything with a single shot. Pick mid rad, 2/3 up from center. you'll hit most engines right at the head level!
done!

And again.... IMO... this has no military experience.... just me and my friends, blowing the shit out of stuff. Teach, sensei.... teach!

ak474u
02-11-2012, 12:16 AM
The bomb blanket is a kevlar blanket thats IIIA, so it will stop rounds all day long. The idea is to push thru a killzone and not be stuck in it. If we are in one, then the kids will at least have a level of protection. We used the same tactic overseas before we had the uparmored vehicles and found it works as good as is possible, without having a armored vehicle. And believe it or not, bullets for the most part arent going thru engine blocks unless they hit a weak spot. You will be more susceptible to a radiator hit, which will still allow you to drive for a bit before your vehicle would be disabled. As for flat tires, the chances of getting a disabling hit there are small, if moving fast, while if we was hit, we can still get some distance (out of the killzone ) before we would have to stop. I base a lot of my security preps on my time overseas in Iraq, after mutiple vehicle ambushes, Ive found this is what works for us as far as vehicles.

THIS,

Momentum helps when a vehicle is disabled to at least coast out of a kill zone. The reason the guys running convoys move fast in Up-Armored SUVs is to be a moving target, and to pass thru an area before the bad guys can organize an attack, and to make a harder target for the guys who ARE waiting to attack. I would think that even though it's not hard armor, the ballistic curtain would help if one had to fight from a disabled vehicle, in the middle of an ambush. As far as avoiding death in a fire fight by not getting in one, is definitely the best plan, but protection against the rounds that find the target, speed, and an armed overwhelming response, is a good way to get out maybe just not in one piece.

Stormfeather
02-11-2012, 08:16 AM
WOW !!!! great post Stormy! thanks for taking the time!

I've made it no secret, that I am a civy! I have no op experience with this kind of thing, and at best, can play the devils advocate. I can only hope, that my argumentative posts in threads like this not only pose questions that others may think, but also not display my ignorance to a harsh reality.

I have no Qualms about asking or questioning that that I do not know!!!!

I don't know about you Stormy, but up here in :Canadian Redneck Territory: we shoot the shit out of a lot of stuff, just for the fuck of it.

We buy POS vehicles for a couple hundred bucks, just to shoot the shit out of them.... and seriously. most hunting rounds can stop a vehicle a lot easier than Hollywood would have us think

I honestly have no clue what happens in the military, but if I'm nestled down, ready for a shot.... I will be able to stop most anything with a single shot. Pick mid rad, 2/3 up from center. you'll hit most engines right at the head level!
done!

And again.... IMO... this has no military experience.... just me and my friends, blowing the shit out of stuff. Teach, sensei.... teach!

Sniper-T, the best way I can describe it is this, rolling thru a red spot (hot zone) when we take fire, its all about hitting the gas and speeding thru the engagement area, sometimes it works, and everybody gets away clean with a couple of jokes and a few wet pairs of pants, but understand, sometimes it doesn't work out that way. The trick to it, (in my seriously HUMBLE opinion) is to not lose your cool, hit the gas, steer straight, and go for broke, anything less, and you get a golden ticket. Sometimes (actually, most times) you win, sometimes, well, you don't. What Ive seen/witnessed, is that most times, hadj/jackwad/skinny/dumass doesnt get that lucky shot to slow you down, in the infinitely off the wall chance, that he gets a lucky shot to slow ya down, you still have a fighting chance by hitting the gas, and pushing thru. (Since I dont have any actual/factual knowledge about Izzy's combat record, knowing what i do already, I would venture to say, he would vouch for this) Its all about pushing thru, "reacting", and making the jackwad come to grips with the fact they are about to meet their maker. Sometimes (for the most part) it works out, sometimes it doesnt. What im trying to say here is this. while it happens, lucky shots are lucky shots, shit happens, but for the most part, you can make it out alive with your crew/family/MAG. That being said, sometimes the fates are wanting to play a fucked up game and run the numbers against you. Salute and execute.
Now, as far as $500 beaters, shooting them up, and seeing what they do, cant count that as good info. Ive seen $500 willys jeeps take 25-30 MK-19 rounds and keep running, and Ive seen a $65000 Land/Range Rover take one hit and die like a $20 hooker on a $5.00 speedball. its all about the luck, anyone who tells you different, well, to be honest, that person hasnt had the dragon wink at them enough to make their opinion matter (IMHO)
ive shot enough vehicles, and other crap, to know how much damage it can take before it break downs. Sometimes its all about luck. Evil Knievel said it best with his motto "Color Me Lucky". The same applies to shooting shit for no reason.
Now, take all this with a grain of salt, this is just the opinion of a broke down warhorse who refuses to go to pasture. I havent seen it all/done it all/ been there/done that. . . as much as the next guy, Ive just pissed my pants enough to know when the odds are against me. Somewhere in all this, I think I got as much as experience as the guy who slept in a Holiday Inn Express last night. Im just sayin. . . . :P

Stay Frosty Fuckers!

izzyscout21
02-11-2012, 01:21 PM
STormy is right. Pushing through a kill zone in a vehicle is the only way to go. If you stop, you have a really god chance of not getting on the move again. Or just plain dying. 9 times out of 10, even lightly armored vehicles can make it out of an ambush zone still running. It all comes down to wheter or not the SOB shooting at you got lucky.

Also agree with Stormy on point #2. SHooting old junkers isnt really a good indicator of how effectively you could stop a vehicle. SOme engines can take more abuse than others..blah blah blah. I can tell you this:

I have personally shot multipe vehicles while on deployment. I have attempted to disable these things with 5.56mm, 7.62, and .50 BMG. Weapns ranging from the standard M-4 and M-14 to the more specialized M-24, M110 and M107.
SOmetimes it only took a round or two. SOmetimes it took 30.
5.56 and 7.62 took more hits to disable, but it was possible to do with both. The Barrett was able to do a much better job (sometimes one round, sometimes 5 or 6). But keep in mind, it is a .50 caliber weapon designed in an anti-material role.

It's all about shot placement and whether or not you get a vehicle that just does not want to die. Hitting a moving vehicle just right, every time, in the correct way, to effectively stop it....honestly...............It's a lot easier to shoot the driver.

The Stig
02-11-2012, 06:26 PM
It's a lot easier to shoot the driver.

Now that is interesting....I would have assumed the reverse.

See what happens when you assume.

ak474u
02-11-2012, 07:15 PM
More importantly than armor, which IMHO is important especially if the vehicle is disabled and you have to stand your ground, is the ability to stop an equally, or more armored threat. I have my own opinions on this video, but I'll stick to the facts for a second... Edinburgh Risk and Security Management Iraq - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-fjrRB7WPQ&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PLF7FF633F2C8F344D) 2 people died in this ambush, because of several mistakes, one being that a vehicle was thought to be disabled because the E-Brake was on and it was in neutral, the operator believed it to be dead (according to the AAR from Edinburgh Risk) when he hit the gas, and it don't go, so he bailed to a ditch, and pretty much vapor locked, he has since made a career of training people, but that is not the point. The insurgents were shooting at them from a Suburban that was lightly armored with steel plate "hillbilly armor" these guys had MP5s and M4s, and could not shoot thru the lightweight steel plates to stop the threat, once they were in a fight for their lives, they had no weapons that would "punch thru" The company changed their SOPs on convoys after this to include at least one weapon that could fire 7.62 AP like an M14, or a PKM IIRC. These guys ran soft-skinned vehicles, and got stuck with nowhere to hide (cept Yeager, he found a spot) and ended up with 2 dead, and more injured.

The Stig
02-11-2012, 07:19 PM
More importantly than armor, which IMHO is important especially if the vehicle is disabled and you have to stand your ground, is the ability to stop an equally, or more armored threat. I have my own opinions on this video, but I'll stick to the facts for a second... Edinburgh Risk and Security Management Iraq - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-fjrRB7WPQ&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PLF7FF633F2C8F344D) 2 people died in this ambush, because of several mistakes, one being that a vehicle was thought to be disabled because the E-Brake was on and it was in neutral, the operator believed it to be dead (according to the AAR from Edinburgh Risk) when he hit the gas, and it don't go, so he bailed to a ditch, and pretty much vapor locked, he has since made a career of training people, but that is not the point. The insurgents were shooting at them from a Suburban that was lightly armored with steel plate "hillbilly armor" these guys had MP5s and M4s, and could not shoot thru the lightweight steel plates to stop the threat, once they were in a fight for their lives, they had no weapons that would "punch thru" The company changed their SOPs on convoys after this to include at least one weapon that could fire 7.62 AP like an M14, or a PKM IIRC. These guys ran soft-skinned vehicles, and got stuck with nowhere to hide (cept Yeager, he found a spot) and ended up with 2 dead, and more injured.

Ah....the fall of Yeager. Shame his actions contributed to the deaths of two men.

This is actually a very cool discussion. I'm going to create a new thread under transportation and invite you all, especially those with direct experience, to resume the discussion there.

This is great stuff.

ETA: For your convenience HERE (http://www.shtfready.com/transportation/vehicles-ambushes-driving-them-dangerous-situations-etc-1373.html#post20796) is that new thread