PDA

View Full Version : Written SHTF Plans

The Stig
02-06-2012, 11:18 PM
I'm a very visual person and prefer to absorb information through bullet points and pictures than listening.

As such I'm wondering if anybody has ever taken the time to write out SHTF plans for various scenarios?

This can be anything as simple as a 8x10 sheet of paper with some scribbled notes to a formalized 3-ring binder of SOP's for various events.

If you've done this can you describe how you went about organizing your thoughts. Also, any sort of "lessons learned" would be great too.

Sniper-T
02-06-2012, 11:37 PM
wow, a very broad and subjective question. But I'll give it a whirl.

I write a bunch of reports and 'shtuff' for work, and the simplest explanation is two fold.

A. KISS
B. Start at the beginning, follow through the middle and finish at the end.

Easier said than done eh? lol

Start with an expungment of everything you know, what you don't know but want to, and add some question marks for what you think you might need.

Then organize them into the rough categories above... or, to refine them
1. Introduction
2. Premise
3. substanciating facts
4. Hypothesis/Theories
5. Supporting/refuting facts
6. Summary
7. Conclusion

so, for example:

1. Earthquake
2. large scale earthquake, near home.
3. realistically, up to magnitude x.x; would cause x damage. would create x havok to supply lines, utilities, etc
4a. Bug In
4b. Bug Out
5. Steps involved in either scenario, from your primary location from realistic locations. from work? from the mall? etc.

If in, are you set up inside for the long haul, what needs to be done:
A. Immediately,
B. ASAP,
C. When there's time,
D. continually, as the event unfolds.

if bugging out, what needs to be done as above^

6. in this scenario, you will need x items that you have and x items that you do not.

7. you can make a shopping list for needs/wants.

Once you have this essentially roughed out, go over it with family and friends, see what they have to add, and carry on.

remember, your needs to get home from a range day in a hardened 4x4 will be a little different than your wife's from a jewelery party, or bridal shower. (and vice versa). have sub categories for each person, for each forseeable scenario. start small, and then increase.

just my .02c

LUNCHBOX
02-06-2012, 11:49 PM
Everything Sniper-T said and......I keep a 2" binder. (I'm a big one on talking at work and writing ideas down to use.

GunnerMax
02-07-2012, 12:06 AM
this is a good idea. I will have to make one of these, with road directions to my BOL/mothers/cousins, wherever the need is to go (and a road atlas/compass) attached...

good idea, I proposed. Dont forget a road atlas and compass in this binder. It would be indispensable.

LUNCHBOX
02-07-2012, 04:08 AM
The Atlas and compass is a good idea (I keep a compass in my gear but my Atlas is outdated due to the TomTom. You might also want to look at the chance your on foot and picking up maps of your nearest states you may visit later. You could seal them in ziplocs top keep them safe and bury them in your gear until needed.

ak474u
02-07-2012, 05:24 AM
I did one for my wife, kind of a checklist of sorts for the "If I'm Not Here and it's TEOTWAWKI" type thing, but it really is just 1. Arm yourself, or at least make ready access to a weapon. 2. Secure doors and windows (up to and including blocking with furniture 3. If at night, break out emergency light sources and secure them against possible fire danger 4. Pack appropriate clothing for son, and herself. 5. stage dry goods and canned goods near door for quick removal. 6. retrieve "camping gear tubs from storage if safely possible" 7. Use emergency radio to assess situation, take notes if possible with specific threat info (assume I am on-foot or unable to communicate) 8. prepare/stage essentials for hygiene needs for 30+ days. 9. Attempt electronic communication thru text, email, phone if possible. 10. Fill tubs for extra utility water if possible 11. take containers to downstairs hose bibs and fill with water (we live on the second floor, and one would assume there is still water in the lines) 12. Inventory currently available food in freezer and make consumption plans/menu in case no power returns before the thaw starts to ruin food 13. Assess EARLY in the event whether or not the building in which we live is compromised as far as fire nearby, chemical spill nearby (I can walk out the front door into the parking garage, and pee off the garage onto a MAJOR highway) I feel like the assessment of the building can be made pretty fast, is it damaged other than windows broken or minor roof damage, but nearby threats like fire or chemicals are a major concern because of the highway. several months before we moved here, a gasoline tanker truck lost control on the highway ramp, flipped and exploded, a river of fire ran down the ramp onto the main part of the highway, and into the drainage ditches and parking lot of the building I live in. The fire burned so hot, that it melted the aluminum window frames in the NW side of my building, and the oak trees in the landscaping were burned to a stump. This isn't in order, just off the top of my head, and I've pre-staged empty army style duffles with the tubs of gear that would need to go if we G.O.O.D. for my wife to pack things she uses daily or may need that are either in short supply, or critical for her day-to-day peace of mind for her and my son. She knows WHERE to go, and HOW to go if I don't return in a timely fashion, but it would be sketchy.

GunnerMax
02-07-2012, 06:36 AM
BTW guys, AAA (if you are a member, if not, i can get you some) give free maps of areas.

Sniper-T
02-07-2012, 11:33 AM
When I am getting ready to write a report, or a proposal or whatever, I usually start with a pad of sticky notes and point form try to write out everything I can think of, that I want to say. order doesn't matter. but write them one point per sticky. Then using the template above, or another of the thousands available online, like: Report Writing : Academic Skills Centre : University of Canberra (http://www.canberra.edu.au/studyskills/writing/reports)... I sort them out into a logical sequence across my desk.

Once you can see how it looks, you can often see holes, and/or redundancies, and pare it down, and elaborate where necessary. Once I have the gist of what I want to write in place, I pick them all up, sticking them into a pile, in order.

Now you have all your thoughts collected and sorted in a cohesive order, you are ready to start writing. Elaborate your points into sentances if necessary, elaborate where you need to, and if you need to do more research, then leave some blank spaces and carry on. Once all your stickies are transcribed, you have your first rough draft.

Edit and fill in the blanks to your hearts content.

Sniper-T
02-07-2012, 11:35 AM
And x 2 on AAA or for us CAA. free maps and tour books almost pay for the membership alone.

Even if I'm not planning a trip, I'll often grab stuff just to have/read, for when I might want to take a trip

Stg1swret
02-10-2012, 02:53 AM
Google Map is your friend. I also have a DeLorme Gazzeteer for topographic feature.

mitunnelrat
02-10-2012, 03:51 AM
I"m only about half accomplished at this so far. I have my overall plan hand written and compiled in a 3 ring binder, but it hasn't been updated for a while - and I know various aspects have changed.

I have notes scratched into loose papers jammed in a pocket at the front of that binder.

My high priority and immediate action items are on a white board where I'll look right at them every day. I use different color markers to denote Urgent, necessary, and proactive measures.

izzyscout21
02-10-2012, 04:25 AM
This is something I need to work on. Thanks for making me think, guys.

Stormfeather
02-10-2012, 09:20 PM
same with izzy, benn mulling this idea over for a while, just waiting to have time to do it.

bacpacker
02-11-2012, 01:10 AM
Me three! I have some stuff written down, but not near what I need to. MTR good idea about the white board.

rentprop1
02-11-2012, 03:23 AM
I started a large 3 ring binder, every time I would visit my wife's office and have to wait for her I would use one of the courtesy computers and print off a bunch of stuff use her industrial 3 -hole punch and bring home and sort for my binder, I started to break it down so I had a hard copy of things like water purification, lists of items for BOB's , shelter plans , military manuals, on everything from field survival to medicine, I can only do a little at a time, its a huge printer,fax,copier thing and I can't run it out of paper again cause it will looks suspect...lol

brayden
02-11-2012, 05:40 AM
i started off with a regular 3 ring binder, but recently, i decided to go with one of those 3 ring binders that zips up around 3 sides. gives a little more protection to the contents. it also has a little calculator and several pockets for various stuff. i keep copies of maps, easy recipes, lists of supplies, and instructions for the wife in the event that something happens to me. i was hoping to find a binder that was for half sized sheets of paper. franklin planners are just the right size, but too expensive. at some point, i want to get a laminator and laminate as much of it as possible.

Stormfeather
02-11-2012, 08:32 AM
Ok, so I gotta throw this out there, opinion-wise.

im thinking of 1 binder per vehicle.

Binder has freq's, grids, POC's,(Point Of Ccntact), routes, and a checklist of stuff that needs to be with that vehicle. Basically a checklist before you Bug Out. Ive even went as far as thinking about forwarding a copy of the binder to the MAG leader, so this way, for security aspects, he knows whats coming into his AO so he can plan accordingly. IE; this vehicle should have this person, these supplies ect ect, maybe even include a basic passport style photo of the person who should be driving the vehicle. Am i going full retard or am I onto something here?

izzyscout21
02-11-2012, 01:02 PM
^^

I like that Idea Stormy. I'm going to do one for each vehicle and one for the house. If one gets in a hurry, it's easy to forget things. More than one copy could help with that.

GunnerMax
02-11-2012, 01:16 PM
BTW guys, if you want a tough binder, and have extra $$$ to spend, we use these on all of our boats, and they are flippin awesome with many inside pouches. Rite-in-the-Rain Black Planner Starter Kit 8.5x11" - 9250B-MX (http://www.go2outfitters.com/Black_Planner_Starter_Kit_8_5x11_9250B_MX_p/rr-9250b-mx.htm?utm_source=google+product&utm_medium=versafeed&utm_term=rr+9250b+mx&utm_campaign=office+supplies+general+supplies+pape r+products&utm_content=rite+in+the+rain+black+planner+starter +kit+85x11+9250b+mx&v_traceback=c0208_2300_f0208_2310&Click=23613)

if I could, I would get one of these, they are indestructable

izzyscout21
02-11-2012, 01:24 PM
^^

Ill second that. ANythign made by Rite in the Rain is worth having

The Stig
02-11-2012, 07:09 PM
Ok, so I gotta throw this out there, opinion-wise.

im thinking of 1 binder per vehicle.

Binder has freq's, grids, POC's,(Point Of Ccntact), routes, and a checklist of stuff that needs to be with that vehicle. Basically a checklist before you Bug Out. Ive even went as far as thinking about forwarding a copy of the binder to the MAG leader, so this way, for security aspects, he knows whats coming into his AO so he can plan accordingly. IE; this vehicle should have this person, these supplies ect ect, maybe even include a basic passport style photo of the person who should be driving the vehicle. Am i going full retard or am I onto something here?

While you may be full retard, it ain't because of this. This is great stuff. You know that in the heat of the moment you aren't going to remember this stuff. And what if you have to send Mrs Stormfeather out without you, for whatever reason, having written instructions is fantastic.

This is good stuff and I quoted it merely to repeat what a good idea it is.

mitunnelrat
02-12-2012, 06:05 PM
Me three! I have some stuff written down, but not near what I need to. MTR good idea about the white board.

Thanks, it helps out a lot, and it works pretty good for brainstorming too. I keep a working area open to draw or write things out that I can't easily do on the computer, and saves paper.