PDA

View Full Version : How much water do you have on-hand right now?

The Stig
02-06-2012, 11:21 PM
Simple question.

How much water, potable or otherwise, do you have in storage, or easily accessible should the water quit flowing out the tap?

"Easily accessible" means either in your house, garage or barn. If you have acreage, you can count a pond/stream assuming they are reasonably accessible in adverse conditions.

Grumpy Old Man
02-06-2012, 11:30 PM
65 gallons.

TroubleShooter
02-06-2012, 11:35 PM
2500 gallon

Sniper-T
02-06-2012, 11:41 PM
150,000+ gallons. If I count the pond in my back 40, twice that

LUNCHBOX
02-06-2012, 11:43 PM
"I have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you"--lol.

I keep roughly 80 gallons in 5 gallon jugs for the water fountains. (Thanks Troubleshooter) also have 600-800 gallons in the well but we use city water. Our pond is only @100 yards from the house so easily accessible. There's also a pond next door....I don't worry about water to much.

The Stig
02-06-2012, 11:44 PM
"I have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you"--lol.

http://www.movie-vault.com/ckeditor/images/userfiles/images/caddyshack2.jpg

LUNCHBOX
02-06-2012, 11:54 PM
^^^^Awesome.

helomech
02-06-2012, 11:57 PM
I have two wells, one deep 350 feet, wont be much good once the fuel runs out. Have a shallow well 44 feet, can get it with a rope and a bucket. Also have a pond, which is one acre surface area and 14 feet deep. I am okay on water and a way to purify it.

rentprop1
02-07-2012, 12:32 AM
whats so wrong with pool water, and the lake up the street ??

bacpacker
02-07-2012, 12:36 AM
165 gallons in barrels. 19 gallons in containers. 2 ponds next door of at least an acre. a lake 1.5 miles down the road. Multiple filters, and purification treatments. Water is not a problem if bugging in.

Taz Baby
02-07-2012, 02:51 AM
constant running streams, creeks, waterfalls , natural spring is what we are tapped into now. We did a stream water test last year on the water. Took a 5 gallon bucket, filled it up, let it set for a year and then checked it. 100%Pure water. Did the same thing with our spring water. But our drinking water goes from the rock into a water tank, filtered into a barrel, then to the inside faucets. We run thatwater through a Berkey machine and drink just to be safe.

izzyscout21
02-07-2012, 02:10 PM
40 gallons bottled.

Then there's the pond across the street.

Prolly about 150 gallons in the floor of my bunker right now.............

msomnipotent
02-07-2012, 03:33 PM
I only have about 40 gallons in containers and 6 Costco cases of bottled water. The nearest creek is less than a mile from us, but I'm not counting on using it. I plan on adding more and getting two rain barrels this spring.

ladyhk13
02-07-2012, 09:24 PM
DH will not stock water. We have a large creek on this property and a Katydine filter so we can use that if needed to drink. On the new property we have enough streams, creeks, waterfalls, springs we won't need to store it but he better get me a set up like Taz! LOL!

Gunfixr
02-08-2012, 04:45 AM
About 50 gallons. No ponds, lakes, or streams.
There is a waterway about 1/4 mile away, brackish. Usable with the proper treatment.
I just don't have room for more.

Got a nice filter, can use almost anything I find. Planning a desalinator, to make that brackish water more usable.

apssbc
02-11-2012, 11:52 PM
I have 40 in the hot water tank. Plus whatever else is in the pipes that I can drain. I have city water and have a filter on my faucet. I also have multiple water treatment methods and can hit the pond 100 meters from my house. I wont lie Im slacking on the stored water but I plan on bugging out if I need more than what the tank provides. I have my camelback full in my bob.

I got some work to do I think. I want to drive a hand well in my yard. Also I have a damp basement almost 98% moisture content on the floor so I want to dig a relief pit in the basement and install a sump pump. But this could also double as a water source.

Evolver
02-12-2012, 03:02 PM
We try to maintain 15 cases of 36 count bottled water, above ground pool, rain barrels (220gal) and the best part is we have an artesian well that has 3 PSI constant pressure behind it so there is no need for a pump. For filtration we have a gravity fed ceramic filter.

Grumpy Old Man
03-27-2012, 10:46 PM
Update: I am now up to 105 gallons after filling the 15 gallon water barrels I got at the feed store for $15@.

Sniper-T
03-27-2012, 11:33 PM
For everyone thinking to use their local running, or stationary water, myself included, have you ever heard of Beaver Fever???

No not THAT you sickos!! This:

Giardiasis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giardiasis)

even in clean running water, it is possible. your filters will take care of it, but be warned. it is NOT a lot of fun.

mollypup
03-28-2012, 04:08 PM
I don't actually know, I never counted all the 2-liter bottles that I've been filling up for the past 2 years. But with those and with the 3 water barrels, I think we might have 350 or so gallons.

I wouldn't drink the water from the water barrels unless it was filtered/and/or treated with bleach.

Foulball
03-28-2012, 04:23 PM
About 20 gallons at home and 10 at work. Definitely need a lot more. I drink over 2 gallons a day by myself, so I figure if I want a 30 day supply of just drinking water I'll need 60 gallons just for myself. Add in the wife & baby and I'll need over 100 gallons just for drinking. Add in water for dishes, showers, etc. and we are up to 200 gallons for just a 30 day supply. Uggghhhh! I need more room!

:(

Sniper-T
03-28-2012, 04:28 PM
dont forget cooking, laundry, handwashing, flushing, ...

IDTANDY
03-28-2012, 06:52 PM
I've been researching solar powered well pumps and systems.
A little expensive but alot more elsewhere ,for a remote BOL you'll really cut down on fuel use.

products (http://www.solarpumps.com/products.html)

Here's the spec on their pumps
BL40Q (535440)
Quad piston BRUSHLESS motor solar pump. Replaces most other solar pumps.
Flow decreases as pressure and lift increase
Max lift 185 feet
No harm to run dry
Can build 85 pounds of pressure

ladyhk13
03-28-2012, 10:08 PM
Just curious about those of you using soda bottles and other "used" containers, how often you rotate or dump the water in those bottles and put new water in them?

mollypup
03-28-2012, 11:06 PM
I drank the water out of a soda bottle that I filled up around 2 years ago. It was fine!

ladyhk13
03-28-2012, 11:16 PM
I drank the water out of a soda bottle that I filled up around 2 years ago. It was fine!

That is interesting. I can't get dh to store water. We buy all of our water and have a huge creek that we could use if needed according to him (arg!). He bought a Katydine filter that will filter forever so we are covered to drink but if it's winter I know I'm not hauling water to bathe and wash clothes or cook. Please God don't let anything happen until we get set up on the other property! Some men....

Sniper-T
03-29-2012, 12:27 AM
Lady, do you have one of those 5 gallon water dispensors? if not, pick one up! then you`ll need a couple éfew 5 gallon water bottles.
It`s a start...

bacpacker
03-29-2012, 01:30 AM
ID I've been looking at solar powered pumps. That looks to be the best looking set up I've seen yet.

IDTANDY
03-29-2012, 02:15 AM
ID I've been looking at solar powered pumps. That looks to be the best looking set up I've seen yet.

Same here,the best bang for the buck.

ladyhk13
03-29-2012, 04:12 AM
Lady, do you have one of those 5 gallon water dispensors? if not, pick one up! then you`ll need a couple éfew 5 gallon water bottles.
It`s a start...

No, we don't have one. It's a good idea but don't know if I could get him to agree. Worth a try though :)

Taz Baby
03-29-2012, 09:17 AM
We have a 7 gal water jug that we fill + 5 gal. that we take to Fla. so we can have our spring water. I hate water out of the faucet. Lady if we have any left I will give you a jug when we stop by to see you guy's. There is nothing better that ice cold 100% pure water.

ladyhk13
03-30-2012, 12:11 AM
That would be cool Taz. When we were young in upstate NY all our water came from the aquafer (sp) and we never thought about getting it from anywhere else. There were even pipes along the side of the road with water pumping out of them for people to fill their jugs if they wanted to. Being so far north it was always ice cold. Yummy!
BTW...my Greek Oregano is going NUTS so we can make a cutting for you to take home and plant if you want.

realist
03-30-2012, 04:23 AM
I figure I have about 3,500 plus a well. If needed we have a fresh water lagoon that is about 1/2 mile away.

Katrina
03-30-2012, 05:14 AM
Not nearly enough. lady, am in same boat(duh hubs won't store water, grrrr) but the sump pump runs continually year round. We have two huge gravel pits filled with water up the road about 4 blocks away and a small spring fed lake about 3 blocks away in the townships park. Oh and that lake is stocked with lots of fishies, yum!.

ladyhk13
04-01-2012, 05:19 AM
Not nearly enough. lady, am in same boat(duh hubs won't store water, grrrr) but the sump pump runs continually year round. We have two huge gravel pits filled with water up the road about 4 blocks away and a small spring fed lake about 3 blocks away in the townships park. Oh and that lake is stocked with lots of fishies, yum!.

That's great except everyone else also will think the same thing when shtf. I know that we have to have our own water and way to store it. I hope that once we get the new property going his view will change since we will be able to build large cisterns.

Katrina
04-03-2012, 08:22 PM
I have thought of that. I have plans to put in well and pump in back yard, disguised as garden frou frou. My BIL has a working pump in his back yard that everyone thinks just a kitschy garden decoration. It sits next to the mini outhouse in the garden. I ws thinking I could do the same, sorta hide it plain site?. The water table is not too far from surface here, that's why sump runs year round.

wingnutx
04-04-2012, 08:01 AM
One 1000 liter tote, plus about 10 cases of bottled.

Stormfeather
04-04-2012, 10:46 AM
About 7000 gallons, but thats going to drop once I empty out the water bladder.