PDA

View Full Version : How to get kids ready for the SHTF

Taz Baby
02-01-2012, 03:25 AM
How to get kids ready for the Shft.

I do not have any small children but I thought this might be on some of the people who do have children minds. How are you getting your kids ready for the Shft? How do you explain why you are prepping? I am sure you would not tell them about the SHFT (unless they are old enough) because it would scare them. How are you preparing them?
I thought of some idea’s that might help you and I would like you to tell us what and how you are doing it.
This is what I thought of.

Small kids are easy to teach. All you have to do with them is allow them to help in the garden, workshop or the kitchen By them helping they are learning. All kids like to play games and I am sure you have played “I Spy” with them, well use that game to identify plants, tree’s, animals, Poison or nonpoisonous.

Here is a game that I played with my kids when they were little to teach them direction. I turned the game “Hiding-go-Seek” into “Which way did he go George.” We all had a compass and we started at a tree facing north. The one who was it, faced the tree with their eyes closed, counted to 10 and the rest of us went to hide. The ones hiding had to count each step they took and which way they turn to take more steps and so forth to get to their hiding spot. So when it was time to find us we had to tell them. We went in order youngest to oldest. Example:: Billy is hiding and has to tell Suzy how to get there. If you have any idea’s let us know.

LUNCHBOX
02-01-2012, 04:09 AM
I have told my kids from day one about the animals we have/had. The horses are of course sticking around but the cows, pigs and chickens are fair game. (my 4 year old named our cows Mr. and Mrs Meat, I think she understood pretty good) I will be adding rabbits to the list of future meals soon and she is ready to take care of them knowing full well what their outcome will be. I feel you can't/shouldn't lie to them.

Some of the stuff I will wait on...fire starting, shooting (she is 4) the older ones will do as much as I can get them to do.

mollypup
02-01-2012, 07:29 PM
I basically just freak out in front of them screaming that the world is coming to a horrible end. Then, while waving my arms frantically over my head I run out the front door and continue screaming down the street.

Later, after I've calmed down I tell them about my preps and why I have them and they seem to understand very well and have even told me "thank-you mama!". I've already bought lots of clothes, shoes and other necessities for them as they grow in case good clothes become a rarity. They know not to talk about it with their daddy since he's still living in sheeple-land. Kids are 8 and 10 years old. They're old enough now to help and they do. I have them carry the water-filled soda bottles downstairs and even some of my canned goods.